Salvaged Washing Machine Motor to Power Chicken Plucker

In summary, the electrical wiring for this project will require knowledge of NEC and UL rules, as well as a fuse and Earth ground.
OS_Dad
006.JPG
007.JPG
Hi Folks, I came across this knowledgeable site through Google.

What I am trying to do is use a salvaged Whirlpool 2 speed washing machine motor to power a chicken plucker I an making. The original switch crapped out on me and I am now trying to wire the motor directly to a simple on/off switch.

Can someone please help me with the electrical? I have seven wires going into the motor. What will my wiring schematic be to go to a simple on/off power switch. If possible the slow speed would be best for my application.

I have attached the wiring diagram for the washer and a photo of the motor.

Your expertise is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
A few pics of the project itself.
006.JPG
001.JPG
008.JPG
018.JPG

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What is your level of experience working with electricity? Are you aware of the safety rules for working with AC Mains voltages (like NEC and UL rules)?

Great thread title, BTW...

I have limited knowledge but have colleagues who are trained in such who is doing the wiring for me They are just not familiar with this specific wiring configuration and requested I get some opinions.

OS_Dad said:
I have limited knowledge but have colleagues who are trained in such who is doing the wiring for me They are just not familiar with this specific wiring configuration and requested I get some opinions.
How are they wiring up a fuse and doing the Earth grounding for safety?

I may be wrong but I assume that it will be grounded through the 3 prong plug. I don't think they got anywhere with looking at it yet

Whelp, we don't give out advice that could get people hurt or start a fire. Please have one of your electrical friends PM me with their background and how they will meet UL rules for safety in wiring this up. Thread is closed until that happens.

1. How does a salvaged washing machine motor power a chicken plucker?

The salvaged washing machine motor is repurposed and modified to provide rotational power to the chicken plucker. The motor is connected to a power source and a pulley system, which in turn rotates the plucking fingers or plates.

2. Can any type of washing machine motor be used for this purpose?

Yes, most washing machine motors can be used for a chicken plucker. However, it is important to check the specifications of the motor to ensure it has enough power and torque to rotate the plucking fingers or plates effectively.

3. How much power does a salvaged washing machine motor provide?

The power output of a salvaged washing machine motor varies depending on the model and make. On average, a motor can provide around 1/2 to 1 horsepower, which is enough to power a chicken plucker.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a salvaged washing machine motor?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and precautions when using any type of motor. This includes wearing protective gear, ensuring all connections and wiring are secure, and following the manufacturer's instructions for proper use.

5. Can a salvaged washing machine motor be used for other purposes besides a chicken plucker?

Yes, a salvaged washing machine motor can be repurposed for various DIY projects, such as powering a wood lathe or a grain mill. However, it is important to note that modifications may be required depending on the specific use case.