AC Signal Amplitude Modulation in Resonant Tank Circuit

In summary: The circuit has a power source, an AC square wave from the secondary coil of a transformer. The output is amplitude modulated because of the filtering effect of the LC parallel tank circuit.
HMS-776
I recently simulated a parallel resonant tank circuit on multisim.

I put an oscope across the tank circuit and I get an AC signal, but what interests me is that it is amplitude modulated. The oscillations slowly build up in amplitude, hit a peak and then die back down.

I think that the increased amplitude is due to the inductor and capacitor charging, once they hit their peak charge no more energy is input from the source and the energy begins to slowly dissipate...Until it reaches a point where it begins to charge again...Is this close at all to what is going on?

Can anyone explain to me why the AC signal has amplitude modulation?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does the circuit have a power source somewhere, AC or DC?

Input is pulsed DC (square wave) from the secondary coil of a transformer.

That kind of explains it. A square wave can be Fourier decomposed into an infinite sum of sinusoids with odd order frequencies. So you could write,

[tex]sqw(t) = cos(\omega t) - cos(3\omega t)/3 + cos(5\omega t)/5 ... [/tex]

Also, an LC parallel tank circuit acts as a bandpass filter. It's properties, such as a center frequency or the bandwidth depends on the values of L and C. So what's happening is you are filtering out some of the harmonics of the square wave.

Here is a W|A plot of a square wave approximation: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+cos(x)+-+cos(3x)/3+++cos(5x)/5+-+cos(7x)/7"

Here is another plot showing what happens when some cosine terms are removed because of being filtered out: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot++cos(5x)/5+-+cos(7x)/7"

Depending on the parameters such as the frequency of the square wave or values of L and C, you can get different outputs.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does the time step of your simulation compare to the resonant frequency?

1. What is AC signal amplitude modulation in a resonant tank circuit?

AC signal amplitude modulation in a resonant tank circuit is a technique used to vary the amplitude of an AC signal that is passing through a resonant circuit. This is achieved by changing the impedance of the circuit, which affects the amplitude of the signal.

2. How does AC signal amplitude modulation work in a resonant tank circuit?

In a resonant tank circuit, the AC signal is applied to the circuit through a source. The circuit contains a capacitor and an inductor, which together create a resonant frequency. By adjusting the impedance of the circuit, the amplitude of the signal can be modulated.

3. What are the advantages of using AC signal amplitude modulation in a resonant tank circuit?

AC signal amplitude modulation in a resonant tank circuit allows for precise control of the amplitude of an AC signal. This can be useful in applications such as radio communication, where a strong and clear signal is desired.

4. Are there any limitations to using AC signal amplitude modulation in a resonant tank circuit?

One limitation of this technique is that it requires a resonant frequency to be established in the circuit, which may limit the frequency range of the modulated signal. Additionally, the components in the circuit must be carefully selected and tuned to achieve the desired modulation.

5. How is AC signal amplitude modulation in a resonant tank circuit different from other modulation techniques?

AC signal amplitude modulation in a resonant tank circuit is a type of analog modulation, which means that the amplitude of the signal is continuously varied. This is in contrast to digital modulation techniques, where the signal is either on or off. Additionally, the resonant tank circuit allows for precise control of the amplitude, making it useful for applications that require a strong and clear signal.