? about Soldering Iron Tip Care

In summary, some reviewers have claimed that the new "lead-free" technology has reduced the lifespan of Weller WTCP tips. To extend the lifespan of these tips, it is recommended to use the lowest temperature tip possible and wipe it on a soft sponge with a low water content. Using 60:40, Pb-Sn eutectic solder with a bit of copper can also help preserve the tip. Additionally, it is not necessary to use ROHS Pb free solder for certain purposes. WTCP tips are available at reasonable prices and it is advised to keep a few in stock.
meBigGuy
Gold Member
I have a Weller WTCP station (antique) that I just bought new tips for. I read in some tip reviews that the new "lead-free" technology has ruined the lifespan of tips. Does anyone have any tricks or hints to lengthen the lifespan of these new tips? Any process that can improve the tip? Any tricks you do to keep them functional longer (beyond turning the iron off).

Engineering news on Phys.org
Use the lowest temperature tip that will fully melt the solder.

Wipe the tip on a soft sponge to remove excess solder. I wet the sponge with 50% glycol coolant which is hygroscopic, so it is always available and does not dry out. Low water content in the sponge preserves the temperature of the tip while wiping.

A soft sponge will not damage the tip. Stainless steel wool works OK with bare copper tips, but it will remove the protective plating and destroy a WTCP tip.

You can often use the old 60:40, Pb-Sn eutectic solder, preferably with a tad of Cu to preserve the tip.
ROHS Pb free solder is not required for prototyping, critical process control or data communication equipment.

WTCP tips are available at reasonable prices, don't pay the RRP, you can often do better. Keep a few in stock. They work well, so what if they wear out, they easily pay their way.

1. How often should I clean my soldering iron tip?

The frequency of cleaning your soldering iron tip depends on how often you use it. As a general rule, it is recommended to clean the tip after every use to prevent oxidation and build-up of contaminants. You can also clean it during longer soldering sessions if you notice a decrease in performance.

2. What is the best way to clean a soldering iron tip?

The best way to clean a soldering iron tip is by using a damp sponge or brass wire cleaning ball. Gently wipe the tip while the iron is hot to remove any excess solder, dirt, or debris. Avoid using abrasive materials as they can damage the tip.

3. How do I prevent my soldering iron tip from corroding?

To prevent corrosion, it is important to properly maintain and clean your soldering iron tip. Make sure to clean it after every use and keep it in a dry place. You can also use tip tinner or a protective coating to help prevent oxidation and extend the life of your tip.

4. When should I replace my soldering iron tip?

You should replace your soldering iron tip when it becomes heavily pitted, corroded, or damaged. This can affect the performance of the tip and make it difficult to create a good solder joint. It is also recommended to replace the tip every 6-12 months depending on usage.

5. Can I sharpen a dull soldering iron tip?

No, it is not recommended to sharpen a dull soldering iron tip. This can cause damage to the plating and alter the shape of the tip, affecting its performance. It is best to replace the tip with a new one when it becomes too dull to use.