Calculating the Isotope Ratio of Uranium 235 and 238 4.5 Billion Years Ago

In summary: If that is correct than the ratios I wrote down above are the answer to the problem.In summary, the conversation discusses the current share and half-life times of Uranium isotopes on Earth. The goal is to calculate the ratio between the isotopes 4.5 billion years ago. After using the formula ##N(t)=N_0e^{-\frac{t}{\tau }}## and setting up equations for the current ratio, the final answer is that the ratio between Uranium 235 and 238 at that time was ##0.9978## and ##0.0022## respectively.
skrat

Homework Statement

Current share of Uranium isotope on Earth is 99.28% (##^{238}U##) and 0.72% (##^{235}U##), half-life times are ##7.04\cdot 10^8 years## (##^{235}U##) and ##4.468\cdot 10^9 years## (##^{238}U##). Calculate the ratio between the isotopes ##4.5\cdot 10^9 years## ago.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If hope it is ok to say that ##N(t)=N_0e^{-\frac{t}{\tau }}##.

Let's now say that ##N_{238}(t)=Ae^{-\frac{t}{\lambda }}## where ##\lambda =\frac{t_{1/2}^{238}}{ln2}## and
##N_{235}(t)=Be^{-\frac{t}{\mu }}## where ##\mu =\frac{t_{1/2}^{235}}{ln2}##.

Now we know that ##\frac{N_{238}(t)}{N_{238}(t)+N_{235}(t)}=0.9928## and also ##\frac{N_{235}(t)}{N_{238}(t)+N_{235}(t)}=0.0072##

Knowing this, I can write:

##\frac{N_{238}(t)}{N_{238}(t)+N_{235}(t)}=\frac{Ae^{-\frac{t}{\lambda }}}{Ae^{-\frac{t}{\lambda }}+Be^{-\frac{t}{\mu }}}=0.9928## and

##\frac{Be^{-\frac{t}{\mu }}}{Ae^{-\frac{t}{\lambda }}+Be^{-\frac{t}{\mu }}}=0.0072##

Dividing last two gives me:

##\frac{Ae^{-\frac{t}{\lambda }}}{Be^{-\frac{t}{\mu }}}=\frac{0.9928}{0.0072}## and

##A=Be^{-t/\mu +t/\lambda }\frac{0.9928}{0.0072}##

Inserting this into ##\frac{Be^{-\frac{t}{\mu }}}{Ae^{-\frac{t}{\lambda }}+Be^{-\frac{t}{\mu }}}=0.0072## leaves me with the result that ##B=1##.

Knowing this also gives me a result for ##A##, therefore ##A=459.8##.

So... If I am not mistaken, than following ratios should be the result I am searching:

##\frac{B}{B+A}=0.9978## for Uranium 235 and ##\frac{A}{B+A}=0.0022## for Uranium 238.

Which to me is a bit confusing, so I would kindly ask somebody to tell me where I got it all wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Inserting this into ##\frac{Be^{-\frac{t}{\mu }}}{Ae^{-\frac{t}{\lambda }}+Be^{-\frac{t}{\mu }}}=0.0072## leaves me with the result that ##B=1##
Is not correct. It leaves you with the result that 0.0072 = 0.0072, which is not extremely useful.

B = 1 is a strange answer anyway, right ?
And: you should become suspicious when your answer stipulates that the fastest decaying isotope was less abundant in the past than the other one!

And now for some more constructive stuff:
First you want to check that 238U doesn't decay into 235U, which it doesn't.
So both can be considered independent.

You have expressions for the current ratio N238 / N235.
With ##N(t)=N_0e^{-\frac{t}{\tau }}## you also have expressions for ##N(t)/N_0## for both.
All you have to do is fill in the numbers !

BvU said:
You have expressions for the current ratio N238 / N235.
With ##N(t)=N_0e^{-\frac{t}{\tau }}## you also have expressions for ##N(t)/N_0## for both.
All you have to do is fill in the numbers !

Fill in the numbers into what? o_O

All I have is ##\frac{N_{238}(t)}{N_{238}(t)+N_{235}(t)}=0.9928## and ##\frac{N_{235}(t)}{N_{238}(t)+N_{235}(t)}=0.0072##, of course dividing those two brings me to current ratio, just like you said but... ?

I don't get it what the next step is supposed to be..

You reached the equation
##A=Be^{-t/\mu +t/\lambda }\frac{0.9928}{0.0072}##
which is correct. You should now plug in the known values for t, λ, and μ. and solve for A/B.

Ok...

##A=3.30B##.

1. What is the share of Uranium isotopes?

The share of Uranium isotopes refers to the percentage of different isotopes of Uranium present in a sample. Uranium has three naturally occurring isotopes: Uranium-238, Uranium-235, and Uranium-234. These isotopes have different numbers of neutrons in their nucleus, leading to different physical properties.

2. Why is the share of Uranium isotopes important?

The share of Uranium isotopes is important because it affects the properties and uses of Uranium. For example, Uranium-235 is used in nuclear reactors to generate energy, while Uranium-238 is used in the production of nuclear weapons. The ratio of isotopes also determines the radioactivity of Uranium, which is important for safety and environmental considerations.

3. How is the share of Uranium isotopes measured?

The share of Uranium isotopes can be measured using a technique called mass spectrometry. This method separates the different isotopes based on their mass-to-charge ratio and measures the relative abundance of each isotope. This information can also be obtained through chemical analysis or nuclear reactions.

4. Can the share of Uranium isotopes change?

Yes, the share of Uranium isotopes can change through natural processes such as radioactive decay and nuclear reactions. It can also be altered through human activities, such as nuclear fuel enrichment, which changes the ratio of Uranium-235 to Uranium-238.

5. What are the implications of changes in the share of Uranium isotopes?

Changes in the share of Uranium isotopes can have significant implications for various industries and applications. For example, changes in the ratio of Uranium-235 to Uranium-238 can affect the efficiency of nuclear power plants or the potency of nuclear weapons. It can also impact the accuracy of radiometric dating methods, which rely on the known decay rates of Uranium isotopes.