Principle Ideals of a Polynomial Quotient Ring

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ideals of a given algebra A, where A is the quotient of the ring of polynomials modulo 5 by the principal ideal generated by x^2+4. It also involves finding the subgroups of the prime decomposition of the group of invertible elements in A. The conversation also raises questions about the relation between invertible elements in polynomial rings and the concept of being "coprime."
DeldotB

Homework Statement

Let A be the algebra [itex]\mathbb{Z}_5[x]/I[/itex] where [itex]I[/itex] is the principle ideal generated by [itex]x^2+4[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{Z}_5[x][/itex] is the ring of polynomials modulo 5.

Find all the ideals of A
Let G be the group of invertible elements in A. Find the subgroups of the prime decomposition.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have no idea where to start. Why is [itex]x^2+4[/itex] an ideal? How do I find other ideals?

I have been asked about invertible elements in rings like [itex]\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}[/itex] (just the elements co-prime to n) but how does this concepts relate to polynomials? Are invertible elements in polynomial rings also "coprime" in some sense??

Thankyou

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DeldotB said:
I have no idea where to start. Why is [itex]x^2+4[/itex] an ideal? How do I find other ideals?
It's not, and the problem didn't say it was. It is the generator of a (principal) ideal.

You won't be able to even get started on this if you don't know what an ideal is and what a principal ideal is. Your text and/or notes will have given you definitions.

What are they?

What are principle ideals?

Principle ideals are the set of all multiples of a given element in a ring. In other words, they are the set of all elements that can be obtained by multiplying the given element by any other element in the ring.

What is a polynomial quotient ring?

A polynomial quotient ring is a mathematical structure that consists of polynomials and their corresponding remainders after division by a given polynomial. It is denoted as R[x]/(f), where R is a ring and f is a polynomial in R[x].

How do you find the principle ideals of a polynomial quotient ring?

To find the principle ideals of a polynomial quotient ring, we first need to determine the ideal generated by the polynomial f. This is done by multiplying f with all the elements in the ring and taking the linear combinations of the resulting products. The resulting set of polynomials is the principle ideal.

What are the applications of principle ideals in polynomial quotient rings?

Principle ideals in polynomial quotient rings have many applications in algebraic geometry, number theory, and coding theory. They can be used to study the structure of polynomial rings and to find solutions to polynomial equations. Additionally, they are also used in error-correcting codes to detect and correct errors in data transmission.

How do principle ideals help in factorization of polynomials?

Principle ideals play a crucial role in the factorization of polynomials. They help in determining whether a polynomial can be factored into simpler polynomials or not. If the principle ideal generated by a polynomial is prime, then the polynomial is irreducible and cannot be factored further. On the other hand, if the principle ideal is not prime, then the polynomial can be factored into simpler polynomials.