AC Motor - 120v to 220v static conversion problem

In summary, the individual is working on a senior project that involves a frequency controlled AC motor. The motor requires 220vac three phase, but the frequency driver being used is only capable of providing 208vac three phase. When the motor is run at 45Hz, it reaches its maximum current of 2.4A even under no load. The individual plans to mechanically couple the motor to a DC generator to power a 12v DC fan, and can adjust the electrical load to simulate different applications. However, the age of the motor may be causing issues with the frequency driver, and solutions such as adding a snubber or increasing the size of the frequency driver have been suggested. It has also been discovered that the motor is not
Ken Lavis
I'm currently working on a senior project that consists of a frequency controlled AC motor that statically converts 120vac out of the wall to 220vac three phase required for the motor. It is a 1/3 HP, 208vac, 2.4A, 1.35SF, 1720 RPM motor. The frequency driver says it is capable for 2.6A 208vac 3 phase output. The issue i am having, is when i run the motor at approximately 45Hz of it's maximum 60Hz, it will reach it's current of 2.4A under no load. Of all things I find, I should be able to run the motor at full speed at anywhere from 66%-80% of it's rated horsepower.

The motor will be mechanically coupled to a DC generator to simply power a 12v DC fan. If I keep it on an electrical load to demonstrate the output say desired for a given application, I can alter the electrical load to simulate say a device that will draw 10mA or 2A.

The frequency driver I have is a reliance, yet it is an older model (don't have the model numbers on me at this time). If anyone can give me some insight into static phase conversions and why I cannot run the motor at max speed without the motor running at maximum overload capacity. (Measured leg current = 3.2A: 2.4A (Rated) * 1.35 (SF) = 3.24A)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does that Reliance reduce the voltage as it lowers the frequency? It should. At the lower frequencies, the inductive reactance of the motor goes down and, therfore, the current will go up.

As I have found in further investigation, i was able to determine that it comes down to more of the age of my motor. There was a tag on the motor saying the last inspection time was in 1971. Figuring that the motor is maybe another 10 years older than that, it wasn't mechanically made to handle a VFD. The solutions I was informed of was to add in a snubber or upping the size of the VFD. Another thought I had was possilby installing a flywheel to the shaft of the motor, so once it was up to speed it would be able to makeup for the overload.

What I didn't know at the time of my post, was that normally VFD's are AC to DC to AC and use pulse width modulation in order to drive the motor. The motor sees it as AC so it makes it alright, but due to the motor being of an older construction, it will burn holes through the insulation. I did notice some burning within the motor that may be from older missuse, but possible that the VFD is responsible for it.

What I cannot find is documentation talking about using 120V as the input and having a 208V output of the VFD. Most everything is on either a larger scale, or uses 220V 2 phase in, or 220 3 phase in.

As I have found in further investigation, i was able to determine that it comes down to more of the age of my motor. There was a tag on the motor saying the last inspection time was in 1971. Figuring that the motor is maybe another 10 years older than that, it wasn't mechanically made to handle a VFD. The solutions I was informed of was to add in a snubber or upping the size of the VFD. Another thought I had was possilby installing a flywheel to the shaft of the motor, so once it was up to speed it would be able to makeup for the overload.

What I didn't know at the time of my post, was that normally VFD's are AC to DC to AC and use pulse width modulation in order to drive the motor. The motor sees it as AC so it makes it alright, but due to the motor being of an older construction, it will burn holes through the insulation. I did notice some burning within the motor that may be from older missuse, but possible that the VFD is responsible for it.

What I cannot find is documentation talking about using 120V as the input and having a 208V output of the VFD. Most everything is on either a larger scale, or uses 220V 2 phase in, or 220 3 phase in.

1. What is an AC motor?

An AC motor is a type of electric motor that operates on alternating current (AC) power. It converts electrical energy into mechanical energy to power various devices and machines.

2. What is the difference between 120v and 220v AC motors?

The main difference between 120v and 220v AC motors is the voltage they require to operate. 120v motors are designed to run on standard household voltage, while 220v motors require a higher voltage and are typically used for larger appliances and industrial equipment.

3. What is a static conversion problem?

A static conversion problem refers to the issue of converting an AC motor from one voltage to another. This can be a problem when attempting to use a motor designed for 120v in a location where 220v is the standard, or vice versa.

4. How can I convert an AC motor from 120v to 220v?

To convert an AC motor from 120v to 220v, you will need to use a step-up transformer. This device will increase the voltage from 120v to 220v, allowing the motor to operate at the higher voltage. It is important to note that this may affect the motor's performance and should only be attempted if you have the proper knowledge and equipment.

5. Is it possible to convert an AC motor from 220v to 120v?

Yes, it is possible to convert an AC motor from 220v to 120v using a step-down transformer. However, this may also affect the motor's performance and should only be done if you have the necessary knowledge and equipment. It is recommended to consult a professional electrician for assistance with converting AC motors.