Abt helium balloon and electrolysis

In summary, some helium balloons may not have enough helium to float and will instead jump or move horizontally. As for the funny glass cups, they have cathode and anode at the bottom that light up when water is poured in. However, the constant replacement of water can lead to toxic materials being deposited at the bottom, making the cups unsuitable for drinking.
lwymarie
Sorry I am poor at using English to describe things. I hope you will patiently read my questions and answer them.

1. I saw some helium balloons today. We all know that if you do not hold the helium balloons, they will rise up to the sky. But today I saw a bundle of helium balloons (their holding strings are tied up together) on the floor. They do not rise up to the sky. Instead, the balloons just jump up and down or move horizontally. Can you explain why is it so? When do the helium balloons rise up and when do they not?

2. I bought some funny glass cups. There are the cathode and the anode at the inner surface of the bottom of the cup. The bottom of the cup contains some light bulbs. So when you pour some water into the cup, the bottom of will light up.
So if water inside the cup is replaced consistently, there will be a thin layer (originally cations) covering the cathode. In the same way, there will be a thin layer (originally anions) covering the anode. So the cup will become 'toxic' as substances are deposited at the bottom. So these cups cannot be used for drinking. Am I right?

Thank you =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone ans me? ><

1. Not all balloons have enough helium to be positively buoyant.
2. No, I would not drink out of that cup.

russ_watters said:
1. Not all balloons have enough helium to be positively buoyant.
2. No, I would not drink out of that cup.

So toxic materials may be deposited at the bottom?

Related to Abt helium balloon and electrolysis

1. What is a helium balloon made of?

A helium balloon is typically made of a thin, stretchy material such as latex or Mylar. The balloon is filled with helium gas, which is lighter than air and causes the balloon to float.

2. How does electrolysis work?

Electrolysis is a chemical reaction that uses an electrical current to split a compound into its component elements. In the case of water, electrolysis breaks the molecules into hydrogen and oxygen gas.

3. Can you use electrolysis to fill a helium balloon?

No, electrolysis cannot be used to fill a helium balloon. Helium gas is a noble gas and cannot be produced through electrolysis. Helium must be extracted from natural gas reserves.

4. How long does a helium balloon last?

The lifespan of a helium balloon depends on several factors, such as the quality of the balloon and the amount of helium used. On average, a helium balloon filled with regular helium gas can last for 8-12 hours. A balloon filled with a special mix of helium and air can last for several days.

5. Is it safe to inhale helium from a balloon?

No, it is not safe to inhale helium from a balloon. Helium gas can displace oxygen in the lungs, causing dizziness, shortness of breath, and even loss of consciousness. Inhaling helium can also cause damage to the vocal cords.