Absolute Value of Magnetization

In summary: OP's equations are essentially the ones that I derived for you and they can be solved. As for the last sentence of the OP, he is also correct, except that he probably should have said that if you assume very large ## \mu ##, then ## M=B/\mu_o ##, so that ## H_m ## is small.In summary, the conversation revolves around a student's attempt to solve a past exam question from the field of electrical engineering. The problem involves calculating the absolute value of magnetization for a ferromagnetic core with a specific length, air gap, winding coil and current. The student provides their attempted solution using equations from the
peroAlex
Hello, I'm a student of electrical engineering. This task appeared in one of the past exams. I've been using the procedure I believe should yield the correct result, however, it turns out I was wrong. Could somebody please check out where the mistake lays in my calculations?

Homework Statement

Ferromagnetic core (task assumes it is linear) has middle length of ##l = 0.2 m## and an air gap of width ##\delta = 0.001 m##. It carries a ##N = 200## winding coil conducting current ##I = 8 A##. Compute absolute value of magnetization.

Homework Equations

I believe that ##\int H \cdot dl = 0## and ##H = \frac{B}{\mu_0} - M## should be adequate.

The Attempt at a Solution

Fakulteta za elektrotehniko.png

So, according to above mentioned equations, ##(1) H_{core}l + H_{gap}\delta = 0##. For ##H_{core}## I used ##(2) H_{core} = \frac{B}{\mu_0} - M##. Plug this into ##(1)## and so expressed magnetization ##M## should be (according to my calculations): $$ (3) M = \frac{\frac{B (l + \delta)}{\mu_0}}{l} $$

I computed B-field as with ##NI = Hl = \frac{B l}{\mu_0}## which yields ##B = 0.0032 \pi T##. Then I plugged this result into ##(3)## and obtained ##M = 8040 \frac{A}{m}## which is incorrect according to faculty provided solutions. Correct result should be ##M = 1.14 MA/m##.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation should read ## \oint H \cdot dl=NI ##. Meanwhile ## H_{gap}=B/\mu_o ## since ## B ## is continuous across the gap. ## H_{core}=B/(\mu \mu_o) ## and ## \mu ## can be assumed to be very large, so that the ## H_{core} ## term is negligible. ## \\ ##( Editing... Upon looking at their answer of ## M=1.14 E+6 ##, I think they are using ## \mu=500 ##, instead of assuming very large ## \mu ## .) ## \\ ## This should allow you to solve for ## B ##, and then since ## B=\mu_o ( H +M ) ##, ## M=B/\mu_o ## (approximately). (Note: Some books use ## B=\mu_oH+M ##. I see you are using ## B=\mu_o(H+M)) ##. ## \\ ## Here is a "link" that I got from @TSny that should be helpful. http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_36.html (see equation (36.26), etc.) (The "link" uses different units=it uses ## B=H+\mu_o M ##). ## \\ ## For an interesting calculation, you can work through the same problem without the air gap, and ## M ## then becomes about 3.5x higher.

Last edited:
I would like to humbly and respectfully defer from Charles' approximation. By the circuituidal law we get,$$NI=\frac{Bl_i}{\mu_0\mu_i}+\frac{B\delta}{\mu_0}$$

Fred Wright said:
I would like to humbly and respectfully defer from Charles' approximation. By the circuituidal law we get,$$NI=\frac{Bl_i}{\mu_0\mu_i}+\frac{B\delta}{\mu_0}$$
I agree. I had already corrected the use of the approximation, because the ## \mu ## here is finite. In the problem as given by the OP, ## \mu ## is unspecified, but by the answer that their faculty supplied, they are apparently using ## \mu=500 ##. ## \\ ## Editing... It would probably be good to be precise also with the computation for ## M ##. Since ## B=\mu_o (H+M) ##, ## B=\mu_o (B/(\mu \mu_o))+\mu_o M ##, so that ## M=\frac{B}{\mu_o} (1-\frac{1}{\mu}) ##. ## \\ ## And one more minor correction to the above: I see in the literature they customarily write ## B=\mu H ## with ## \mu=\mu_o \mu_r ##. In this case ## \mu_r=500 ## and the ## \mu ## that I used is usually written as ## \mu_r ##..

Last edited:
Unlike an OP's similar problem this one is not pathological (no shorted secondary which cannot occur without introducing leakage fluxes and winding resistances) in that it can be reasonably analyzed, and post 2 does this essentially fine although introducing M is unnecessary: just go Hl = Ni. But stop before the "EDIT".

In fact, the last sentence, "For an interesting calculation, you can work through the same problem without the air gap, and M" style="font-size: 114%; position: relative;" tabindex="0" class="mjx-chtml MathJax_CHTML" id="MathJax-Element-37-Frame">M then becomes about 3.5x higher." is way off base. In fact, since B = μNi/l, and assuming μ >> μ0, M → μ/μ0, typically 500 or more for a ferromagnetic core at low frequencies (μ deteriorates with increasing frequency).

rude man said:
Unlike an OP's similar problem this one is not pathological (no shorted secondary which cannot occur without introducing leakage fluxes and winding resistances) in that it can be reasonably analyzed, and post 2 does this essentially fine although introducing M is unnecessary: just go Hl = Ni. But stop before the "EDIT".

In fact, the last sentence, "For an interesting calculation, you can work through the same problem without the air gap, and M" style="font-size: 114%; position: relative;" tabindex="0" class="mjx-chtml MathJax_CHTML" id="MathJax-Element-37-Frame">M then becomes about 3.5x higher." is way off base. In fact, since B = μNi/l, and assuming μ >> μ0, M → μ/μ0, typically 500 or more for a ferromagnetic core at low frequencies (μ deteriorates with increasing frequency).
In the factor of 3.5 x, I think I got the arithmetic correct, and I am completely in agreement with the input of @Fred Wright (post #3) who also appears to have complete command of the concepts which are also given in the "link" of the Feynman lectures in post #2. ## \\ ## Editing: If you assume very large ## \mu ## then you get ## H_{gap} \delta =NI ## and ## B=\mu_o H_{gap} ## everywhere. Since ## B=\mu_o H_m+\mu_o M ##, and ## H_m ## can be assumed small, this result gives ## M=B/\mu_o ##. Upon comparing this result with the answer that the OP's faculty furnished for the magnetization ## M ##, it was observed the term ## B l/(\mu_r \mu_o) ## must also make a contribution and that ## \mu_r =500 ## gives the answer that was furnished, instead of an assumption that ## \mu_r \geq 10,000 ## or thereabouts. Meanwhile, without the gap, this ## B l/(\mu_r \mu_o) ## term is the only contribution to ## \oint H \cdot ds ##.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
In the factor of 3.5 x, I think I got the arithmetic correct, and I am completely in agreement with the input of @Fred Wright (post #3) who also appears to have complete command of the concepts which are also given in the "link" of the Feynman lectures in post #2. ## \\ ## Editing: If you assume very large ## \mu ## then you get ## H_{gap} \delta =NI ## and ## B=\mu_o H_{gap} ## everywhere. Since ## B=\mu_o H_m+\mu_o M ##, and ## H_m ## can be assumed small, this result gives ## M=B/\mu_o ##. Upon comparing this result with the answer that the OP's faculty furnished for the magnetization ## M ##, it was observed the term ## B l/(\mu_r \mu_o) ## must also make a contribution and that ## \mu_r =500 ## gives the answer that was furnished, instead of an assumption that ## \mu_r \geq 10,000 ## or thereabouts. Meanwhile, without the gap, this ## B l/(\mu_r \mu_o) ## term is the only contribution to ## \oint H \cdot ds ##.
My math agrees with yours if μ = 500μr. (But this number was reverse-engineered from an incorrect answer to the OP's stated problem. The OP's problem as stated must assume μr → ∞ if it is to be solved at all. I didn't realize you carried your assumption of μ = 500μr thru to the end of your first post.

Likes Charles Link
@peroAlex You should recognize from the integral ## \oint H \cdot ds=NI ## how the concept of mmf (magnetomotive force) and magnetic reluctance comes about. Upon having worked this calculation, the other transformer problem you posted with the branch down the middle (which includes an air gap) is more readily understood=it's like circuit theory with resistors in parallel. The other problem needs to specify the load resistance in the secondary coil and they should also tell you what value to use for the relative permeability ## \mu_r ##.

Likes peroAlex

What is the definition of absolute value of magnetization?

Absolute value of magnetization is a measure of the total magnetic moment per unit volume of a material. It is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the magnetization of a material.

How is absolute value of magnetization calculated?

The absolute value of magnetization is calculated by dividing the total magnetic moment of a material by its volume. It is typically expressed in units of Amperes per meter (A/m) or Tesla (T).

What factors affect the absolute value of magnetization?

The absolute value of magnetization is affected by the type of material, its temperature, and the presence of external magnetic fields. Some materials have naturally higher magnetization values due to their atomic structure, while temperature and external fields can either increase or decrease the magnetization.

Why is the absolute value of magnetization important?

The absolute value of magnetization is important in understanding the magnetic properties of materials. It is one of the key parameters used in the design of magnets and magnetic devices, and is also used in various scientific and industrial applications such as data storage, medical imaging, and energy generation.

Can the absolute value of magnetization be changed?

Yes, the absolute value of magnetization can be changed through various processes such as applying external magnetic fields, heating or cooling the material, or altering its atomic structure. These changes can be reversible or irreversible, depending on the material and the conditions applied.