Photon-Phonon Cavity Spectrum

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hamiltonian for an optomechanical system with a movable end mirror, where the mirror vibrations are quantized and the photons in the cavity mode are created using ##a^{\dagger}##. The steady-state solution for the average photon and phonon numbers as a function of detuning is plotted, showing two peaks at ##\Delta = 0## and ##\Delta = \omega_m##. The speaker understands the first peak as having a high effective coupling due to a large average photon number, but is unsure why the second peak has the same height despite having fewer resonant photons in the cavity. They also ask for a citation for the Hamiltonian.
LionCereals
TL;DR Summary
How can I explain the average occupation numbers of a coupled cavity-mirror system?
I am considering the following Hamiltonian:
$$H = -\Delta a^{\dagger}a + \omega_m b^{\dagger}b + g_0 * a^{\dagger}a (b + b^{\dagger})$$
which is the interaction picture optomechanical Hamiltonian for a cavity with movable end mirror. The mirror vibrations are quantized, leading to phonons that are annihilated / created using ##b, b^{\dagger}##. Photons in one cavity mode are created with ##a^{\dagger}##.

I have plotted the steady-state solution for the average photon number in the cavity, ##n_C##, and the average phonon number in the mirror, ##n_M## as a function of detuning. For this, I used QUTIP and obtained, with the y-axis on log scale (see attachment).This is the typical Lorentzian resonance curve. Now, we clearly see that there are peaks corresponding to ##\Delta = \omega_m$## and ##\Delta = 0##.
I understand the peak at ##\Delta = 0## as then there are lots of photons inside the cavity, so we have a high average photon number and thus a high effective coupling to the mirror, as ##g_0 * n_a## is large.

What I don't understand, however, is why the second peak at ##+\omega_m## is as high as the first peak. Clearly there, we have ##\omega_{in} = \omega_C + \omega_m##, such that the photon - phonon scattering process is resonant. But why has it the same height?

From what I see, if we have (on average) as many phonons in the mirror at ##\Delta = \omega_m## as at ##\Delta = 0##, then the effective coupling strength at both detunings should be equal. But clearly, in the former case there are less photons in the cavity, as they are not resonant with the cavity frequency?

Attachments

• HW2_3_3b_final.png
    HW2_3_3b_final.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 85
Physics news on Phys.org
LionCereals said:
I am considering the following Hamiltonian:
$$H = -\Delta a^{\dagger}a + \omega_m b^{\dagger}b + g_0 * a^{\dagger}a (b + b^{\dagger})$$
which is the interaction picture optomechanical Hamiltonian for a cavity with movable end mirror.
May I know where did you find this Hamiltonian? Would you cite the paper/book?

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a photon-phonon cavity spectrum?

A photon-phonon cavity spectrum is a type of spectroscopy technique that involves studying the interactions between photons (particles of light) and phonons (vibrational energy packets) in a confined space, such as a cavity or crystal lattice. This spectrum can provide valuable information about the energy levels and dynamics of a material.

2. How is a photon-phonon cavity spectrum measured?

A photon-phonon cavity spectrum is typically measured using a laser or other light source to excite the material and a detector to measure the resulting emission or absorption of photons. The spectrum is then generated by plotting the intensity of the emitted or absorbed light as a function of the energy of the photons.

3. What are the applications of photon-phonon cavity spectroscopy?

Photon-phonon cavity spectroscopy has a wide range of applications in materials science, chemistry, and physics. It can be used to study the properties of semiconductors, superconductors, and other materials, as well as to investigate the dynamics of chemical reactions and biological processes.

4. How does the photon-phonon cavity spectrum differ from other spectroscopy techniques?

The photon-phonon cavity spectrum is unique in that it allows for the study of both photons and phonons simultaneously. This allows for a more complete understanding of the energy levels and interactions within a material. Additionally, the confinement of the photons and phonons in a cavity or crystal lattice can lead to unique spectral features not seen in other spectroscopy techniques.

5. What are the limitations of photon-phonon cavity spectroscopy?

One limitation of photon-phonon cavity spectroscopy is that it requires specialized equipment and expertise, making it a more complex and expensive technique compared to other spectroscopy methods. Additionally, the confinement of the photons and phonons in a cavity or crystal lattice may not accurately represent the behavior of these particles in a bulk material, limiting the applicability of the results to real-world scenarios.