Abstract Algebra - ideals and generators

In summary, an ideal in abstract algebra is a subset of a ring that is closed under addition and multiplication by elements of the ring. It can be thought of as a generalization of a normal subgroup in group theory. A principal ideal is generated by a single element, while a non-principal ideal is generated by multiple elements. A generator in abstract algebra is an element or subset that can create all other elements in the structure. A ring can have multiple ideals, with the zero ideal and the ring itself being examples. Ideals and subrings are closely related, but not every subring is an ideal.
TheColorCute

Homework Statement

a.) Let a=3-8i and b=2+3i. Find x,y ϵ Z[i] such that ax+by=1.
b.) Show explicitly that the ideal I=(85,1+13i) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] Z[i] is principle by exhibiting a generator.

Homework Equations

Given ideal: I=(85,1+13i) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] Z[i]
a=3-8i
b=2+3i

Honestly, I am beyond lost on this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should apply the division algorithm in a suitable way.

Related to Abstract Algebra - ideals and generators

What is an ideal in abstract algebra?

An ideal in abstract algebra is a subset of a ring that satisfies certain properties. Specifically, it is a subset that is closed under addition and multiplication by elements of the ring. Ideals can also be thought of as generalizations of the concept of a normal subgroup in group theory.

What is the difference between a principal ideal and a non-principal ideal?

A principal ideal is generated by a single element of the ring, while a non-principal ideal is generated by two or more elements. This means that a principal ideal has only one generator, while a non-principal ideal has multiple generators.

What is a generator in abstract algebra?

In abstract algebra, a generator is an element or subset of a mathematical structure that, when combined with other elements or operations, can create all other elements in that structure. For example, in a group, a single element can generate the entire group through repeated operations.

Can a ring have more than one ideal?

Yes, a ring can have multiple ideals. In fact, every ring has at least two ideals: the zero ideal, which contains only the additive identity element, and the ring itself. However, some rings may have infinitely many ideals.

How are ideals related to subrings?

Ideals and subrings are closely related concepts in abstract algebra. An ideal is essentially a subring that is closed under multiplication by elements of the ring. In other words, every ideal is a subring, but not every subring is an ideal.