Abstract Algebra Proof: gcd(s,t)=r and st=r+v

In summary: V(integer)+T(integer)=Rimplies gcd(v,t)=rand it is possible to do this with out the gcd theoremso for every integer uu.r + v = ru.r + a.r = r(u+a).r = r(u+a).r = (1+r) (u+a) = 1u=1-a t=u.rt=r(1-a) so gcd(t,r)=rhence gcd(v,t)=rIn summary, we can conclude that if st=r+v and gcd(s,t)=r, then gcd(v,t)=r. This is because if we can
mcspammle

Homework Statement

Let r,s,t and v be integers with r>0. If st=r+v and gcd(s,t)=r, then gcd(v,t)=r

Homework Equations

Just stumped. I am not sure what to do next.

The Attempt at a Solution

There are 2 integers d and e such that S=dR and T=eR, and 2 integers a and b such that Sa+Tb=R. I know I have to end with something like V(integer)+T(integer)=R to show the gcd(v,t)=r.

Physics news on Phys.org
how about this as a start:
s=dr
t=er
worth noting that e and d here have no common factors
st = derr = r+v

so clearly v=a.r for some a
st = derr = r(1+a)

which becomes
der = (1+a)

lanedance said:
s=dr
t=er
st = derr = r+v

st = derr = r(1+a)

which becomes
der = (1+a)

I see how you did that but we usually can only do those "clearly" moments when we have a theorem or lemma to reference to, yet there is none for that. I still can't work from der=(1+a) anyway... I don't see how the "a" is going to help in anyway.

I feel like I need to just get V*(any variable)=(any variables) so that I can use V into my formulas.

Last edited:
can you explain what what step you don't understand? (and why - there could always be a mistake - never assume everything is correct unless you can justify it)

derr is divisible by r, so r+v is divisible by r (tempted not to say derr ;)

I'm guessing (haven't worked it) but from the following
der=(1+a)

You should be able to make a conclusion about common factors between a and d,e,r.

Maybe try assuming a and d have a common factor and see if you can generate a contradiction

I understand what you did. V is some random integer times A. I just didn't see how that could play out to my advantage later. This is only my second homework and we only learned the division theorem (AKA. f divides c so, f=cx) and the GCD theorem which I did below. I am sure you are heading down the right path but I am not advanced enough to do it. I don't want to do things we haven't learned. All his proofs were much simpler than this, I must be just missing something. Thank you though :/

If r+v=r(1+a) couldn't I do r+v=v(1+c) saying r=vc instead. With that r=v+vc-v. Sa+Tb=r... (dr)a+Tb=r... dv(c)a+Tb=r... So V(other int)+T(other int)=r so gcd(v,t)=r. Was that possible?

mcspammle said:
I understand what you did. V is some random integer times A. I just didn't see how that could play out to my advantage later. This is only my second homework and we only learned the division theorem (AKA. f divides c so, f=cx) and the GCD theorem which I did below. I am sure you are heading down the right path but I am not advanced enough to do it. I don't want to do things we haven't learned. All his proofs were much simpler than this, I must be just missing something. Thank you though :/

V isn't some random integer times A

v=r.a
v is r multiplied an unknown integer, a, which you can relate to the factors d.e.r.

mcspammle said:
If r+v=r(1+a) couldn't I do r+v=v(1+c) saying r=vc instead.
no the fact that "v" has "r" as a factor means |v|>r as they are both integers

lanedance said:
s=dr
t=er
st = derr = r+v
the point i was trying to make here is:

d.e.r.r is divisible by d,e,r by definition

d.e.r.r = r+v, shows (r+v) must also be divisible by those terms

Clearly r is divisible by r.

For (r+v) to be divisible by r, then v must be divisible by r

Hence
v=a.r for some integer a

lanedance said:
st = derr = r(1+a)

which becomes
der = (1+a)

going back to your first post to see if i can clear any initial misconceptions

mcspammle said:

Homework Statement

Let r,s,t and v be integers with r>0. If st=r+v and gcd(s,t)=r, then gcd(v,t)=r

Homework Equations

Just stumped. I am not sure what to do next.

The Attempt at a Solution

There are 2 integers d and e such that S=dR and T=eR,
This is a good place to start, as you know S & T both have factor of r
mcspammle said:
and 2 integers a and b such that Sa+Tb=R.
not sure where you get this statement? in fact I would say it is in contradiction with you last

mcspammle said:
I know I have to end with something like V(integer)+T(integer)=R to show the gcd(v,t)=r.

Related to Abstract Algebra Proof: gcd(s,t)=r and st=r+v

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies mathematical structures such as groups, rings, fields, and vector spaces. It is concerned with the properties and relationships between these structures and the operations that can be performed on them.

2. What is an abstract algebra proof?

An abstract algebra proof is a logical argument that uses the properties and axioms of abstract algebra to show that a given statement or equation is true. It involves using mathematical concepts and techniques to demonstrate the validity of a claim.

3. How is abstract algebra used in real life?

Abstract algebra has many practical applications, including cryptography, coding theory, and computer graphics. It is also used in physics, chemistry, and engineering to model and solve complex problems.

4. What are the key concepts in abstract algebra?

The key concepts in abstract algebra include groups, rings, fields, and vector spaces. These structures have specific properties and operations that allow mathematicians to study and manipulate them in order to prove theorems and solve problems.

5. What are some tips for writing a successful abstract algebra proof?

Some tips for writing a successful abstract algebra proof include clearly stating the problem or claim, defining any relevant terms and notation, using precise and logical reasoning, and providing sufficient justification for each step. It is also important to carefully check the proof for errors and to use examples or counterexamples to support your arguments.