AC Stark shift in a 3 level system

• I
  • Thread starter BillKet
  • Start date
BillKet
Hello! I want to make sure I got this right. Say we have a 3 level system ordered such that ##E_1<E_2<<E_3## with ##\omega_0 = E_2-E_1##. I use a laser to measure ##\omega_0## (e.g. I scan the laser frequency across the expected location of the resonance and fit that with a Voigt profile, we can ignore any systematic effects of the measurement). If I had just a 2 level system, the center of the peak would be exactly at ##\omega_0##. Now, let's say that the electric field can also couple ##E_2## and ##E_3## (but ##E_1## and ##E_3## can't be coupled in the electric dipole approximation). The formula for the AC Stark shift in this case is given by

$$E_{\mathrm{Stark}} = \frac{\Omega^2\omega}{2(\omega^2-\omega_0^2)}$$

where ##\Omega## is the Rabi frequency of the field between ##E_2## and ##E_3## and ##\omega = E_3-E_2##. In our limit this becomes:

$$E_{\mathrm{Stark}} = \frac{\Omega^2}{2\omega}$$
So the ##E_2## levels gets pushed down (towards the ##E_1##) by this amount. So the resonant frequency in this case will appear to be at:

$$\omega_0-\frac{\Omega^2}{2\omega}$$

Is this right (at least to first order in perturbation theory as the 2 pair of levels are treated independently)? Thank you!

What is the AC Stark shift in a 3 level system?

The AC Stark shift in a 3 level system is a phenomenon in which the energy levels of a three level atomic system are shifted due to the presence of an external electric field. This shift is caused by the interaction between the electric field and the electric dipole moment of the atoms.

How does the AC Stark shift affect the energy levels in a 3 level system?

The AC Stark shift causes a splitting of the energy levels in a 3 level system. The energy levels that are closer to the energy of the external electric field experience a larger shift, while the levels further away experience a smaller shift.

What factors can influence the magnitude of the AC Stark shift in a 3 level system?

The magnitude of the AC Stark shift is influenced by the strength of the external electric field, the electric dipole moment of the atoms, and the frequency of the external field. Additionally, the detuning of the external field from the atomic transition frequency can also affect the magnitude of the shift.

How is the AC Stark shift measured in a 3 level system?

The AC Stark shift can be measured using various techniques such as spectroscopy or Ramsey interferometry. These methods involve measuring the energy levels of the atomic system in the presence and absence of the external electric field and comparing the differences to determine the magnitude of the shift.

What are the applications of the AC Stark shift in a 3 level system?

The AC Stark shift has various applications in fields such as quantum computing, atomic clocks, and precision measurements. It can also be used to manipulate and control the energy levels of atoms, which is useful in areas such as laser cooling and trapping.