Abstract Algebra Problem (Group Isomorphisms)

In summary, you can change an even element of Sn-2 into an even element of An by multiplying it by the transposition made up of the elements n and n-1. This procedure is an injective homomorphism, meaning that it's an isomorphism between Sn-2 and its image in An.
BSMSMSTMSPHD
Hi. My latest question concerns the following. I must prove that the alternating group [tex] A_n [/tex] contains a subgroup that is isomorphic to the symmetric group [tex] S_{n-2} [/tex] for n = 3, 4, ...

So far, here's what I have (not much). The cases for n = 3 and n = 4 are elementary, since the group lattices are very easy to visualize. But, once n = 5, this becomes quickly unwieldy ( [tex] A_5 [/tex] has 60 elements.)

I also know, by Lagrange, that this subgroup must divide the order of [tex] A_n [/tex]. Since the order of [tex] S_{n-2} [/tex] is [tex] (n-2)! [/tex] and the order of [tex] A_n [/tex] is [tex] \frac{n!}{2} [/tex] I took the ratio of these and got [tex] \frac{n(n-1)}{2} [/tex] which is always a natural number for n = 2, 3, ... But that just shows that the isomorphism is always possible in terms of the orders of the groups involved. It doesn't guarantee that such a subgroup exists.

The other thing I know is that [tex] A_n [/tex] is a non-abelian simple group for n > 4. This means that it contains no proper normal subgroups. What this could possibly do for me, I'm not sure. But is seems to eliminate the isomorphism theorems from my arsenal, since they require subgroups to be normal.

Any suggestions for an approach here? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you change the elements of Sn-2 into elements of Sn such that they're all even? Answer the question in two parts: a) how would you "change" an even element of Sn-2 into an even element of Sn, and b) how would you change an odd element of Sn-2 into an even element of Sn? Start with a reasonable guess, and try to prove that this procedure for changing elements of one group into elements of another is an injective homomorphism. If it doesn't work out, tweak your guess a little until you find one.

Take a set of n elements. Sn-2 can act on n-2 of these as you'd expect. For the other two, if you can think of something to do with them that ensures that for each element in Sn-2, the total associated permutation of all n elements is even, then you'll be able to associate each element of Sn-2 with an element of An. Can you do this in such a way that the result is an injective homomorphism, and so an isomorphism between Sn-2 and its image in An?

Thanks to both of you, I think I've got it.

I send the even elements to themselves and I multiply the odd elements by the transposition made up of the elements n and n-1. This guarantees that each permutation in the image is even. I checked and confirmed that this is an injective homomorphism.

Thanks!

Related to Abstract Algebra Problem (Group Isomorphisms)

What is an isomorphism in abstract algebra?

In abstract algebra, an isomorphism is a structure-preserving mapping between two algebraic objects, such as groups, rings, or fields. It is a bijective function that preserves the algebraic operations between the two objects, meaning that the result of applying the operations on the original object is the same as the result of applying the operations on the mapped object.

What is a group isomorphism?

A group isomorphism is a special case of an isomorphism in which the two algebraic objects are groups. It is a bijective function that preserves the group structure, meaning that the group operation, identity element, and inverse elements are also preserved.

How do you determine if two groups are isomorphic?

To determine if two groups are isomorphic, you need to find a bijective function that maps one group onto the other while preserving the group structure. This means that the group operation, identity element, and inverse elements must remain the same after the mapping. If such a function exists, then the groups are isomorphic.

What is the importance of group isomorphisms in abstract algebra?

Group isomorphisms are important in abstract algebra because they allow us to study the properties of one group by studying the properties of another group that is isomorphic to it. This can make complex group structures easier to understand and can also help us prove theorems about groups.

Can two groups be isomorphic even if they have different elements?

Yes, two groups can be isomorphic even if they have different elements. Isomorphism is based on the structure and not the elements themselves. As long as the two groups have the same group operation and follow the same group axioms, they can be isomorphic.