Absolute Beginner's Guide to Learning Maths & Physics

In summary, the individual is looking for recommendations for self-teaching materials in math and physics. They express their basic understanding of math and their lack of opportunity for education in these subjects. They mention being put off by "Dummies" books and finding a self-teaching guide with answers next to questions. They ask for book suggestions and mention their background in inner city schooling. Another individual suggests starting with basic math before tackling more advanced materials.
Binky
For someone (like me) who is fascinated by maths and physics, but has had no education to speak of other than rudimentary basic stuff that was taught in my rather poor comprehensive school, finding a decent way to self teach is a bit daunting.
The 'Dummies' books put me off a bit, I bought a book called 'Basic Physics: a self teaching guide' by Karl F. Kuhn which is great but gives all of the answers right next to the question, which is pointless.

Are there any established books that can be recommended? I stress I am at base level and would like to hear your suggestions. I have looked though the forum and it seems I am in a huge minority as most of you are light years ahead of me.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of maths do you know? Do you know any calculus?

Mondayman said:
What kind of maths do you know? Do you know any calculus?
Im afraid I am coming late to this. My education is Comprehensive level (If you live in the UK and understand I was inner city schooled in the late 1970's/80's you will know what I am talking about. I have a basic understanding of maths, nothing more. No calculus, algebra or any other branch. Its not that I don't understand, its I haven't had the opportunity to learn and with the cost of courses so high, self teach is the obvious answer.

Binky said:
Im afraid I am coming late to this. My education is Comprehensive level (If you live in the UK and understand I was inner city schooled in the late 1970's/80's you will know what I am talking about. I have a basic understanding of maths, nothing more. No calculus, algebra or any other branch. Its not that I don't understand, its I haven't had the opportunity to learn and with the cost of courses so high, self teach is the obvious answer.

I would probably start with learning a bit of math before trying to tackle Resnick and Halliday; something like:
1. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1438001509/?tag=pfamazon01-20
2. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0764119982/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Absolute Beginner's Guide to Learning Maths & Physics

What is the purpose of the "Absolute Beginner's Guide to Learning Maths & Physics"?

The purpose of the guide is to provide a comprehensive and easy-to-follow introduction to the fundamental concepts and principles of mathematics and physics for individuals with little to no prior knowledge on the subjects.

What topics are covered in the guide?

The guide covers a wide range of topics including basic arithmetic and algebra, geometry, calculus, mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

Do I need any prior knowledge or experience in maths or physics to use this guide?

No, this guide is designed for absolute beginners with no prior knowledge or experience in maths or physics. It starts with the most basic concepts and gradually builds upon them.

What makes this guide different from other learning resources for maths and physics?

This guide is specifically designed for absolute beginners and uses simple language and real-life examples to explain complex concepts. It also includes interactive exercises and practice problems to help reinforce understanding.

Is this guide suitable for all ages?

While the guide is primarily aimed at adults, it can be used by individuals of all ages who are interested in learning maths and physics from scratch.