About KE and PE of a stone falling down a tube filled with oil

In summary: It would be different each time because the stone would be experiencing a different amount of pressure from the fluid.
Iwanttolearnphysics
Homework Statement
A stone is falling at a constant velocity down a tube filled with oil. Which of the following statements about the energy changes of the stone during its motion are correct?

I. The gain in kinetic energy is less than the loss in gravitational potential energy.
II. The sum of kinetic and gravitational potential energy of the stone is constant.
III. The work done by the force of gravity has the same magnitude as the work done by Friction.
Relevant Equations
PE = mgh
KE = 1/2mv^2
This question does not have numbers, so I'm stumped. Here's my thinking.
  • (I), the gain in KE is less than the loss in GPE is correct according to the key, but I think I don't understand this conceptually. Can you ask me questions to make me think about this a bit more? I can't even form questions to ask myself. I don't get this one at all.
  • (II), According to the key, this is wrong the sum of KE and GPE is not constant. But why is that? Isn't there a formula that goes, ME = KE + PE. If that's true, then when KE changes, PE will also change, but they will still both add up to ME. Then shouldn't be ME constant?
  • (III), the work done by the force of gravity has the same magnitude as the work done by friction. This is correct because they're opposing forces in this case and they'll be equal in magnitude but in opposite directions.
Here's a picture of the question:
1637716081037.png
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the gain in kinetic energy when a mass is moving at constant velocity? As the mass falls, does it gain or lose potential energy? Start from there.

Likes Iwanttolearnphysics
kuruman said:
What is the gain in kinetic energy when a mass is moving at constant velocity? As the mass falls, does it gain or lose potential energy? Start from there.
Oh. I misunderstood the question. Okay, if its velocity is constant, that means that KE will always be the same. As the mass falls, the potential energy will decrease because of h decreasing.

Hmm. Is this something that happens in real life? Can things fall down with constant velocity?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Iwanttolearnphysics said:
Hmm. Is this something that happens in real life? Can things fall down with constant velocity?
Parachutes? Snowflakes? (no wind)

Likes Iwanttolearnphysics and PeroK
I've even seen things fall upwards, like balloons or leaves on a windy day.

kuruman said:
Parachutes? Snowflakes? (no wind)
Thank you! :D

PeroK said:
I've even seen things fall upwards, like balloons or leaves on a windy day.
Thank you! I hope you don't mind if I ask another question. Is it possible for the stone in this question to fall at a constant velocity? I mean it's affected by gravity so it should be different each time right?

Thank you! I hope you don't mind if I ask another question. Is it possible for the stone in this question to fall at a constant velocity? I mean it's affected by gravity so it should be different each time right?
Yes, it is possible for the stone to fall at constant velocity just like a parachute. Air is a viscous fluid except that its viscosity is lower than oil. A mass falling through a viscous fluid will eventually reach terminal velocity. Read about drag here. When terminal velocity is reached, the drag force (which is velocity-dependent) is equal to the force of gravity and the net force on the mass is zero. This means that, after that point, the mass will keep on moving at terminal velocity until another force stops it.

What is "it" that "should be different at each time"? A given mass falling through a given fluid will reach the same terminal velocity at all times.

Why not? Newton's laws allow forces to be balanced. An object floating on the surface of water is moving at constant velocity, with buoyancy balancing gravity. Albeit that velocity is zero. In fact, the same applies to you sitting in a chair. In that case, gravity is also balanced by the normal force.

Moreover, have you ever heard the term "terminal velocity"? A falling object will reach a maximum speed where air resistance balances gravity. For a parachutist this speed is less than for a falling person. But, nevertheless, even without a parachute you reach a maximum speed, where you are effectively no longer accelerating.

kuruman said:
Yes, it is possible for the stone to fall at constant velocity just like a parachute. Air is a viscous fluid except that its viscosity is lower than oil. A mass falling through a viscous fluid will eventually reach terminal velocity. Read about drag here. When terminal velocity is reached, the drag force (which is velocity-dependent) is equal to the force of gravity and the net force on the mass is zero. This means that, after that point, the mass will keep on moving at terminal velocity until another force stops it.

What is "it" that "should be different at each time"? A given mass falling through a given fluid will reach the same terminal velocity at all times.
Sorry for the late reply. I was really busy. Anyway, I think I misunderstood this question. For some reason, even though it says "filled with oil", I imagined something completely different! I should read the question again when I don't understand it. But it makes complete sense to me now. Thanks for the clarification!

Likes kuruman
PeroK said:
Why not? Newton's laws allow forces to be balanced. An object floating on the surface of water is moving at constant velocity, with buoyancy balancing gravity. Albeit that velocity is zero. In fact, the same applies to you sitting in a chair. In that case, gravity is also balanced by the normal force.

Moreover, have you ever heard the term "terminal velocity"? A falling object will reach a maximum speed where air resistance balances gravity. For a parachutist this speed is less than for a falling person. But, nevertheless, even without a parachute you reach a maximum speed, where you are effectively no longer accelerating.

I missed the "filled with oil" part. I was trying to solve this question during my lunch break and I'm not sure anymore if it was a good idea studying during my break, so I didn't understand what this was even asking. English is not my native language, so there are times I get a bit confused. I'm trying not to do that anymore (not the "not getting confused" part, that's completely out of my control. I mean I'm trying not to ask without reading the question over and over first), which is why I haven't been posting. I try to read the question more than 3x and if it still doesn't make sense, then that's the time I think I need a bit of help. But yeah, the question makes perfect sense now. And yes, I have heard of terminal velocity. Thank you!

1. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and potential energy in a falling stone?

The kinetic energy (KE) and potential energy (PE) of a falling stone are closely related. As the stone falls, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. This is because the stone is converting its stored potential energy into motion as it falls towards the ground.

2. How does the presence of oil in the tube affect the KE and PE of the falling stone?

The presence of oil in the tube can affect the KE and PE of the falling stone in a few ways. Firstly, the oil may provide resistance or friction, causing the stone to lose some of its kinetic energy as it falls. Secondly, the oil may also cushion the impact of the stone, reducing its potential energy as it reaches the bottom of the tube.

3. Is the KE and PE of the falling stone affected by the height of the tube?

Yes, the height of the tube can affect the KE and PE of the falling stone. The higher the tube, the greater the potential energy of the stone at the top, and the more kinetic energy it will have as it falls. This is because the stone has a greater distance to fall, and therefore more potential energy to convert into kinetic energy.

4. How does the mass of the stone affect its KE and PE as it falls down the tube?

The mass of the stone does not directly affect its KE and PE as it falls down the tube. However, a heavier stone may have more potential energy at the top of the tube due to its greater mass, and therefore more kinetic energy as it falls. This is because the potential energy of an object is proportional to its mass and height, while the kinetic energy is proportional to its mass and velocity.

5. Can the KE and PE of the falling stone be calculated using a formula?

Yes, the KE and PE of the falling stone can be calculated using the following formulas: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2 (where m is the mass of the stone and v is its velocity) and PE = m * g * h (where g is the acceleration due to gravity and h is the height of the stone). However, these formulas may need to be adjusted to account for the effects of the oil in the tube, such as friction and cushioning.