AC electromagnet and aluminium levitation

In summary, the conversation discusses building an AC electromagnet levitation device using an iron core and a small piece of aluminium. The person asking the question has limited knowledge in physics but is skilled with tools and soldering. They ask about the stability of the aluminium disc on the electromagnet and if it will be similar to the jumping ring experiment. The expert responds that there may be problems with stability due to the imperfect homogeneity of the B-field and the asymmetrical shape of the disc. They suggest trying an experiment with two electromagnet coils to achieve stability. The person also shares a video of a similar experiment with a larger aluminium base and a levitating electromagnet. The expert explains that the roles are reversed in this experiment and suggests using gyro
ErikL
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum as a member, but have come across some of the topics here via google in the past.
I'm trying to build an AC electromagnet levitation device, to levitate a small piece of aluminium.
My knowledge in physics is limited to popular science and interest, but I am pretty handy with tools and soldering and such.
My question is this:
I want to build an AC electromagnet with an iron core (which will be powered by a 24 VAC), about 10 inch in diameter (the core), and levitate on top of it a small aluminium disc (about 2 inches in diameter). Can it be done like that? simply building an AC electromagnet like that, then switch it on, then put the aluminium disc and will float? will the aluminium disc be stable on the electromagnet, or will it fly away like in the jumping ring experiment? I've attached a very simple diagram of what I want to build.
diagram.jpg

Please, I would appreciate your feedback.

Regards,
ErikL

Engineering news on Phys.org
Read about stability here

Last edited:
zoki85 said:
Read about stability here
Zoki, thanks for your reply. According to the wikipedia article you've linked to, under Stability>Static, it says that:
Conductors can have a relative permeability to alternating magnetic fields of below one, so some configurations using simple AC driven electromagnets are self stable.
So, should I gather from this that the device I want to build falls under the definition of "simple AC driven electromagnet" and will levitate the aluminium disc with stability?

Regards,
ErikL.

I don't think so. You'll have problem with stability quite likely.

zoki85 said:
I don't think so. You'll have problem with stability quite likely.

Ok, can you please explain why? as this is unclear from the wikipedia article you've linked to. And what would I need, to make this stable?

Regards,
ErikL.

Becouse B-field generated isn't perfectly homogenous + finitelly conducting disc shape isn't symmetrical enough so any small disturbance will destabilize levitation. However, you may want trying experiment of levitating Al-ball in an AC field of two electromagnet coils ( see here ) . That can work.
Regards

zoki85 said:
Becouse B-field generated isn't perfectly homogenous + finitelly conducting disc shape isn't symmetrical enough so any small disturbance will destabilize levitation. However, you may want trying experiment of levitating Al-ball in an AC field of two electromagnet coils ( see here ) . That can work.
Regards

I see. I've actually came across the link you shared in your last reply while researching the subject. However, I've found this video on youtube:

It looks like a reversed form to what I'm suggesting - just that this time, the aluminium is a large base (1/4" thick) and the AC electromagnet (36 VAC, 60Hz) is levitating on the base. It does move around a bit and slide on the aluminium base - but it seems pretty stable. If I will try my original, simple design, is that the kind of instability I should expect, or would the disc simply fly off, as if I was trying to make one permanent magnet levitating on another permanent magnet?

You're expected to have stronger instability in your original setup than in the experiment in the video.

zoki85 said:
You're expected to have stronger instability in your original setup than in the experiment in the video.
zoki85, first of all thank you very much for taking the time and replying to my questions.
Second, I hope you do realize your replies encourage me to ask more questions :).

Why would there be a difference? Why would the levitating electromagnet on top of an aluminium base be more stable than a levitating aluminium disc on top of an electromagnet?

One would think there ought to be some sort of symmetry so I could arrange for some sort of stability (even similar to the video) with the reversed roles (as shown in the video).

Regards,
ErikL.

ErikL said:
Why would there be a difference? Why would the levitating electromagnet on top of an aluminium base be more stable than a levitating aluminium disc on top of an electromagnet?
Why I can ballance a vertical stick on top of my head, but can't ballance my body on top of the stick? It's nothing else but roles reversed:)
If you really want to levitate a disc-like shape in a magnetic field use a gyroscopic effect

Would the OP's initial arrangement be more stable if an iron ring were placed on the top surface of the coil, so that it helped to make the B-field a bit stronger around the outer edge of the iron core, and a little less strong in the middle of the top surface?

I would recommend experimenting first with aluminium ball in initial arrangement, to see what kind of instability develops.

Stable arrangement with 4 electromagnets and big Al disc:

So, zoki85, if I were interested in making an aluminium disc floating using oscillating magnetic field, instead of the gyroscopic stabilization which the levitron employs, I should use more than one electromagnet? do the electromagnets need to be in operated in some sort of phase or opposing currents?

Electromagnets should be identical, and fixed in a symmetrical fashion.
But, it seems that one electromagnet can be enough for the stability IF the plate is big enough!
I've just found this:

This is as close as it gets to your experimental arrangementCheers

Last edited:

1. How does an AC electromagnet work?

An AC electromagnet uses alternating current to create a fluctuating magnetic field. This is achieved by passing the current through a coil of wire, which creates a magnetic field when electricity flows through it. When the direction of the current changes, the direction of the magnetic field also changes, resulting in an alternating magnetic field.

2. What is the principle behind aluminium levitation using an AC electromagnet?

The principle behind aluminium levitation is called Lenz's Law, which states that when a conductor (in this case, aluminium) is placed in a changing magnetic field, it will experience an opposing magnetic field. This opposing field interacts with the original magnetic field, resulting in levitation.

3. Can any type of aluminium be levitated using an AC electromagnet?

No, only non-magnetic aluminium can be levitated using an AC electromagnet. This is because magnetic aluminium will not experience the opposing magnetic field due to its own magnetic properties.

4. What factors affect the stability of aluminium levitation using an AC electromagnet?

The stability of aluminium levitation can be affected by various factors such as the strength and frequency of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the aluminium object, and the distance between the object and the electromagnet. Any changes in these factors can cause the levitation to become unstable or collapse.

5. Is aluminium levitation using an AC electromagnet a practical application?

While it may not have many practical applications, aluminium levitation using an AC electromagnet is a fun and interesting demonstration of electromagnetic principles. It can also be used for educational purposes to help students understand concepts such as Lenz's Law and magnetic fields.