Motion of a Parachuter (Terminal Velocity, Time of Flight, Distance)

I_Try_Math
Homework Statement
A skydiver is at an altitude of 1520 m. After 10.0 seconds of free fall, he opens his parachute and finds that the air resistance, F_D, is given by the formula F_D = -b*v where b is a constant and v is the velocity. If b = .75 and the mass of the skydiver is 82.0 kg, first set up differential equations for the velocity and the position, and then find: (a) the speed of the skydiver when the parachute opens, (b) the distance fallen before the parachute opens, (c) the terminal velocity after the parachute opens (find the limiting velocity), and (d) the time the skydiver is in the air after the parachute opens.
Relevant Equations
F = ma
F_D = -0.75*v
(a) -98 m/s
(b) 490 m

(c)
My understanding is that at terminal velocity the net force in the y direction must be zero.
Therefore:
F_y = ma = 0

Only drag and weight forces act on the skydiver so:

F_D + mg = 0

F_D = -mg

-0.75*v = -82*(-9.8)

v = -1071.5 m/s

The value I get for v appears to be incorrect based on my textbook and common sense. However, in the abstract, the math appears to be logical. Please help me understand what I am missing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I_Try_Math said:
F_D - ma = 0
Is "a" supposed to be an acceleration, or is "ma" supposed to be the force of gravity?
If the second, with no acceleration, the forces add to zero.

Likes MatinSAR and I_Try_Math
haruspex said:
Is "a" supposed to be an acceleration, or is "ma" supposed to be the force of gravity?
If the second, with no acceleration, the forces add to zero.
Oh yes I meant it to be mg instead of ma.

I_Try_Math said:
Oh yes I meant it to be mg instead of ma.
I edited my post to reflect that.

There ought to be units for b. If none given then I guess you are right to assume kg/s, which gives that huge velocity.
But at those speeds it should be quadratic. Are you sure it's not ##bv^2##?

Do you know what the answer is supposed to be?

• Informative
Likes MatinSAR, I_Try_Math and Delta2
haruspex said:
There ought to be units for b. If none given then I guess you are right to assume kg/s, which gives that huge velocity.
But at those speeds it should be quadratic. Are you sure it's not ##bv^2##?

Do you know what the answer is supposed to be?
The textbook claims the answer for (c) is 107 m/s.

1706331853214.png

Here is the exact text of the question with the given formula for F_D.

Likes Delta2
your answer is 1071.5 while the book answer is 107 so it seems the one is 10 times the other, it must be some unit conversion issue that has to do with the units of b=0.75.

Likes I_Try_Math
Or that the book has a typo in the answer key...

Likes I_Try_Math
Delta2 said:
Or that the book has a typo in the answer key...
Ok thank you, I believe I've seen at least one other typo in the answer key so that is possible.

Likes Delta2
Btw is there a clever shortcut for d) or we have to use the differential equation solution y(t), set $$y(t)=1520-\frac{1}{2}g(10)^2=1020 (g=10m/s^2)$$ and solve for t?

• Informative
Likes I_Try_Math, MatinSAR and Delta2

1. How is terminal velocity calculated for a parachuter?

Terminal velocity for a parachuter is calculated by balancing the force of gravity with the air resistance. The formula for terminal velocity is Vt = sqrt((2mg) / (ρACd)), where Vt is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the parachuter, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the air density, A is the cross-sectional area of the parachuter, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

2. What factors affect the time of flight for a parachuter?

The time of flight for a parachuter is affected by factors such as the height from which the parachuter jumps, the terminal velocity achieved, and any external forces acting on the parachuter during the descent. Generally, a higher jump height and lower terminal velocity result in a longer time of flight.

3. How is the distance traveled by a parachuter calculated?

The distance traveled by a parachuter can be calculated using the formula d = Vt * t, where d is the distance traveled, Vt is the terminal velocity, and t is the time of flight. This formula assumes constant velocity during the descent.

4. What is the relationship between air resistance and the motion of a parachuter?

As a parachuter falls through the air, air resistance acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the parachuter. Initially, air resistance is low and the parachuter accelerates due to gravity. As the parachuter's speed increases, air resistance also increases until it balances the force of gravity, resulting in a constant terminal velocity.

5. How does the mass of the parachuter affect their motion?

The mass of the parachuter affects their motion by influencing the force of gravity acting on them. A heavier parachuter will experience a greater force of gravity, leading to a higher terminal velocity and shorter time of flight compared to a lighter parachuter. However, the mass of the parachuter does not affect the distance traveled during the descent, assuming all other factors remain constant.