About steel balls of different masses and net force

In summary, the individual in the conversation initially struggled to understand why the two balls, with different masses, have the same net force in a scenario where they are affected by drag and gravity. However, after considering the constant speeds and analyzing the problem without the given options, they were able to understand the concept and solve the problem correctly. The important lesson learned is to approach questions from different perspectives and not be misled by the information given or not given by the question setter.
Iwanttolearnphysics
Homework Statement
"Two steel balls, of mass M and 2M fall at constant speeds in a tube filled with oil. Which of the following correctly compares the magnitude of the net force and of the drag (resistance) force on the two balls?"
Relevant Equations
Fnet = ma
photo_2021-11-17_09-39-13.jpg

I don't understand why the answer is B. Here's my thinking:
  • Since it wasn't mentioned that there's any other force aside from the drag force, then Fnet = Drag force
  • I know that Fnet = ma, and since they have different masses, Fnet must be different for both balls?
  • Acceleration cannot be different because acceleration due to gravity is what's causing them to move downwards.
  • What other force am I missing here? Is it wrong to equate Fnet = drag force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Iwanttolearnphysics said:
it wasn't mentioned that there's any other force aside from the drag force
Then why are they descending?
Fnet = ma, and since they have different masses, Fnet must be different for both balls?
Unless a=...?
Acceleration cannot be different because acceleration due to gravity is what's causing them to move downwards.
Gravity exerts a force. It does not dictate the acceleration. That depends on the net force.

You are told the balls move at constant speeds (though not necessarily the same speed). What does that tell you about their accelerations?

Likes Iwanttolearnphysics
haruspex said:
Then why are they descending?

Unless a=...?

Gravity exerts a force. It does not dictate the acceleration. That depends on the net force.

You are told the balls move at constant speeds (though not necessarily the same speed). What does that tell you about their accelerations?
Thank you. I think I understand it now. They're descending because of the force of gravity. But I still don't understand why they have the same net force. In other kinematic problems where the balls are interacting, we solve them by adding their masses.
  • Fnet = ma
  • Fnet = 3a
For both of them, Fnet is 3a if we were to solve it like above. But I don't see why because they're not even interacting.

Thank you for pointing out that gravity exerts a force and that it does not dictate acceleration. I completely forgot about that.

For your last question, I solved it like this (supposing that Fnet is 3a)

Ball M = Suppose that M is 1.

Fnet = Fg-FF
3a = mg-FF
3a = 9.81-Ff
Ff = -3a+9.81

Ball 3M = Suppose that M is 1.
Fnet = Fg-Ff
3a = 3(9.81)-Ff
Ff = -3a+29.3

I still don't completely get it. Please tell me if I made any mistake. Appreciate it.

You still have not considered the implication of the constant speeds. What does that tell you about the accelerations?

Likes hutchphd
haruspex said:
You still have not considered the implication of the constant speeds. What does that tell you about the accelerations?
Constant speed means zero acceleration. I completely get it now. Thank you!

Constant speed means zero acceleration. I completely get it now. Thank you!
I suggest you failed to answer this question correctly not because of a direct lack of understanding of physics, but because you were fooled to some extent by the question setter's trickery.

If the question setter had added a third column for gravitational force, then you would have analysed the question very differently. You even assumed explicitly in your original post that there were no other forces.

Also, by giving you only the options "same" and "different", the question setter managed to fool you again, because constant speed means zero net force.

If the question had asked you to list the forces on each object, you might have done something like this:

M: Net force = 0, Gravity = Mg, Drag = -Mg

2M: Net force = 0, Gravity = 2Mg, Drag = -2Mg

I suggest that if you had not been given the table, you might have analysed and solved this question completely?

The lesson I would learn from this is to broaden the way you think about these questions. If you are given a multiple choice like this, there is a case to be made for ignoring the options until you've analysed the problem independently yourself - so as not be be led astray by the specific information you have been given and the information the question setter chose not to include.

Last edited:
Likes Iwanttolearnphysics
PeroK said:
I suggest you failed to answer this question correctly not because of a direct lack of understanding of physics, but because you were fooled to some extent by the question setter's trickery.

If the question setter had added a third column for gravitational force, then you would have analysed the question very differently. You even assumed explicitly in your original post that there were no other forces.

Also, by giving you only the options "same" and "different", the question setter managed to fool you again, because constant speed means zero net force.

If the question had asked you to list the forces on each object, you might have done something like this:

M: Net force = 0, Gravity = Mg, Drag = -Mg

2M: Net force = 0, Gravity = 2MG, Drag = -2MG

I suggest that if you had not been given the table, you might have analysed and solved this question completely?

The lesson I would learn from this is to broaden the way you think about these questions. If you are given a multiple choice like this, there is a case to be made for ignoring the options until you've analysed the problem independently yourself - so as not be be led astray by the specific information you have been given and the information the question setter chose not to include.
Thanks. That's a good tip. I won't read the choices next time, so that I can work through it on my own. I was constantly doubting myself while answering this question.

Thanks. That's a good tip. I won't read the choices next time, so that I can work through it on my own. I was constantly doubting myself while answering this question.
I certainly got confused by those options until I stopped looking at them and took a fresh look at the physics of the scenario.

1. What is the relationship between the mass of a steel ball and the net force acting on it?

The mass of a steel ball and the net force acting on it are directly proportional. This means that as the mass of the steel ball increases, the net force acting on it also increases.

2. How does the mass of a steel ball affect its acceleration when a net force is applied?

The mass of a steel ball has an inverse relationship with its acceleration when a net force is applied. This means that as the mass of the steel ball increases, its acceleration decreases.

3. Can a steel ball with a smaller mass have a greater net force acting on it than a steel ball with a larger mass?

Yes, a steel ball with a smaller mass can have a greater net force acting on it than a steel ball with a larger mass. This is because the net force also depends on the magnitude and direction of the applied force.

4. How does the mass of a steel ball affect its inertia?

The mass of a steel ball directly affects its inertia, which is the resistance of an object to change its state of motion. A steel ball with a larger mass has a greater inertia and requires a greater force to change its motion compared to a steel ball with a smaller mass.

5. Is there a limit to how much the net force can affect the motion of a steel ball?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the net force can affect the motion of a steel ball. This is because of the concept of terminal velocity, where the force of air resistance balances out the force of gravity and the steel ball reaches a constant speed.