Need a material that can hold Helium....

In summary, experts say that helium balloons are the best option because they are transparent and permeable, but they need to be careful because helium is very tiny and eventually will leak out of the balloon. They also say that if you want a lighted balloon, you will need to attach a canister to the balloon.
Pat Trainor
Experts,

I'm in need of a balloon to hold an RF antenna aloft, and that can have a light (LED) in it. For cost & safety, it appears Helium is the choice. But everything I'm reading says that He atoms are so tiny they pass (eventually) through traditional balloon materials quickly. There is a cheap mylar-metal (aluminum?) material used in cheap party balloons, but I need something a bit more rugged.

Without consideration for the weight of the enclosing material, I'll be using a balloon at about 3' to 5' diameter, but the interior really needs to be lit. So the need is materials that are transparent/translucent and yet able to contain He for a relatively long period. I'm talking 72 hours or so with really little loss-much better than your party balloons do...

Hoping that this is a good generic forum to ask, are there materials I can make a spherical balloon from as-is, or perhaps some combination, or layers?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pat Trainor said:
But everything I'm reading says that He atoms are so tiny they pass (eventually) through traditional balloon materials quickly.
Maybe one possibility would be to attach a small He canister to the balloon assembly, and have a simple electromechanical circuit that can maintain the He volume over the duration of the flight. You'd need to calculate the additional size of the balloon needed to support the extra weight, and see if it was worth it to have the on-board replenishment process to extend the flight time. A canister about this size...

https://www.luftballons.biz/en/balloons-helium-kits/metallic-balloons-helium-small-bottles-disposable-mini-helium/balloons-mixed-metallic-colors-disposable-mini-helium-cylinder

https://www.luftballons.biz/media/images/org/mini-ballons-helium-sets-metallic-bunt.jpg

mini-ballons-helium-sets-metallic-bunt.jpg

Attachments

• mini-ballons-helium-sets-metallic-bunt.jpg
    mini-ballons-helium-sets-metallic-bunt.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,396
Conventional weather balloons are translucent, and inexpensive. One more thing, check about FCC licenses for the transmitter. Also, if the LED light is to warn off airplanes, the FAA has minimum brightness requirements and color requirements, I think red and 2 mile visibility is the minimum. That might be easier to achieve with a light that is outside the balloon, and also it makes your transparent/transluscent requirement go away.

Burst_Diameter_Weather_Balloon_large.jpg

Attachments

• Burst_Diameter_Weather_Balloon_large.jpg
    Burst_Diameter_Weather_Balloon_large.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,314
Likes berkeman
anorlunda said:
Conventional weather balloons
What are they using to inflate the balloon in that picture? Looks like a leaf blower, but that can't be right. Is it some He canister attachment?

berkeman said:
What are they using to inflate the balloon in that picture? Looks like a leaf blower, but that can't be right. Is it some He canister attachment?

I have no idea. I just searched for a photo of a translucent weather balloon. Maybe someone staged that photo for demo purposes.

berkeman said:
Looks like a leaf blower, but that can't be right. Is it some He canister attachment?

If that balloon was filled with helium it would not be nearly spherical. The buoyancy would cause an upside down teardrop shape.

BoB

1. What type of material is best for holding Helium?

The most commonly used material for storing Helium is aluminum. It has a high strength-to-weight ratio and is able to contain Helium without leaking for extended periods of time.

2. How does the material prevent Helium from leaking?

The material used for holding Helium must have a very low permeability, meaning it does not allow gases to pass through it easily. This prevents Helium from escaping and being lost.

3. Can any material be used to hold Helium?

No, not all materials are suitable for holding Helium. Some materials, such as rubber or plastic, have a high permeability and will allow Helium to escape over time.

4. What are the risks of using the wrong material for holding Helium?

If the wrong material is used, Helium can leak out and be lost, resulting in a decrease in pressure and potentially causing damage to equipment or experiments that require Helium gas.

5. How do I know if a material is suitable for holding Helium?

To determine if a material is suitable for holding Helium, it must be tested for its permeability and ability to contain Helium without leakage. It is important to consult with experts and follow safety protocols when handling Helium gas.