AC Motor from Washing Machine: 11 Wires & Sparks

In summary: You can also get motors with variable speed capabilities, which means the motor will run at a different speed depending on the load. For example, if you have a small appliance that requires a low speed, the motor might run at a low speed. If you have a large appliance that requires a high speed, the motor might run at a high speed.
caesius
AC motor from washing machine, has 11 wires from it. Aside from Earth I have no idea what they are however I have observed:

If the white+blue OR the red+orange wires are bought into contact then the shaft becomes hard to turn AND I can get a few small sparks by spinning the shaft and quickly touching these wires together.

So I guess these have something to do with the power. Why four power wires though? Can someone explain AC motors better than what I've read on WIki?

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the reason for 4 power wires is the same as why some transformers have 4 wires: to allow for either 120V or 240V ac input voltage. You wire the line voltage to the input wires one way if it's 120V, and a different way if it's 240.

You have starter windings (to get the rotor spinning in the right direction) and you have running windings. In addition, as Redbelly suggests, you have the option to power the motor at two different voltages, depending on application. Here's an introduction.

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/elec-mtr/elec-mtr.html

caesius said:
AC motor from washing machine, has 11 wires from it. Aside from Earth I have no idea what they are however I have observed:

If the white+blue OR the red+orange wires are bought into contact then the shaft becomes hard to turn AND I can get a few small sparks by spinning the shaft and quickly touching these wires together.

So I guess these have something to do with the power. Why four power wires though? Can someone explain AC motors better than what I've read on WIki?

Cheers.

Most likely they are for direction and speed. I've noticed that most appliances have a wiring diagram hidden inside a panel for the technicians. Perhaps you have one somewhere too. If not, check out the manufacturer's website. They'll probably have a download for it.

CS

The speed of the motor is determined by the number of pole pairs designed into it. AC motors are generally designed for one speed only although multi-speed AC motors are available.

A 2-pole motor (1 pair of poles) will have a synchronous speed of 3600 rpm when driven by 60 Hz supply [3000rpm when driven by 50Hz]

1800 rpm when it has 2 pole pairs.

1200 rpm with 3 pole pairs.

900 rpm with 4 pole pairs.

720 rpm with 5 pole pairs.

600 rpm with 6 pole pairs.

514.285714286 rpm with 7 pole pairs.

450 rpm with 8 pole pairs.

...and so on.

The synchronous speeds are those at which a non-synchronous motor produces no torque. The running speeds will be something like...

&c

depending on the slip the motor.

Synchronous motors run at full synchronous speeds.

1. What are the 11 wires for in an AC motor from a washing machine?

The 11 wires in an AC motor from a washing machine serve different purposes such as providing power, controlling the speed and direction of the motor, and connecting to other components in the machine.

2. Why does an AC motor from a washing machine produce sparks?

The sparks produced by an AC motor from a washing machine are a normal part of its operation. They are caused by the brushes rubbing against the commutator, which is necessary for the motor to function properly.

3. Can I replace the 11 wires in an AC motor from a washing machine with fewer wires?

No, the 11 wires in an AC motor from a washing machine are specifically designed and necessary for its function. Attempting to replace them with fewer wires could lead to malfunction or damage to the motor.

4. How can I troubleshoot problems with an AC motor from a washing machine?

To troubleshoot problems with an AC motor from a washing machine, you can check the wiring connections, test the continuity of the wires, and inspect the brushes and commutator for any damage. If these do not solve the issue, it may be necessary to replace the motor.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with an AC motor from a washing machine?

Yes, it is important to disconnect the power source and discharge any stored energy in the motor before attempting to work on it. It is also recommended to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles to avoid any accidents or injuries.