Academic Appeal, you think they will give me another chance?

In summary, the speaker is writing an appeal for academic dismissal from their university due to a low GPA. They take responsibility for their actions and acknowledge that they made poor choices, such as skipping class and prioritizing their social life over academics. They also recognize the need for better time management and seeking help when struggling. The speaker is determined to do better and is willing to restart at a community college if necessary. They understand the importance of focusing on their education and not letting social life interfere. The conversation also includes advice from others to consider starting over at a community college.
gigantopithecus
I am .01 points away from the required gpa. Also if i have any grammatical and/or punctuation errors let me know!I am writing to appeal my academic dismissal from xxxxxxxx. I was upset to recently receive a letter informing me that I am subject to academic dismissal. I am ashamed to admit that my low GPA is a reflection of my effort during my spring 2016 semester, but I take full responsibility for my actions.

Being away from home for so long was a very new experience for me, and I greatly overestimated my freedom. I made terrible choices this past year, especially during my second semester; not going to class because I could sleep in, going to parties knowing that I had upcoming exams, and letting my social life take over my academic career. I even missed quizzes frequently, and rationalizing that it was “only one quiz.” I thought that I could miss class and look at lecture notes online, not knowing that I was missing out on valuable information. When I received my quiz or exam grades, I always said that I will do better next time but this was never the case. I was more irresponsible not seeking extra help when struggling in class. Looking back at my last semester, not only did I waste my time not meeting the required accumulative GPA, but I wasted my professor’s time as well. I am by no means proud of my actions and it is certainly not easy to admit. However, receiving notice of my dismissal was a huge wake up call for me.

I realized that I lost my focus this past semester and receiving notice of my dismissal was a big wake up-call for me. I had lost sight of my purpose of coming to this university in the first place, to earn my degree. I will now take the initiative, because no one is responsible for my education but me. Starting with attending and being punctual to class, this was a major issue this past semester. I will see tutors for the extra help that I need, and see professors during office hours when I struggle to grasp the material. I lacked time management last semester, all though college can indeed be fun; it is important to know when to stop. I will have a weekly schedule of activities while making sure my academics come first. I know succeed at xxxxxxxxx, and I am determined to become the scholar I know I can be.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my appeal. Please contact me by e-mail or phone if you have any questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might just be dismissed from your university, and could start over at a community college. Make-up the missing course credits there, and once you earn the needed qualifying credits, reapply to a university. Focus on learning, and study consistantly. Make sure your grades and courses go beyond what you have done while at the community college and that your transcripts show you accomplished what you need for admission to a university again. You now know that you must not let social life and poor academic behavior interfere with your academic efforts.

Likes CalcNerd
Given your OP, I would probably dismiss you. Nothing in there tells me that you're going to do better next time.

Symbolipoint is right. Dismissing you would be a good thing for you. You can go to community college and restart.

micromass said:
Given your OP, I would probably dismiss you. Nothing in there tells me that you're going to do better next time.

Symb... munity college and restart.

Success after restart depends on him. He knows better now what to do. He also knows what not to do.

1. What is an academic appeal?

An academic appeal is a formal request for reconsideration of a decision made by a college or university. This could include grade disputes, disciplinary actions, or financial aid decisions.

2. When should I submit an academic appeal?

You should only submit an academic appeal if you believe there was an error or extenuating circumstance that affected the initial decision. It is important to carefully review the institution's policies and procedures before submitting an appeal.

3. What is the process for submitting an academic appeal?

The process for submitting an academic appeal may vary depending on the institution. Typically, you will need to submit a written statement explaining your appeal and any supporting documentation. This will then be reviewed by a panel or committee.

4. How long does it take for an academic appeal to be reviewed?

The timeframe for an academic appeal to be reviewed can vary greatly. Some institutions may have a specific timeline in place for reviewing appeals, while others may take longer due to a high volume of appeals. It is important to follow up with the institution if you have not heard back within a reasonable amount of time.

5. What are the chances of my academic appeal being approved?

There is no way to predict the outcome of an academic appeal. However, if you have a valid reason for the appeal and provide strong supporting evidence, your chances of approval may increase. It is important to follow the institution's guidelines and present a well-written and convincing appeal.