Working out the kinetic energy of a body due to a gravitational field

In summary, when setting up an energy equation, the general form is (Initial KE) + (Initial PE) + (Any other work done to the body) = (Final KE) + (Final PE). For gravitational potential energy, the initial GPE and KE are 0, and the work done by the field is GMm/x. This can be derived by integrating a force of -GMm/r^2 from infinity to x. Some sources may state that we can simply equate the work done to the kinetic energy, but this is not accurate as the work done by gravity is already accounted for in the GPE change. Therefore, potential energies are just useful ways of keeping track of the work done by their respective fields.
etotheipi
Homework Statement
Explain how to calculate the kinetic energy of a body brought from rest at infinity to some distance x from another massive body by its gravitational field.
Relevant Equations
PE = -GMm/r
Usually when setting up an energy equation I use the general form, (Initial KE) + (Initial PE) + (Any other work done to the body) = (Final KE) + (Final PE) ...

For this I said the initial GPE and KE are 0, and the work done by the field is GMm/x (derived by integrating a force of -GMm/r^2 from infinity to x)
, so I end up with the equation:

0 + (Work done) = (Final PE) + (Final KE)
GMm/x = - GMm/x + KE

However this gives me a result of KE = 2GMm/x, whilst other sources I have found state that we can simply equate the work done to the kinetic energy. I was wondering what the correct solution would be? Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
Any other work done to the body
You have already counted work done by gravity in the GPE change. It is not other work.

Likes etotheipi
haruspex said:
You have already counted work done by gravity in the GPE change. It is not other work.

I see. Would I be right in thinking then that potential energies are just useful ways of keeping track of the work done by their respective fields? It seems as though the maths works this way.

etotheipi said:
I see. Would I be right in thinking then that potential energies are just useful ways of keeping track of the work done by their respective fields? It seems as though the maths works this way.
Yes.

1. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy in a gravitational field?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy in a gravitational field is K.E. = mgh, where m is the mass of the body, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the body.

2. How does the height of the body affect its kinetic energy in a gravitational field?

The height of the body directly affects its potential energy in a gravitational field, which is then converted to kinetic energy as the body falls. The higher the body is, the more potential energy it has, and therefore the more kinetic energy it will have when it falls.

3. Can the kinetic energy of a body in a gravitational field be negative?

No, the kinetic energy of a body in a gravitational field cannot be negative. This is because kinetic energy is a measure of an object's motion, and a negative value would indicate that the object is moving in the opposite direction.

4. How does the mass of the body affect its kinetic energy in a gravitational field?

The mass of the body does not directly affect its kinetic energy in a gravitational field. However, a heavier object will have more potential energy due to its greater weight, which will then be converted to kinetic energy as the object falls.

5. What is the unit of measurement for kinetic energy in a gravitational field?

The unit of measurement for kinetic energy in a gravitational field is joules (J). This is the same unit of measurement for all types of kinetic energy.