Abstract algebra: i need examples of ...

In summary, the examples of vector spaces over the same field are: the space of all vectors of the form <a, b> over the real numbers, the space of all vectors of the form <a, b, c> over the real numbers, and the space of all polynomials of degree 3 or less over the real numbers.
nweissma
please offer me examples of: a) 3 vector spaces over the same field; and b) the same vector space over 3 fields.

Physics news on Phys.org
The space of all vectors of tne form <a, b>, where a and b are real number, over the real numbers.
The space or all vectors of the form <a, b, c> over the real numbers.
The space of all polynomials of degree 3 or less over the real numbers.

Since the underlying field is part of the definition of a vector space, I'm not sure I would agree that you can have the same vector space over different fields.

However, if I were required to answer such a question (!), I would say the vector space of all complex numbers over the field of
the rational numbers
the real numbers
the complex numbers.

What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It deals with mathematical structures that are abstract in nature, rather than being specific to numbers or geometry.

What are some examples of abstract algebra?

Some examples of abstract algebra include group theory, ring theory, field theory, and linear algebra. Group theory studies the properties of groups, which are sets of elements that follow a specific set of rules. Ring theory deals with the properties of rings, which are sets of elements that have two operations, usually addition and multiplication. Field theory studies the properties of fields, which are sets of elements that have two operations and follow specific rules. Linear algebra deals with vector spaces and linear transformations.

Why is abstract algebra important?

Abstract algebra is important because it provides a framework for understanding and solving complex mathematical problems. It also has many applications in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory, geometry, and cryptography. Additionally, abstract algebra has practical applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering.

What are some real-life applications of abstract algebra?

Some real-life applications of abstract algebra include cryptography, coding theory, and error-correcting codes. Cryptography uses abstract algebra to develop secure methods of communication and data encryption. Coding theory uses abstract algebra to design error-correcting codes for reliable data transmission. Abstract algebra also has applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics and relativity.

What are some resources for learning abstract algebra?

There are many resources available for learning abstract algebra, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some recommended textbooks include "Abstract Algebra" by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote, and "A Book of Abstract Algebra" by Charles C. Pinter. Online courses and video lectures can be found on platforms such as Coursera, Khan Academy, and YouTube.