Absolute Max/Min of f(x,y): Find Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the absolute maximum and minimum of a function with two variables on a given region. The process involves finding critical points and considering the boundaries of the region. However, there is confusion and difficulty in solving for the critical points and handling the boundary y=4/x. The speaker is seeking help and is unsure if their approach is correct.
camino

Homework Statement

Find the absolute maximum and absolute minimum of f(x,y)=12xy-x^2 y-2xy^2 on the region bounded by x=1, y=1, and y=4/x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For x=1
f(1,y)= 12y-y-2y^2
= 11y-2y^2
f'(1,y)= -4y+11=0
= -4y=-11
= y=11/4

For y=1
f(x,1)= 12x-x^2-2x
= 10x-x^2
f'(x,1)= -2x+10=0
= -2x=-10
= x=5

For y=4/x
I have no idea.

Am I even doing these right? I am confused. Any work/help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't worked much with functions like this with two variables, but usually when you are trying to find a maximum or minimum, especially in calculus, you use the derivative. You look at the critical points of your functions which are when the derivative equals zero, the derivative is undefined, and the endpoints. Those are the places where maximums and minimums could occur. To find out which ones are the absolute max or min, you have to go back and plug the values in and see.

Did you draw sketch of your region? Do you know what it looks like? So far you are only looking for points on two boundaries of the region. But the points you have found may be outside of the region. Are they? To handle the y=4/x boundary just substitute y=4/x into f. Finally you need to think about possible extrema inside the region. Set the partial derivative of f with respect to x and y equal to zero and solve simultaneously.

f(x,4/x)=12x(4/x)-x^2(4/x)-2x(4/x)^2
that is substituting x/4 into f, and it makes for a messy solving method with I don't think is right. There has to be an easier way to do that part that I'm just not seeing.

fx(x,y)=12y-2xy-2y^2
fy(x,y)=12x-x^2-4xy
That is solving for the interior, and it also is messy.

It seems to me that there should be a simple way to achieve these answers, but I just can not figure it out. This is due tomorrow and I just can't get it..

Related to Absolute Max/Min of f(x,y): Find Solution

1. What is the definition of absolute maximum and minimum of a function?

The absolute maximum of a function is the highest value that the function can take in a given domain. The absolute minimum, on the other hand, is the lowest value that the function can take in a given domain.

2. How do you find the absolute maximum and minimum of a function?

To find the absolute maximum and minimum of a function, you need to take the derivative of the function with respect to each variable and set them equal to 0. Then, solve for the variables to find the critical points. Finally, plug the critical points back into the original function to determine which one gives the highest or lowest value.

3. What is the difference between relative and absolute extrema?

Relative extrema are points on a function where the slope changes from positive to negative or vice versa. Absolute extrema, on the other hand, are the highest and lowest points on a function over a given domain.

4. Can a function have multiple absolute maximum or minimum?

Yes, a function can have multiple absolute maximum or minimum if the function is defined on a closed interval. However, it can have only one absolute maximum or minimum if the function is defined on an open interval.

5. How do you determine if a critical point is a relative or absolute extrema?

To determine if a critical point is a relative or absolute extrema, you need to use the second derivative test. If the second derivative of the function at the critical point is positive, then it is a relative minimum. If the second derivative is negative, then it is a relative maximum. If the second derivative is 0, then further analysis is needed to determine if it is an absolute or relative extrema.