Proving that lcm(a,b)gcd(a,b)=ab

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
In summary: Maybe it helps, to assume that ##a## and ##b## are coprime. Then we can show ##a\mathbb{Z}+b\mathbb{Z} = \mathbb{Z}##. Then I tried to make use of the fact that we know that ##a\mathbb{Z}\; , \;b\mathbb{Z}\; , \;(a+b)\mathbb{Z}## and ##(ab)\mathbb{Z}## are all normal subgroups of ##\mathbb{Z}##.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let ##a\neq 0, b\neq 0## be integers and let ##(a),(b)## be the ideals they generate in ##\mathbb{Z}##. Show that ##\operatorname{gcd}(a,b)\operatorname{lcm}(a,b) =ab##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose that I already know from the second isomorphism theorem that
$$\frac{(a)}{(\gcd(a,b))} \cong \frac{(\rm{lcm}(a,b))}{(b)}.$$ How can I get from this the result ##\operatorname{gcd}(a,b)\operatorname{lcm}(a,b) =ab##?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no need to use isomorphism theorems. Basic set theory will suffice.

Let the prime factors of ##ab## be ##p_1,...,p_n## and let ##a=\prod_{k=1}^n p_k{}^{r_k}## and ##b=\prod_{k=1}^n p_k{}^{s_k}##.

Now write each of gcd(##a,b##), lcm(##a,b##) and ##ab## in that prime-factorised product form (you'll need to use min and max functions). It should be easy to prove the required identity from there, given that ##p^{\min(\alpha,\beta)}p^{\max(\alpha,\beta)} = p^{\alpha+\beta}##.

Likes Delta2
andrewkirk said:
There's no need to use isomorphism theorems.
... but I sounds as an elegant idea.
Mr Davis 97 said:
Suppose that I already know from the second isomorphism theorem ...
Consideration of ##\mathbb{Z}_a\; , \;\mathbb{Z}_b\; , \;\mathbb{Z}_a + \mathbb{Z}_b\; , \;\mathbb{Z}_a \cap \mathbb{Z}_b## should do.

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
... but I sounds as an elegant idea.

Consideration of ##\mathbb{Z}_a\; , \;\mathbb{Z}_b\; , \;\mathbb{Z}_a + \mathbb{Z}_b\; , \;\mathbb{Z}_a \cap \mathbb{Z}_b## should do.
How can I consider these rings such as ##\mathbb{Z}_a## and ##\mathbb{Z}_b## if they are not principal ideals of ##\mathbb{Z}##, which they must be by hypothesis?

Mr Davis 97 said:
How can I consider these rings such as ##\mathbb{Z}_a## and ##\mathbb{Z }_b## if they are not principal ideals of ##\mathbb{Z}##, which they must be by hypothesis?
Sorry, my fault. I meant ##a\mathbb{Z}\; , \;b\mathbb{Z}\; , \;(a+b)\mathbb{Z}## or ##(ab)\mathbb{Z}## and ##a\mathbb{Z} \cap b\mathbb{Z}## of course, the ideals, not the quotients.

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
Sorry, my fault. I meant ##a\mathbb{Z}\; , \;b\mathbb{Z}\; , \;(a+b)\mathbb{Z}## or ##(ab)\mathbb{Z}## and ##a\mathbb{Z} \cap b\mathbb{Z}## of course, the ideals, not the quotients.
I'm not seeing how consideration of these implies the result though

Mr Davis 97 said:
I'm not seeing how consideration of these implies the result though
Yes, you completely confused me, as we need the quotients for the finite number of elements to represent the formula.
... guess, I should do it first on my own ...

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
Yes, you completely confused me, as we need the quotients for the finite number of elements to represent the formula.
... guess, I should do it first on my own ...
I think maybe we just look at subgroup indices

I must admit, that I haven't found a nice way, although I still think there is one. But my attempts all ended up in diagram chasing. To use isomorphism theorems, one probably needs to show that ##(a\mathbb{Z}\cap b\mathbb{Z})/ ab\mathbb{Z} \cong \mathbb{Z}/(a\mathbb{Z}+b\mathbb{Z})##. Maybe you have an idea how to show that fast. I even tried to use the four, five and nine lemmas.

1. What is the definition of lcm(a,b) and gcd(a,b)?

The least common multiple (lcm) of two integers a and b is the smallest positive integer that is divisible by both a and b. The greatest common divisor (gcd) of two integers a and b is the largest positive integer that divides both a and b.

2. Why is it important to prove that lcm(a,b)gcd(a,b)=ab?

This equality is important because it demonstrates the relationship between the least common multiple and greatest common divisor of two integers. It also has important applications in solving problems related to fractions, simplifying algebraic expressions, and finding the solutions to linear Diophantine equations.

3. How can the equality lcm(a,b)gcd(a,b)=ab be proven?

The equality can be proven using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, which states that every positive integer can be expressed as a unique product of primes. By using prime factorization, we can show that the lcm(a,b) and gcd(a,b) have the same prime factors, but with different exponents. When multiplied together, these factors cancel out, resulting in ab.

4. Are there any exceptions to this equality?

No, this equality holds true for all positive integers a and b. However, it is important to note that if either a or b is equal to 1, then lcm(a,b)=gcd(a,b)=1, and the equality becomes 1=1.

5. How does this equality relate to the concept of coprime numbers?

Two numbers are coprime if their greatest common divisor is 1. In this case, the lcm(a,b)=ab, as there are no common factors between a and b to be canceled out. Therefore, this equality can also be used to show that two coprime numbers are also each other's least common multiple and greatest common divisor.