Academics & Dyslexia: Tips & Advice for Higher Education

• Thread starter Luke c
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academics
In summary, the conversation is about Luke, a new forum member, expressing his desire to study at a top university, specifically in the field of physics. He shares his struggles with dyslexia and personal issues that affected his performance in school. He plans to redo his GCSEs and asks for advice on what to do while waiting and what qualifications he needs for a college degree. The response suggests that physics is not as difficult as it seems and that success depends on hard work and a strong passion for the subject. It is also recommended to focus on mastering the basics of math and to take advantage of accommodations for students with disabilities. Overall, the key to achieving his goals is determination and continuous practice.
Luke c
hey guys new to the forum so hi! Name is Luke from uk aged 25. Nice to meet you. Wondering if you would be kind enough to help me. i would love to one day study at a top university. I love science and history. Such a shame I have to choose but physics is where I enjoy the most. I didn't do great in school. I have dyslexia and I also had a lot of personal issues at the time. I would love another shot to prove a disability can't hold me back. I've signed up to redo my mathes, science and english at GCSE. Where would I go from there? A college degree? I Know physics is a ridiculously hard subject to learn but I am willing to give it my all. Is there any thing I can do while I wait for my GCSEs in sept and what other qualifications do I need? Any tips, advice would help so much. Books, tapes etc. courses. I know what I want to do but not where to start. Point me in right depiction please! Many thanks!

Likes MJlwa
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you're on the right track. I don't think physics is "a ridiculously hard subject to learn" unless you really have a problem with math. If you like science, physics is fun. Where you go after your current plan depends on how well you do. You might find out that math is easy for you now or you might find that it's hard. That will have a big impact on what you do after you find that out.

phinds said:
Sounds like you're on the right track. I don't think physics is "a ridiculously hard subject to learn" unless you really have a problem with math. If you like science, physics is fun. Where you go after your current plan depends on how well you do. You might find out that math is easy for you now or you might find that it's hard. That will have a big impact on what you do after you find that out.
Thanks for the reply! Well I can give it my all. If I am not smart enough at least I never quit :)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Universities (at least here in the US, and I'm sure in the UK as well) are, I believe, required to make accomodations during testing for students with disabilities. All you need to focus on is working hard and developing your passion for physics. If you took a calculus course in the past, then see if you can pick up from there. Even algebra will be important. Refresh your memory on algebra, trig, etc. Khan Academy can help (though there are better places to learn). The only thing "hard" about physics is that many people are used to subjects that they can just learn by memorizing facts. Physics uses math, which takes a lot of practice. Not necessarily innate intelligence, but a lot of practice.

It's like a former calculus teacher told us. If you're in history, and you didn't learn about the 1500s, you can still probably do well learning about the 1600s, but in math, if you don't know the things that come first, you won't get anywhere.

So make sure you're comfortable with the basics, and let the schooling take it from there.

Hi Luke, it's great to hear that you are interested in pursuing a higher education in science despite your dyslexia and past challenges. First of all, it's important to know that having a learning disability like dyslexia does not limit your potential for success in academics. With determination and the right support, you can achieve your goals.

To start, it's great that you have signed up to redo your GCSEs in math, science, and English. This will provide a strong foundation for your future studies. While waiting for your GCSEs, you can look into taking online courses or attending workshops related to physics or other science subjects that interest you. This will help you gain a better understanding of the subject and prepare you for college-level courses.

In terms of qualifications, most universities require students to have A-levels or equivalent qualifications for admission to a science program. So after your GCSEs, you can consider pursuing A-levels in subjects like physics, math, and chemistry. Alternatively, you can also look into vocational courses in science-related fields that may lead to a degree program.

It's also important to seek out support and accommodations for your dyslexia. Universities and colleges have resources and services for students with learning disabilities, such as extra time for exams, note-taking assistance, and access to assistive technology. Make sure to reach out to the disability services office at the university you are interested in to learn more about the support they offer.

In terms of tips and advice, it's important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. This will help you balance your studies and any other commitments you may have. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Seek out support from your professors, peers, and university resources.

Lastly, don't let your dyslexia hold you back from pursuing your passions and goals. With hard work, determination, and support, you can achieve your dream of studying at a top university and pursuing a career in science. Best of luck to you!

1. How can I support a college student with dyslexia?

The first step in supporting a college student with dyslexia is to understand their individual needs and learning style. Meet with the student and their academic advisor to discuss specific accommodations, such as extended time for exams or assistive technology. Additionally, encourage the student to utilize resources such as tutoring, study groups, and academic coaching.

2. Are there specific strategies that can help a dyslexic student succeed in higher education?

Yes, there are many strategies that can help a dyslexic student succeed in higher education. Some examples include breaking down assignments into smaller tasks, using color-coded notes and study materials, and utilizing assistive technology such as text-to-speech software. It is important to work with the student to find the strategies that work best for them.

3. Can a dyslexic student receive accommodations in college?

Yes, under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), colleges are required to provide reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities, including dyslexia. These accommodations may include extended time for exams, note-taking assistance, and alternative format materials. It is important for the student to register with the disability services office and provide documentation of their dyslexia.

4. How can I help a dyslexic student feel more confident in their academic abilities?

One way to help a dyslexic student feel more confident is to focus on their strengths and encourage them to use those strengths in their academic work. Additionally, provide positive reinforcement and support, and remind the student that dyslexia does not define them or their intelligence. Encourage the student to seek out academic resources and support, and to communicate openly with their professors about their needs.

5. Are there any successful dyslexic individuals in higher education?

Yes, there are many successful dyslexic individuals in higher education, including professors, researchers, and professionals in various fields. Some well-known examples include scientist and inventor Thomas Edison, entrepreneur Richard Branson, and author John Irving. It is important to highlight and celebrate the achievements of dyslexic individuals to combat any negative stereotypes or misconceptions about dyslexia.