Comparing different soldering irons

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Soldering
In summary, the author's 25W soldering iron won't solder wires rated for AC 15A 220V, so they were advised to buy a second-hand Weller or a variable temperature pen-type soldering iron. The author considered buying a heavy duty high power one with no temperature control, but they found that the price is too high. They decided to buy a 60W analog variable temperature pen-type soldering iron.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
In a recent thread of mine, a conclusion was reached that the 25W soldering iron that I own currently, won't go too far. It can successfully solder THT and SMD components on a PCB, but it fails when soldering wires rated for AC 15A 220V.

I was advised by many to buy a second-hand Weller, but considering shipping charges to my country, it is not affordable at this moment. I checked Amazon India, and found that I had three options which I can afford:
  • A soldering station that supports temperatures up to 480°C or 896°F. However, the power rating is not mentioned, and I do not want to push a 40W soldering station to 480°C (see last part of the post). Link here.
  • A variable temperature pen-type soldering iron. As @Rive had said before, it is better to keep the AC away from hands. But for introductory work like I do, maybe I will have to take that risk. Some are digital, while one is analog. The analog one offers extra soldering bits, but reading the reviews, it seems that the tips tend to oxidise easily.
  • Heavy duty high power ones with no temperature control.
    • https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HM34RFZ/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (temperatures upto 600°C)
    • https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HM11MQQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Which do you think I should buy?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The 60W analog looks to be a good bet for starting out.

The trick to keeping the tips in good condition is when you are thru with a joint and put the iron down be sure there is solder on the tip! That way the solder oxidizes and not the tip. When ready for the next joint, wipe the tip on a damp sponge to remove the old solder and immediately add a thin film of fresh solder to the tip.

If there are spots on the tip that will not accept the fresh solder, wipe and try again. If after 3 attempts there are still spots that do not accept solder, rub the tip on a piece of paper to clean it. It is just abrasive enough to remove the burned flux without damaging the tip. I use ordinary printer paper, there always seems to be a few of those sheets around. :smile: Do not use glossy paper, the glossy coating will foul the tip.

Have Fun!

Cheers,
Tom

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu
I do not like any of options in your list. Having controls on iron itself is the recipe for awkward handling and soldering failures.
By the way, i use 40W iron with digital controller in separate block for generic soldering.
It solders fine Sn-Pb parts at 400C settings and Sn-Cu-Ag at 450C settings.

It struggles with AC wires unless set at maximal power though - for AWG20 or such you likely need 60W.

Generally, good soldering is rapid soldering - if it takes more than 3 seconds per joint, than you likely do not have enough power.

Wrichik Basu said:
Which do you think I should buy?
I think you can drop the 'heavy duty' ones.

About the rest, I don't see too much difference. What you should consider is , that at some point you will need tip replacements. This is not the issue of quality: with time and usage every tip degrades (some just faster than others), even Weller types. The important part is, that if they are available or not? So I would check out the manufacturers one by one and try to pinpoint the exact tip types for the different soldering irons: whether they can be bought (this also includes your chances to actually buy them).

Regarding the cheap 60W with the extra tips: the price of that set is so low (at least, it is low right now, as I see it: ₹ 628.00) that you won't get even just the same kind of tip set (!) for a decent soldering iron for that price. It is likely a disposable item - fortunately, it comes at a matching price.

Likes Wrichik Basu
@Tom.G thanks for the advice on tip maintenance.

@Rive yes, you are right - at this price, the irons are kind of use-and-throw. The good ones (station type) are > INR 3k. But I will post questions on Amazon to check whether spare tips are available.

1. What is the difference between a soldering iron and a soldering station?

A soldering iron is a simple tool that consists of a heated metal tip used to melt solder and join electronic components. A soldering station, on the other hand, is a more advanced tool that includes a temperature control unit, a stand, and often other features such as a cleaning sponge or a soldering iron holder. A soldering station offers more precise temperature control and stability, making it a better choice for delicate soldering tasks.

2. How do I choose the right wattage for a soldering iron?

The wattage of a soldering iron determines how quickly it can heat up and maintain its temperature. For general electronics soldering, a wattage between 20-40 watts is usually sufficient. Higher wattage irons are better for larger and thicker components, while lower wattage irons are better for smaller and more delicate work. It is also important to consider the type of soldering you will be doing and the type of solder you will be using when choosing the wattage of your soldering iron.

3. What is the difference between a chisel tip and a conical tip?

A chisel tip is a flat, wide tip that is best for soldering larger components and making broad joints. A conical tip, on the other hand, is a pointed tip that is better for precise and detailed soldering work. It is important to choose the right tip for your specific soldering task to ensure the best results.

4. Can I use lead-free solder with any soldering iron?

Yes, you can use lead-free solder with any soldering iron. However, lead-free solder requires higher temperatures to melt and may not work as well with lower wattage irons. It is important to check the specifications of your soldering iron to ensure it can reach the necessary temperature for lead-free soldering.

5. How do I maintain and clean my soldering iron?

To maintain and clean your soldering iron, make sure to regularly wipe the tip with a damp sponge or brass wool to remove any excess solder or debris. It is also recommended to periodically clean the tip with a specialized tip cleaner or flux remover. Additionally, make sure to store your soldering iron in a clean and dry place, and replace the tip when it becomes worn or damaged.