Abrahams-Minkowskii Controversy: Is Phonon Momentum Defined?

• Thread starter pervect
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation revolves around the issue of determining the correct law for the momentum of a photon in a media - the Abrahams or Minkowski momentum. The speaker suggests considering a physical model of a crystal lattice instead of an ideal dielectric media, where the process of light propagation can be thought of as the absorption and re-emission of photons, creating phonons which may not have a definite value of momentum. The concept of crystal momentum is introduced and the speaker proposes that determining the momentum of photons and phonons separately may be possible. They also mention the existence of literature on the Abrahams-Minkowski issue and express interest in papers discussing their proposed viewpoint.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
A recent thread involves some papers on the issue of determining which of the proposed laws for the momentum of a photon in a media is correct, the Abrahams or the Minkowskii momentum.

I was thinking about the issue, and I have a rather different take on the same fundamental question, one sufficiently different that I thought it needed a different thread. Rather than consider an ideal strutureless "dielectric media", let's consider a more physical model, where we have a crystal lattice with well-defined properties including but not limited to a dielectric constant. Then the process of light propagation through this lattice can be thought of as the absorption and re-emission of photons, a process that has been described (at least here on PF) as coherent scattering.

First question: Is it basically correct to say that when the photon is absorbed, it transfers its momentum to an atom in the lattice, and this creates a quantized lattice vibration, a "phonon"?

Second question: Do phonons have a definite value of momentum? This is an area outside my field of knowledge, and might be best in a quantum forum, but it's one point in the larger question which relates mostly to relativity.

The reason I suspect phonons may not have a definite value of momentum is from reading the Wiki article, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Phonon&oldid=690954197

Crystal momentum

By analogy to photons and matter waves, phonons have been treated with wave vector
4df93216045754ad4179e117dc3e7c9a.png
as though it has a momentum [PLAIN]https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/f/5/e/f5e5b0c106e07c9ea90e7f1df9b86e2f.png, however, this is not strictly correct, because https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/f/5/e/f5e5b0c106e07c9ea90e7f1df9b86e2f.png is not actually a physical momentum; it is called the crystal momentum or pseudomomentum.

If we can meaningfully define a certain amount of momentum to the phonon, it seems to me that we can determine what part of the momentum is "photon momentum", and what part of the momentum is "crystal momentum" carried by the phonon.

If we can't, then at the moment I don't see any way of meaningfully splitting up the momentum in this manner - a point of view that has some precedent, apparently.

I do believe that the propagation speed of phonons should be slower (about the speed of sound) than the propagation of light, which suggest to me that the process of momentum transport via phonos and photons distinguishable, though at the moment I don't have a clear enough formulation to actually propose an experimental test.

There is a vast amount of literature on the Abrahams-Minkowskii issue, which I'm afraid I've barely read. So I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of papers that might consider things from the point of view I am suggesting, or perhaps shoot it down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pervect said:
I don't see any way of meaningfully splitting up the momentum in this manner - a point of view that has some precedent, apparently.
The paper that I found most convincing on the topic took this stance, but it was a purely classical paper and did not discuss photons or phonons at all.

Are you interested in classical treatments, or only quantum treatments?

Last edited:

1. What is the Abrahams-Minkowskii Controversy?

The Abrahams-Minkowskii Controversy is a debate in the field of condensed matter physics regarding the definition of momentum for phonons, which are quantized lattice vibrations in a solid material. This controversy arose from the disagreement between two scientists, Peter W. Anderson and Leonid P. Pitaevskii, over the definition of phonon momentum.

2. What are the two proposed definitions of phonon momentum?

The two proposed definitions of phonon momentum are the Abrahams definition and the Minkowskii definition. The Abrahams definition states that phonon momentum is equal to the product of its group velocity and Planck's constant, while the Minkowskii definition states that phonon momentum is equal to its energy divided by its velocity.

3. What are the implications of the Abrahams-Minkowskii Controversy?

The Abrahams-Minkowskii Controversy has significant implications for the understanding of phonon dynamics and their contribution to thermal conductivity in materials. The two definitions of phonon momentum lead to different predictions for thermal conductivity, which can affect the design and performance of materials in various applications.

4. What are the arguments for and against each definition?

The main argument for the Abrahams definition is that it is consistent with the definition of momentum for other particles, such as photons. On the other hand, the main argument for the Minkowskii definition is that it is based on the classical definition of momentum and is more intuitive. Critics of the Abrahams definition argue that it does not take into account the wave-like nature of phonons, while critics of the Minkowskii definition argue that it does not consider the quantized nature of phonons.

5. Has a consensus been reached on the definition of phonon momentum?

No, a consensus has not been reached on the definition of phonon momentum. The debate between the two definitions continues, with various experiments and theoretical studies being conducted to provide evidence for one or the other. Some scientists suggest that a unified definition may be needed, while others argue that the two definitions can coexist depending on the specific properties of the material being studied.