Abundancy of Uranium 235 when the earth was formed.

In summary, the Earth is approximately 4.5 billion years old and the current abundancy of 235U is 0.65%. To determine its abundancy when the Earth formed, we can use the equation N/N0 = e^-lambda*t, where lambda is the decay constant and t is the time period. Since N can't be negative and can potentially be larger than N0 when going back in time, we can deduce that the new abundancy would be smaller than 0.65%. Ultimately, we need to adjust the equation to account for the different decay constants of 235U and 238U, which results in the equation A(new) = 0.0065*e^(lambda238-lambda235
SuperPokenerd

Homework Statement

The Earth is about 4.5 billion years old. If 235U is 0.65% abundant today, how abundant was it when the Earth formed? Note, in this case abundancy is defined as the ratio of Uranium 235 to Uranium 238

Homework Equations

R=N(lambda)
N=N0e^-lambda(t)
Half Life = ln(2)/lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really unsure how to do this problem. I tried reworking the above equations but I was not able to get the correct answer. I need a little help getting started.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your second equation, you can divied by N0 to give N/N0. What would this quantity represent? Think about the total range of values this quantity could take on. Can N be negative? Can N>No?

Well, N/N0 would be the probability that a nucleus has decayed in the given period of time which in this case would be -4.5billion years if we take t=0 to be the present. And can't N be larger than N0 if we are going back in time?

ok, so I've worked it up to the point where I have the new abundancy = .0065e^(lambda238-lambda235)*4.5billion years but it's wrong. How can i fix this?

Got it wrong so now I got an 80 on my HW. Thanks for nothing.

Related to Abundancy of Uranium 235 when the earth was formed.

What is Uranium 235?

Uranium 235 is a naturally occurring radioactive element that is found in small amounts in the Earth's crust. It is a fissile isotope, meaning it can undergo nuclear fission and release energy.

How abundant is Uranium 235 on Earth?

Uranium 235 makes up about 0.72% of all naturally occurring uranium on Earth. This may seem like a small amount, but it is still considered a relatively abundant element.

How was Uranium 235 formed on Earth?

Uranium 235 was formed through the process of nucleosynthesis, which occurred during the formation of the Earth about 4.5 billion years ago. It was created through the fusion of lighter elements in stars and supernovae explosions.

What role does Uranium 235 play in the Earth's geology?

Uranium 235 is an important element in the Earth's geology as it is a major source of geothermal heat and contributes to the Earth's magnetic field. It also plays a role in the formation of certain minerals and can be used as a geochronometer to date rocks.

How is Uranium 235 used today?

Uranium 235 has many important uses today, including in nuclear power generation, nuclear weapons, and medical treatments such as radiation therapy. It is also used in scientific research and as a catalyst in certain chemical reactions.