Abstract Algebra - Centralizers

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the centralizer C_G(\sigma) of a given group G = S_7, where S_7 is the group of permutations of a cyclic group of 7 objects. The centralizer is defined as any element C of the given group such that C\sigma = \sigma C over the given operation. The conversation also delves into proving the correctness of the answer, which is determined to be C_G(\sigma) = k\sigma (mod 7) where k is any integer not divisible by 7. The conversation also mentions a more elegant approach to solving the problem, where an arbitrary permutation is plugged into the equation of commutativity and then solved.
vsage
I was given this problem to work out but I'm still a little bad when it comes to proofs, but here's the question. I have given it a little thought but I can't seem to prove what I feel is the correct answer without brute forcing the answer in such an ugly way.

Let G = [tex]S_7[/tex], where [tex]S_7[/tex] is the group of permutations of the cyclic group (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) (for example (7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1)). Determine the centralizer [tex]C_G(\sigma)[/tex] where [tex]\sigma[/tex] is the cycle (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7), where the centralizer by definition is any element C of the given group such that [tex]C\sigma = \sigma C[/tex] over the given operation. Also, prove that your answer is correct.

Part 1 wasn't too bad: [tex]C_G(\sigma) = k\sigma (mod 7)[/tex], or (k, 2k, 3k, 4k, 5k, 6k, 7k)(mod 7) where k is any integer not divisible by 7, and 0 is taken to be equivalent to 7. Obviously any integer k = 7p + r would produce the same results as k = r for integer p, so I only have to deal with k = 1-6. I hope that made sense: I'm not sure my first way of writing what the centralizer is was correct. However, I'm having trouble producing a proof that I think is acceptable. I think I could easily show that each k satisfies commutativity but it seems so brute-forced. Is there a more elegant solution I can employ? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nitpick: S7 is the group of permutations on any 7 distinct objects.

It's clear that each k produces an element of the centralizer... that cycle is simply the k-th power of the given cycle!

Frankly, I think the most straightforward approach is to write down an arbitrary permutation:

1->a
2->b
7->g

plug into the equation of commutativity, and then solve.

(Though, I haven't tried it)...

Helpful as always, thanks! Yeah I meant your definition of [tex]S_7[/tex], I was trying to paraphrase the question from my notes and it always comes out half-conceived. I think I completely solved it now though with your suggestions.

Related to Abstract Algebra - Centralizers

What is a centralizer in abstract algebra?

A centralizer in abstract algebra is a subgroup of a group that consists of elements that commute with every element in the original group. In other words, it is the set of elements that "centralize" the group by preserving its structure under multiplication.

How is a centralizer different from a normalizer?

A centralizer and a normalizer are both subgroups of a group, but they have different definitions and properties. A centralizer consists of elements that commute with every element in the group, while a normalizer consists of elements that preserve the subgroup structure of the group. In other words, a centralizer is a subset of a group, while a normalizer is a subset of the entire group.

What is the relationship between a centralizer and a center?

The center of a group is the set of elements that commute with every element in the group. This is similar to a centralizer, but the center is always a normal subgroup, while a centralizer may or may not be a normal subgroup. Additionally, the center is always contained within the centralizer.

What is the importance of centralizers in group theory?

Centralizers play an important role in understanding the structure and properties of groups. They allow us to identify elements that have special properties, such as commutativity, and to classify subgroups of a group. Centralizers also have applications in other areas of mathematics, such as in the study of group actions and representations.

How do you find the centralizer of an element in a group?

To find the centralizer of an element in a group, first determine the set of elements that commute with the given element. This set will form a subgroup, which is the centralizer of that element. In some cases, the centralizer may be the entire group, while in others it may be a smaller subgroup. The centralizer of an element can also be found by using the definition and properties of centralizers.