Adiabatic theorem for a 3 level system

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the adiabatic approximation in a 2 level and 3 level system with external perturbations. The approximation can be used when the energy splitting between levels is much larger than the perturbation frequency. In the case of a 3 level system, the perturbation can be ignored for the lower energy levels, but may miss some transitions between the levels.
Malamala
Hello! If I have a 2 level system, with the energy splitting between the 2 levels ##\omega_{12}## and an external perturbation characterized by a frequency ##\omega_P##, if ##\omega_{12}>>\omega_P## I can use the adiabatic approximation, and assume that the initial state of the system changes slowly in time while for ##\omega_{12}<<\omega_P## I can assume that the perturbation doesn't have any effect on the system (it averages out over the relevant time scales). I was wondering if I have a 3 level system with ##E_1<E_2<E_3## such that ##\omega_{12}<<\omega_P<<\omega_{23}##. In general, the Hamiltonian of the system would look like this:

$$
\begin{pmatrix}
E_1 & f_{12}(t) & f_{13}(t) \\
f_{12}^*(t) & E_2 & f_{23}(t) \\
f_{13}^*(t) & f_{23}^*(t) & E_3
\end{pmatrix}
$$

But using the intuition from the 2 level system case, can I ignore ##f_{12}(t)##, as the system of these 2 levels (1 and 2) moves on time scales much slower than ##\omega_P##, and assume that ##f_{23}(t)## and ##f_{13}(t)## move very slow and thus use the adiabatic approximation? In practice I would basically have:

$$
\begin{pmatrix}
E_1 & 0 & f_{13}(t) \\
0 & E_2 & f_{23}(t) \\
f_{13}^*(t) & f_{23}^*(t) & E_3
\end{pmatrix}
$$

Or in this case I would need to fully solve the SE, without being able to make any approximations? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like a reasonable approach to me. This might miss some processes transiting from 1 to 3 via 2, but this is all about making approximations.

1. What is the Adiabatic theorem for a 3 level system?

The Adiabatic theorem for a 3 level system is a principle in quantum mechanics that states that if a system is initially in an eigenstate of a time-dependent Hamiltonian, and the Hamiltonian changes slowly enough, the system will remain in an eigenstate of the new Hamiltonian.

2. How does the Adiabatic theorem apply to a 3 level system?

The Adiabatic theorem applies to a 3 level system by predicting that the system will remain in an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian as it changes over time, as long as the changes are slow enough. This is important in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and their transitions between energy levels.

3. What are the implications of the Adiabatic theorem for a 3 level system?

The implications of the Adiabatic theorem for a 3 level system are that the system will undergo adiabatic transitions between energy levels, meaning that the probability of the system being in a particular energy level will remain constant as the Hamiltonian changes slowly. This can be useful in controlling and manipulating quantum systems.

4. What are some examples of the Adiabatic theorem in a 3 level system?

One example of the Adiabatic theorem in a 3 level system is in nuclear magnetic resonance, where the magnetic field is changed slowly to induce transitions between energy levels. Another example is in quantum computing, where adiabatic processes are used to manipulate the quantum states of qubits.

5. How does the Adiabatic theorem for a 3 level system differ from the general Adiabatic theorem?

The Adiabatic theorem for a 3 level system is a special case of the general Adiabatic theorem, which applies to systems with any number of energy levels. The 3 level system is a simplified model that allows for easier analysis and understanding of the theorem's principles. However, the general Adiabatic theorem can also be applied to more complex systems, such as those with infinite energy levels.