Accelerating a space ship to light speeds

In summary, the conversation discusses the feasibility of using a rocket engine to accelerate a spaceship to relativistic speeds, with the exhaust speed being close to the speed of light. The total energy and momentum of an object of rest mass m and velocity v are expressed in terms of m, v, c, and the relativistic factor gamma_v. Using the principle of conservation of energy, it is shown that the change in mass (dm) of the spaceship is equal to the negative of the relativistic factor gamma_v times the change in rest mass of the fuel (dm_f). This also explains why the magnitude of dm is greater than dm_f. An expression for the change in velocity (dv) of the spaceship is also found using conservation of momentum
TheIsingGuy

Homework Statement

This question basically tries to investigate the feasibility of using a rocket engine to acclerate a spaceship to relativistic speeds, as with any rocket engine fule is ejected at high velocity and spaceship accelerates to conserve momentum. only that in this situation, the exhuast speed Vex is close to the speed of light

i) Express total energy and momentum of an object of rest mass m and velocity v in terms of m,v,c and [tex]\gamma_{v}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]P_{T}=\gamma_{V_{ex}}mv[/tex]

[tex]E_{T}=\sqrt{(mc^{2})^{2}+p^{2}c^{2}}[/tex]

so [tex]E_{T}=\sqrt{(mc^{2})^{2}+(\gamma_{V_{ex}}mv)^{2}c^{2}}[/tex]

Homework Statement

Consider the inertial frame of reference in which the spaceship is instantaneously at rest at time t. During the intercal from t to t+dt, an amount of fuel of rest mass [tex]dm_{f}[/tex] is ejected in the -x direction at the exhuast speed [tex]v_{ex}[/tex] and the spaceship accelerates from rest to velocity dv. The mass of the space hsip reduces from m to m+dm, where dm is negative. Since the spaceship starts from rest, its final speed dv is not relativistic in this frame.

Now here is where things gets problematic

i) Bearing in mind that the exhaust speed is relativistic, use the principle of conservation of energy to show that [tex]dm=-\gamma_{v_{ex}}dm_{f}[/tex]. Explain why is |dm|greater than [tex]|dm_{f}|[/tex].

ii) find an expression for dv using conservation of momentum.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just could not figure out how to do these 2 parts, now I know that if the total energy when the ship is at rest is equal to the rest energy, then that value should be conserved, and so the total energy when the ship is moving should also equal to that value, just that there would be two opposite KEs cancelling each other out am I right in saying this?

Any help is appreciated Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if anyone replies under 2 hours

This question has been solved. If you want to know how i did it, pm me thnx

Related to Accelerating a space ship to light speeds

1. How fast is the speed of light and why is it considered the ultimate speed limit?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It is considered the ultimate speed limit because according to Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, it would require infinite energy to accelerate an object with mass to the speed of light. This is due to the increase in an object's mass as it approaches the speed of light, making it more and more difficult to accelerate.

2. Can a space ship actually reach the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to reach the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it physically impossible to accelerate to that speed.

3. What are the potential methods for accelerating a space ship to light speeds?

One potential method is using a powerful energy source, such as a nuclear reactor, to continuously propel the spacecraft. Another method is using powerful laser beams to push the spacecraft forward. Additionally, some scientists are exploring the concept of using antimatter as a fuel source for space travel.

4. What are the potential challenges of accelerating a space ship to light speeds?

The main challenge is overcoming the immense amount of energy required to accelerate an object to the speed of light. Additionally, there are potential safety concerns for the crew on board, as traveling at such high speeds could have harmful effects on the human body. There are also technical challenges, such as finding materials that can withstand the extreme speeds and temperatures involved in light speed travel.

5. Are there any current spacecrafts that can travel at light speeds?

No, currently there are no spacecrafts that can reach the speed of light. The fastest spacecraft to date is NASA's Juno spacecraft, which travels at speeds of about 165,000 miles per hour. However, scientists and engineers continue to explore and develop technologies that may one day allow for spacecrafts to travel at much higher speeds.