[Abstract Algebra] Permutations and shuffling cards

In summary, the problem involves a card-shuffling machine that arranges cards in the same way every time they are shuffled. Given a specific order of cards after two shuffles, the task is to determine the order of cards after the first shuffle. Using the concept of cycles and the formula for finding the order of an element in a symmetric group, it was determined that the order of the cards after the first shuffle was 9, A, 4, Q, J, 7, 3, 2, 10, 5, K, 8, 6.
Klungo
It's been a while since I've posted. This is a problem I had for a homework assignment a few weeks ago but I completely figure out. Any help appreciated.

Homework Statement

"A card-shuffling machine always rearranges cards in the same way relative to the order
in which they were given to it. All of the hearts arranged in order
from ace to king were put into the machine, and then the shuffled
cards were put into the machine again to be shuffled. If the cards
emerged in the order 10, 9, Q, 8, K, 3, 4, A, 5, J, 6, 2, 7, in what
order were the cards after the first shuffle?"

Homework Equations

\

The Attempt at a Solution

We have a permutation
[itex]\alpha^2 = \left[ \begin{array}{cc}
A & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 & 7 & 8 & 9 & 10 & J & Q & K \\
10 & 9 & Q & 8 & K & 3 & 4 & A & 5 & J & 6 & 2 & 7 \end{array} \right] [/itex] which can be written as a single 13-cycle [itex]\alpha^2 = (A,10,J,6,3,Q,2,9,5,K,7,4,8)[/itex].

The goal is to find out how where each card is mapped to under [itex]\alpha[/itex].

And I'm not sure how to go about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about raising α2 to various powers.

haruspex said:
Think about raising α2 to various powers.

From what I recalled on my first attempt.

We know that [itex](\alpha^2)^{13} = \alpha^{26} = e[/itex] since [itex]\alpha^2[/itex] is a 13-single cycle. So, [itex]|\alpha^{2}| \mbox{ divides } 13[/itex].

That is, [itex]|\alpha^2| = 1 \mbox{ or } 13[/itex]. Clearly, [itex]|\alpha^2| \neq 1[/itex] since [itex]\alpha^2 \neq e[/itex]. Thus, [itex]|\alpha^2| = 13[/itex].

Now that I thought about it.

Using the formula [itex]|g| = |g^k|gcd(k,|g|)[/itex], we see that [itex]|\alpha| = |\alpha^{2}| gcd(2,|\alpha|) = 13 gcd(2,|\alpha|) = 26 \mbox{ or } 13[/itex].

Since we're "working" with the symmetric group [itex]S_{13}[/itex] and [itex]26 = 2 \times 13[/itex], we know that no element (by product of cycles) in [itex]S_{13}[/itex] has order 26. So, [itex]|\alpha|=13[/itex].

Hence, [itex]\alpha = \alpha^{13} \alpha = \alpha^{14} = (\alpha^{2})^{7}[/itex]. Therefore, starting with A, we find [itex]\alpha = (A,9,10,5,J,K,6,7,3,4,Q,8,2)[/itex].

Quite so - well done.

So does this imply that the order of the cards after the first shuffle were 9 A 4 Q J 7 3 2 10 5 K 8 6?

bsoblick said:
So does this imply that the order of the cards after the first shuffle were 9 A 4 Q J 7 3 2 10 5 K 8 6?
Yes.

Related to [Abstract Algebra] Permutations and shuffling cards

1. What is a permutation in abstract algebra?

A permutation is a reordering of a set of elements. In abstract algebra, it is represented as a function that maps elements to themselves or to other elements within the set. This concept is often used in studying groups and symmetry.

2. How are permutations used in shuffling cards?

In shuffling cards, permutations are used to represent the different possible outcomes of shuffling a deck of cards. Each permutation represents a unique order of the cards in the deck.

3. What is the difference between a permutation and a combination?

A permutation is a reordering of elements, while a combination is a selection of elements without considering their order. In the context of shuffling cards, a permutation would represent the specific order of the cards in the deck, while a combination would represent the specific cards chosen from the deck without considering their order.

4. How do you determine the number of possible permutations when shuffling a deck of cards?

The number of possible permutations when shuffling a deck of cards is calculated using the factorial function, which is the product of all positive integers less than or equal to the number. In this case, the number of cards in the deck would be used as the input for the factorial function.

5. Can any permutation be achieved by shuffling a deck of cards?

Yes, it is theoretically possible for any permutation to be achieved by shuffling a deck of cards. However, the likelihood of a specific permutation occurring may be extremely low due to the large number of possible permutations.