AC frequency and power of an electrical appliance

In summary, changes to the frequency of the power grid won't significantly change the power output of devices that use resistive heating. However, changes to the frequency of the power grid might change the power consumed by devices that use certain types of motors. Changes to the frequency of the power grid might also change the power consumed by devices that use programmable time clocks.
Alexandar
So the frequency in the power grid is 50 - 60 Hz depending on country's electrical standard.
If I have a ~2000 watt heater that runs on 220 volts ~ 9 amps at 50 Hz, would increasing or decreasing the frequency effect the power output of the device. For example if I make the device run at 75 Hz without changing voltage or current would the output power of the device be increased. I haven't learned any mathematical expressions involving frequency when calculating power (W = I * V). If anyone could provide such it will be helpful.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Small changes to the mains frequency won't significantly change the power dissipated in something like a resistive heating element. They might change the power consumed by appliances that use certain types of motor. Some types of programmable time clock rely on the mains frequency so appliances fitted with those may run fast and operate more frequently meaning a greater average power consumption.

Are you asking just for curiosity or do you have an application?

CWatters said:
Small changes to the mains frequency won't significantly change the power dissipated in something like a resistive heating element. They might change the power consumed by appliances that use certain types of motor. Some types of programmable time clock rely on the mains frequency so appliances fitted with those may run fast and operate more frequently meaning a greater average power consumption.

Are you asking just for curiosity or do you have an application?

I was thinking that by increasing the frequency without changing other values like volts and current could lead to more heat production without change in power consumption. Maybe I am wrong to assume this but it seems to make sense.

AC > Frequency Converter > Device. Please explain if I am wrong why and how does it actually work.

If it worked as you think it would mean that more power was coming out of the frequency converter than was going in. That would violate conservation of energy.

For DC you are probably familiar with the equation..

Power = Volts * Amps

In the case of AC the instantaneous power is also given by that equation but you are normally interested in the average power. In the case of AC the voltage and current changes with time. You could sample both and multiply all the samples together to calculate the instantaneous power, then calculate the average power from that. However there is a way to "cheat" and multiply the "average" voltage by the "average" current to get the average power.

I put average in quotes because it's actually the rms voltage and current you use. If you aren't familiar with rms see...
http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/practical-physics/explaining-rms-voltage-and-current

The rms voltage or current doesn't change if the frequency changes so the average power doesn't change either.

In the case of resistive loads that's about all there is to say. However if the loads are inductive or capacitive then things can get more complicated but perhaps leave that until you are really happy with the above.

What is AC frequency and how does it affect an electrical appliance?

AC frequency refers to the number of times the direction of the current in an electrical circuit changes per second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz). The frequency of an AC current can affect the performance and functionality of an electrical appliance, as different appliances are designed to operate at specific frequencies. For example, most household appliances in the United States are designed to operate at 60 Hz, while in Europe and many other countries, the standard frequency is 50 Hz.

How is AC frequency related to the power consumption of an electrical appliance?

The AC frequency of an electrical appliance is directly related to its power consumption. This is because the higher the frequency, the faster the current alternates, which leads to more energy being consumed by the appliance. Therefore, it is important to use appliances at their designated frequency to ensure optimal energy efficiency.

Can an electrical appliance operate at different AC frequencies?

In most cases, no. Electrical appliances are designed to operate at specific frequencies, and using them at a different frequency can result in damage to the appliance or cause it to malfunction. However, some appliances, such as laptops and phone chargers, have built-in converters that allow them to operate at different frequencies.

What happens if an electrical appliance is used at a higher or lower AC frequency than it is designed for?

If an electrical appliance is used at a higher frequency than it is designed for, it can overheat and potentially cause a fire. On the other hand, using an appliance at a lower frequency can cause it to underperform and may also lead to overheating. It is important to always check the frequency rating of an appliance before use.

How does the AC frequency of an electrical appliance affect its lifespan?

The AC frequency of an electrical appliance can affect its lifespan in several ways. Using an appliance at a higher frequency than it is designed for can cause it to wear out faster, leading to a shorter lifespan. Similarly, using an appliance at a lower frequency can also cause it to malfunction and reduce its lifespan. It is important to use appliances at their designated frequencies to ensure their longevity.