About oxidation and reduction in organic Chemistry

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of oxidation and reduction in chemistry, and how it applies to organic chemistry. It was noted that in organic chemistry, oxidation is often simply the addition of oxygen or the addition of hydrogen, while reduction is the loss of oxygen or the loss of a halogen. It was also mentioned that the conversion of a C-H bond to a C-O bond can be thought of as oxidation. Additionally, the conversation touched on the complications of applying the concept of oxidation and reduction to aromatic compounds in organic chemistry. Finally, it was stated that redox potentials are not commonly used in organic chemistry.
samy4408
TL;DR Summary
A problem with the concept of oxidation and reduction in organic chemistry .
We studied in chemistry that the concept of oxidation and reduction is the exchange of electrons between two chemical substance ,but when i started to study organic chemistry i saw that when we talk about for example the oxidation of a compound it can loss atoms and change his constitution .That seems not compatible with the first definition

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
You do know that converting SO2 to SO3 is an oxidation? Same about MnO2 to MnO42-?

the problem is that doesn't really match the definition , we don't see clearly the exchange of electrons .
In the conversion of cl to cl- it is clear that it is a reduction we see that the cl accept the electron , but in the case of converting SO2 to SO3 it is not as simple as the first example .

Last edited:
jim mcnamara said:
Have you learned about redox potential? Redox (reduction/oxidation) is "all about electrons", which is a way to understand what you are asking.

Maybe this will help, if it is too advanced we can help you find something better.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/redox-potential
So it is all about comparing the redox potential between the two compounds (when the reaction is not simply the exchange of electron ).

samy4408 said:
So it is all about comparing the redox potential between the two compounds (when the reaction is not simply the exchange of electron ).
He's talking about examples like CH3CH2CH3 reacting to form CH3CH=CH2 and similar examples. Or CH3CH=CH2 reacting to form CH3CHClCH3. Or hydrolysis reactions where water is added across a double bond. Obvious things like an alcohol oxidising to a carboxylic acid are easier to understand as oxidation.

The answer is that in Organic chemistry it is often simply addition of oxygen = oxidation, and addition of hydrogen is reduction. It can be a bit tricky in Organic Chemistry to rationalise the standard add electrons / remove electrons concept because it almost never looks like that. Redox potentials don't get used in organic chemistry.

Likes jim mcnamara
thanks a lot !

For my organic chemistry class, we defined oxidation and reduction this way:

Oxidation is the addition of O/O2, addition of X2 (halogens), or loss of H2.

Reduction is the addition of H2/H-, loss of O/O2, or loss of X2.

I also found it useful to think of oxidation as the conversion of a C-H bond to a C-O bond.
I am not sure if this answers your question, but I hope it is helpful.

Likes samy4408
Fig Neutron said:

I also found it useful to think of oxidation as the conversion of a C-H bond to a C-O bond.
thanks a lot !

Fig Neutron said:

This is probably a better answer than my earlier one. As I'm an Inorganic Chemist / NMR Spectroscopist, I was digging into my memory for a simple answer and forgot the extras included in the above.

Likes samy4408 and jim mcnamara
I'm not sure if I understand the OP correctly, but "oxidation/reduction of a compound" implies that there is a certain atom within that compound that changes its oxidation number. For example, when people say "oxidize CH3CHO into CH3COOH", they are actually referring to the carbon atom of the carbonyl group where its oxidation number changes from +2 to +3 during the reaction.
A more complicated case in organic chemistry is oxidation/reduction of a group of atom within the compound where aromaticity is involved. For example, you can oxidize benzene into benzene radical cation, and you may ask which of the six carbon atom has changed its oxidation number. Well, it's not an atom, but atoms because the orbital involved in the loss of an electron is the aromatic part of benzene, which is delocalized throughout the six carbon atoms. In this case, you can treat the aromatic part of benzene as if it was acting like a single atom (I admit this might not be the proper way to think about it, but for the sake of discussion, it's easier to understand).

Does this answer your question?

DrJohn said:
Redox potentials don't get used in organic chemistry.
That's not necessarily true. We do use redox potential in organic chemistry, especially when it comes to catalysts. I mean if it was true, we won't be able to understand photosynthesis.

• Informative
Likes samy4408

1. What is oxidation and reduction in organic chemistry?

Oxidation and reduction, also known as redox reactions, are chemical processes that involve the transfer of electrons between molecules. In organic chemistry, these reactions involve the addition or removal of oxygen, hydrogen, or electrons from a molecule.

2. How do you determine if a molecule has been oxidized or reduced?

The oxidation state of an element in a molecule can be determined by comparing it to its standard state. If the oxidation state has increased, the molecule has been oxidized. If the oxidation state has decreased, the molecule has been reduced.

3. What is the role of oxidizing and reducing agents in organic chemistry?

Oxidizing agents are substances that accept electrons from other molecules, causing them to be oxidized. Reducing agents, on the other hand, donate electrons to other molecules, causing them to be reduced. Both of these agents play a crucial role in redox reactions by facilitating the transfer of electrons.

4. Can you give an example of an oxidation and reduction reaction in organic chemistry?

An example of an oxidation and reduction reaction in organic chemistry is the oxidation of alcohols to form aldehydes or ketones. In this reaction, the alcohol molecule loses hydrogen atoms and gains oxygen atoms, resulting in an increase in its oxidation state.

5. How do oxidation and reduction reactions affect the properties of organic compounds?

Oxidation and reduction reactions can significantly alter the physical and chemical properties of organic compounds. They can change the solubility, reactivity, and stability of molecules, as well as impact their color, odor, and taste. These reactions are essential in the synthesis and breakdown of organic compounds in living organisms.