About determine zero force member

In summary, zero force members are members in a structure that do not have any internal forces acting on them. They can be determined using specific rules, such as the number of members meeting at an unloaded joint, or the line of action of a load. It is important to note that zero force members can exist when viewing the joint from different perspectives and that they do not have to be perpendicular. Additionally, zero force members have no internal force acting on them.
mchei
i am confused on the determination of zero force member
image014.gif

from the above pic, the coloured beam is zero member, i know that when u view from joint B, 2 beams are zero member, but when u view from A, beam_AB is not zero, are there any contradiction?

also, i don't know why when F_AB is zero, then F_BC is also zero? becoz the beam BC don't have any supporting foce on it, am i correct?

finally, i have found 2 rule on wiki but i am confused on it.
do zero force member must not exist when u view the joint that is applied a load or it is a supporting point?

furthermore, is zero force member have zero force acting on it?

2. Homework Equations

1. If only two members meet in an unloaded joint, both are zero-force members.
2. If three members meet in an unloaded joint of which two are in a direct line with one another, then the third (perpendicular) member is a zero-force member.
3. If two members meet in a loaded joint and the line of action of the load coincides with one of the members, the other member is a zero-force member.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

coloured beam is zero force member

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mchei said:
i am confused on the determination of zero force member
image014.gif

from the above pic, the coloured beam is zero member, i know that when u view from joint B, 2 beams are zero member, but when u view from A, beam_AB is not zero, are there any contradiction?
There is no contradiction, because AB force is still zero when looking at joint A. The support reaction force from A goes into member AC as a vertical component of the force in AC, and the horizontal component of the force in AC goes into AG.
also, i don't know why when F_AB is zero, then F_BC is also zero? becoz the beam BC don't have any supporting foce on it, am i correct?
Since F_AB is 0, then, yes, there is no force applied to BC. There can't be any force in AB , because if there were, there would be no place to balance its vertical component.
finally, i have found 2 rule on wiki but i am confused on it.
Rule 2 is wrong...remove the word 'perpendicular'. DG is a zero force member, it does not have to be perpendicular.
do zero force member must not exist when u view the joint that is applied a load or it is a supporting point?
No, untrue. See rule 3, only one of the members may have zero force, or none of the members, but not all the members.
furthermore, is zero force member have zero force acting on it?
yes, no internal force acts in a zero force member, and hence, it can have no force acting on it.
2. Homework Equations

1. If only two members meet in an unloaded joint, both are zero-force members.
2. If three members meet in an unloaded joint of which two are in a direct line with one another, then the third (perpendicular) member is a zero-force member.
3. If two members meet in a loaded joint and the line of action of the load coincides with one of the members, the other member is a zero-force member.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

coloured beam is zero force member

Attachments

• image014.gif
    image014.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:

1. What is a zero force member?

A zero force member is a structural component in a truss or frame that does not experience any force or stress. This means that the member does not contribute to the overall stability or load-bearing capacity of the structure.

2. How can you determine if a member is a zero force member?

A zero force member can be determined using the method of joints or method of sections. In the method of joints, if a member is connected to three joints with no external force or moment acting on it, then it is a zero force member. In the method of sections, if a member is cut and the resulting free body diagram shows no force acting on that member, then it is a zero force member.

3. Why is it important to identify zero force members in a structure?

Identifying zero force members helps in simplifying the analysis of a structure. It allows for the reduction of unknown variables and simplifies the equations used to calculate the forces and stresses in the structure. This can save time and effort in the design and analysis process.

4. Can a zero force member become a non-zero force member?

Yes, a zero force member can become a non-zero force member if the external loading or support conditions of the structure are changed. This can cause a redistribution of forces within the structure, resulting in the previously identified zero force member now experiencing a force.

5. Are all zero force members in a structure necessary?

No, not all zero force members in a structure are necessary. In fact, in some cases, they can be removed without affecting the overall stability or load-bearing capacity of the structure. However, it is important to consult a structural engineer before making any changes to a structure.