What Are the Best Beginner Physics Books for Self-Teaching?

In summary: Trigonometry...Calculus?I would recommend learning algebra, trigonometry, and calculus in that order.
BadgerBadger92
I am looking for a book that teaches the basics of physics that is easy to understand and good for self teaching. Any good suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean other than books on GR and QFT that you have other thread discussions going on about? :wink:

• Wow
Likes Vanadium 50 and Frabjous
berkeman said:
You mean other than books on GR and QFT that you have other thread discussions going on about? :wink:
LOL! Yes, I’m reading “Special Relativity for the Enthusiastic Beginner” right now and it is excellent. It is still a little technical so I’m also reading to boost my math skills. I also was thinking about getting a good beginners book.

You probably mentioned this in your other threads (sorry), but how much calculus have you taken so far, and which calculus class are you taking now in undergrad?

berkeman said:
You probably mentioned this in your other threads (sorry), but how much calculus have you taken so far, and which calculus class are you taking now in undergrad?
I’m teaching myself, I don’t have the money for college. I don’t know much math, so I’m starting with algebra.

BadgerBadger92 said:
I’m teaching myself, I don’t have the money for college. I don’t know much math, so I’m starting with algebra.
Okay, this small paperback book may be a bit basic, but it is fun and has some interesting things in it. I bought a copy for my son while he was in high school, and I flipped through it a few times and enjoyed the short teaching lessons on various subjects. Maybe see if your local library has it or can get it on an inter-library loan.

Amazon lists the price as something like $32 for the paperback edition, but I thought I paid more like $20 when I bought it (which was probably 15 years ago)...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935218068/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1636067298414.png

Likes Hamiltonian
berkeman said:
Okay, this small paperback book may be a bit basic, but it is fun and has some interesting things in it. I bought a copy for my son while he was in high school, and I flipped through it a few times and enjoyed the short teaching lessons on various subjects. Maybe see if your local library has it or can get it on an inter-library loan.

Amazon lists the price as something like $32 for the paperback edition, but I thought I paid more like $20 when I bought it (which was probably 15 years ago)...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0935218068/?tag=pfamazon01-20

View attachment 291790
Is this a kids book or is it appropriate for adults?

Good question. Like I said, I gave it to my son when he was in high school, trying to spark his interest in science. It didn't work at that time (he's now mid-20's in age and a programmer), but when I looked through the book it seemed to have good thought-provoking examples.

It's worth looking through at your local library, but I would not suggest that you buy it now.

berkeman said:
Good question. Like I said, I gave it to my son when he was in high school, trying to spark his interest in science. It didn't work at that time (he's now mid-20's in age and a programmer), but when I looked through the book it seemed to have good thought-provoking examples.

It's worth looking through at your local library, but I would not suggest that you buy it now.
My dad gave me the “Feynman Lectures in Physics” for my birthday about a year ago. Does this book teach you the mathematics?

I don't know but I doubt it. You have the books so you should know.

You need to finish learning algebra, trig and intro calculus before you get too serious about learning physics, IMO.

Likes kattepoot and Hamiltonian
BadgerBadger92 said:
My dad gave me the “Feynman Lectures in Physics” for my birthday about a year ago. Does this book teach you the mathematics?
He discusses calculus and vector calculus and whatnot, but it doesn't replace an actual math textbook.

Generally, we encourage folks to learn mathematics up to and including calculus before studying physics. The only algebra-based resource for physics I can think of is the text we used in high school, Pearson/Nelson Physics 20-30. It was okay and had some fun exercises, but I whole heartedly recommend mastering algebra first.

Another possible resource is Khan Academy for both algebra and intro physics.

Mondayman said:
He discusses calculus and vector calculus and whatnot, but it doesn't replace an actual math textbook.

Generally, we encourage folks to learn mathematics up to and including calculus before studying physics. The only algebra-based resource for physics I can think of is the text we used in high school, Pearson/Nelson Physics 20-30. It was okay and had some fun exercises, but I whole heartedly recommend mastering algebra first.

Another possible resource is Khan Academy for both algebra and intro physics.
Will do. I have an interesting algebra book I’m teaching myself called “Algebra a self teaching guide.”

what order should I learn math in? Algebra first, but what else after that?

I would include Trigonometry. Lots of it, it is essential.

1. What are the best beginner physics books for someone with no prior knowledge in physics?

Some popular options for beginners include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca, "Conceptual Physics" by Paul G. Hewitt, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker.

2. Are there any physics books specifically designed for self-study?

Yes, there are several books designed for self-study, such as "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman, and "The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand beginner physics books?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is helpful, many beginner physics books are written in a way that does not require a strong mathematical background. However, as you progress in your studies, a solid understanding of math will become increasingly important.

4. Can I find beginner physics books for specific fields of study, such as astrophysics or quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many beginner physics books that focus on specific fields, such as "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson and "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman.

5. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials that can enhance my understanding of beginner physics books?

Yes, there are many online resources and supplemental materials available, such as video lectures, practice problems, and interactive simulations. Some popular websites for physics education include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics.