Subgroup of Index ##n## for every ##n \in \Bbb{N}##.

In summary, a nonzero free abelian group has a subgroup of index ##n## for every positive integer ##n##, as shown by defining the subgroup ##H## using direct sums and isomorphisms. Normality may not be necessary in this proof.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

A nonzero free abelian group has a subgroup of index ##n## for every positive integer ##n##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If ##F## is a nonzero free abelian group, then ##F## is isomorphic to the direct sum ##G= \sum_{i \in I} \Bbb{Z}##, where ##I \neq \emptyset##. Since ##I## is not empty, it contains at least one element ##k##. Now define ##H_k = n \Bbb{Z}##, and define ##H_i = \Bbb{Z}## for all ##i \neq k##. Then clearly ##H := \sum_{i \in I} \Bbb{Z}## is a subgroup of ##G##. Since ##G## is abelian, ##H## is trivially normal and therefore ##G/H \simeq \sum_{i \in I} \Bbb{Z}/H_i \simeq \Bbb{Z}_n##, which has order cardinality ##n##. Hence, ##H## is a subgroup of index ##n##, and since ##G## is isomorphic to ##F##, it too must have a subgroup of index ##n##.

How does this sound?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds good. I don't know why you mentioned normality, but I can't see any wrongs.

What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that satisfies the same group axioms as the original group. In other words, it is a smaller group within a larger group.

What is the index of a subgroup?

The index of a subgroup is the number of cosets (distinct left or right cosets) of the subgroup in the original group. It is denoted by [G:H], where G is the original group and H is the subgroup.

How do you find the subgroup of a given index?

There is no one method for finding a subgroup of a given index. However, one common method is to use the subgroup lattice, which is a visual representation of all possible subgroups of a group. Another method is to use the index formula, which states that the index of a subgroup is equal to the order of the original group divided by the order of the subgroup.

Why is the subgroup of index 1 always the trivial subgroup?

The subgroup of index 1 is always the trivial subgroup (containing only the identity element) because it is the only subgroup that satisfies the definition of a subgroup while having the same order as the original group.

Are there any special properties of a subgroup of index 2?

Yes, there are several properties that a subgroup of index 2 may have. For example, if the original group is abelian, then the subgroup of index 2 must also be abelian. Additionally, if the original group is cyclic, then the subgroup of index 2 must also be cyclic.