What is the Acceleration (on Drum of Dancing Washing Machine?

In summary: Additionally, it is important to note that the machine's weight is primarily due to the concrete blocks attached to the inner drum, and the added weight of the dampers and springs can also affect the machine's balance and vibration patterns. Therefore, it would be beneficial to have an accelerometer that can accurately measure these forces and help the user determine when the machine needs to be stopped and re-balanced. In summary, it is recommended to use an accelerometer with a full scale range of +- 4g to accurately measure the g-forces and aid in maintaining the balance and stability of the washing machine during operation.
madsi
I have bought a washing machine on sale. It is rated at:

Its gross weight with clothes and water=100kg,
At least 50kg of the machine's weight is due to concrete blocks attached to the inner drum.
Max Centrifuging Speed=1400rpm, Max Clothes load=7kg

It dances(when taken for a spin, that is.)

I want to buy an accelerometer chip to measure the g-forces in XYZ on the top surface of the internal drum which is suspended by 2 large springs and also has attached 4 seemingly incompetent dampers.

I attached two additional dampers to the top concrete block, these were salvaged from a discarded washing machine and they help a bit, but the rotational forces cause the machine to find vibrational patterns that best avoid their encumbrance.

Please Note: on the top and bottom of the internal suspended tube are two attached large (approx. 25kg) concrete masses.

If I can detect when the machine needs to be stopped and re-balanced, then I will avoid having to occasionally sit on this machine during the machine cycle to get it to stand still while it is working and instead, try to implement stop, jiggle the clothes mass back and forth, then retry to dry again.

I have have torn out the internal machines logic board and have attached my own MCU to control the motor and all valves and motors and sensors with my own washy code.

The accelerometers that I have found have easiest to interface with are from Analog Devices and have analog XYZ outputs, come in ranges of Full Scale of +- 1G, 4g, 16g, 200g.

I am no millionaire..(or else I would have bought a better machine), but pray tell, which is the correct accelerometer FS range device to order?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Given the information provided, it would be best to use a device with a full scale range of +- 4g. This should provide enough sensitivity to detect any changes in the g-forces while the machine is operating, without being overly sensitive and causing interference or false readings.

What is the Acceleration (on Drum of Dancing Washing Machine)?

The acceleration on the drum of a dancing washing machine refers to the rate at which the drum is changing its speed or direction of motion.

How is Acceleration Measured on a Dancing Washing Machine Drum?

Acceleration can be measured on a dancing washing machine drum using a variety of methods, including accelerometers or motion sensors, which can track the changes in the drum's speed and direction.

What Factors Affect the Acceleration of a Dancing Washing Machine Drum?

The acceleration of a dancing washing machine drum can be affected by several factors, including the weight and distribution of the clothes inside the drum, the type and speed of the washing machine's motor, and any external forces acting on the machine.

Why is Acceleration Important to Consider in a Dancing Washing Machine Drum?

Acceleration is important to consider in a dancing washing machine drum because it can impact the efficiency and effectiveness of the washing machine's cleaning process. Excessive acceleration can cause the clothes to clump together and not be properly cleaned, while insufficient acceleration may not provide enough agitation to remove dirt and stains.

Can Acceleration on a Dancing Washing Machine Drum be Controlled?

Yes, acceleration on a dancing washing machine drum can be controlled through the use of various settings and features on the machine. Some machines have adjustable speeds and agitation levels, allowing for more control over the acceleration of the drum. Additionally, evenly distributing clothes inside the drum can help control and optimize the acceleration.