Abundance and mass spectrum of PBH

In summary, abundance refers to the quantity of primordial black holes, while mass spectrum is a measure of the distribution of black holes with different masses. However, calculating abundance as the integral of the Gaussian probability density may result in a number or mass density, but further context is needed for a more accurate answer.
koulbichok
Hello. I'm trying to study primordial black holes for my work, but I still can't understand what are abundance and mass spectrum? Could you explain? Thanks in advance.

Space news on Phys.org
Abundance is how many there are, and mass spectrum is a measure of how abundant black holes of different masses are.

kimbyd said:
Abundance is how many there are, and mass spectrum is a measure of how abundant black holes of different masses are.
Yes, I know that abundance is how many there are, but it’s calculated as the integral of the Gaussian probability density and this isn’t a number of black holes. Where I am wrong

koulbichok said:
Yes, I know that abundance is how many there are, but it’s calculated as the integral of the Gaussian probability density and this isn’t a number of black holes. Where I am wrong
The result should be either a number or mass density. But you'll need to provide more context if you want a good answer to your question.

Likes Orodruin and jim mcnamara

1. What are PBHs and how are they formed?

PBHs, or primordial black holes, are hypothetical black holes that are thought to have formed in the early universe. They are believed to have formed from the gravitational collapse of high density regions in the early universe, such as fluctuations in the density of matter.

2. What is the abundance of PBHs in the universe?

The abundance of PBHs in the universe is currently unknown and is a topic of ongoing research. It is believed that if PBHs do exist, they would be present in very small quantities compared to other types of black holes.

3. How are PBHs detected?

PBHs are difficult to detect due to their small size and lack of observable electromagnetic radiation. However, they can be indirectly detected through their gravitational effects on surrounding matter, such as the bending of light or the disruption of orbits of nearby objects.

4. What is the mass spectrum of PBHs?

The mass spectrum of PBHs is currently uncertain and is dependent on the formation mechanism. It is believed that PBHs could have a wide range of masses, from tiny micro black holes to massive black holes similar to those found in the centers of galaxies.

5. What is the significance of PBHs in cosmology?

PBHs are important in cosmology because they could potentially provide insights into the early universe and the formation of structures. They could also have implications for dark matter and the overall mass density of the universe.