Rocket subject to linear resistive force -- two methods

In summary, Equation (3.29) states that the speed of a rocket subject to a linear resistive force, $f = -bv$, is given by: $v = \frac{k}{b}v_{ex}[1-\left(\frac{m}{m_{o}}\right)^{b/k}\right]$. If the rocket starts from rest and ejects mass at a constant rate, $k = -\dot{m}$, then its speed is given by: $v = \frac{k}{b}v_{ex}[1-\left(\frac{m}{m_{o}}\right)^{k/b}\right]$.
TaylorLL

Homework Statement

Consider a rocket subject to a linear resistive force, $$f = -bv$$, but no other external forces. Use Equation (3.29) in Problem 3.11 to show that if the rocket starts from rest and ejects mass at a constant rate $$k = -\dot{m}$$, then its speed is given by:
$$v = \frac{k}{b}v_{ex}\left[1-\left(\frac{m}{m_{o}}\right)^{b/k}\right]$$

Homework Equations

Equation (3.29) $$m\dot{v} = -\dot{m}v_{ex} + F^{ext}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I had no issues solving this equation when I used the chain rule and took time out of the equation. Basically, since $$\dot{m} = -k$$, we can plug that into equation 3.29, and then we can find through chain rule that $$\dot{v} = \frac{dv}{dm}\frac{dm}{dt} = -k\frac{dv}{dm}$$. This leads to the expected answer. However, it should also work by finding an equation for mass as a function of time and integrating with respect to time. This is where I'm having issues.

$$m(t) = m_{o} - kt$$
$$\left(m_{o}-kt\right)\frac{dv}{dt} = kv_{ex} - bv$$
$$\int_{0}^{t}\frac{dt'}{m_{o}-kt'} = \int_{0}^{v}\frac{dv'}{kv_{ex} - bv'}$$

When I go through this integral, I almost get the solution with the exception of a flipped exponential term.

$$v = \frac{k}{b}v_{ex}\left[1-\left(\frac{m}{m_{o}}\right)^{k/b}\right]$$

I would appreciate any help, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
TaylorLL said:
$$\int_{0}^{t}\frac{dt'}{m_{o}-kt'} = \int_{0}^{v}\frac{dv'}{kv_{ex} - bv'}$$
When I go through this integral, I almost get the solution with the exception of a flipped exponential term.
I don't end up with the exponent flipped. If you want to show your steps of integration, we can check it.

TSny said:
I don't end up with the exponent flipped. If you want to show your steps of integration, we can check it.
Okay, so here's my integration:
$$\int_{0}^{t} \frac{dt'}{m_{o} - kt'} = \int_{0}^{v}\frac{dv'}{kv_{ex}-bv'}$$
$$-kln\left(m_{o} - kt'\right)|_{0}^{t} = -bln\left(kv_{ex}-bv'\right)|_{0}^{v}$$
$$-kln\left(\frac{m}{m_{o}}\right) = -bln\left(1 - \frac{bv}{kv_{ex}}\right)$$
$$\frac{k}{b}ln\left(\frac{m}{m_{o}}\right) = ln\left(1 - \frac{bv}{kv_{ex}}\right)$$
$$ln\left(\frac{m}{m_{o}}\right)^{k/b} = ln\left(1 - \frac{bv}{kv_{ex}}\right)$$
$$\left(\frac{m}{m_{o}}\right)^{k/b} = 1 - \frac{bv}{kv_{ex}}$$
$$v = \frac{kv_{ex}}{b}\left[1 - \left(\frac{m}{m_{o}}\right)^{k/b}\right]$$

As you can see, I end up with an exponential term of $$k/b$$ rather than $$b/k$$

TaylorLL said:
Okay, so here's my integration:
$$\int_{0}^{t} \frac{dt'}{m_{o} - kt'} = \int_{0}^{v}\frac{dv'}{kv_{ex}-bv'}$$
$$-kln\left(m_{o} - kt'\right)|_{0}^{t} = -bln\left(kv_{ex}-bv'\right)|_{0}^{v}$$
$$-kln\left(\frac{m}{m_{o}}\right) = -bln\left(1 - \frac{bv}{kv_{ex}}\right)$$
$$\frac{k}{b}ln\left(\frac{m}{m_{o}}\right) = ln\left(1 - \frac{bv}{kv_{ex}}\right)$$
$$ln\left(\frac{m}{m_{o}}\right)^{k/b} = ln\left(1 - \frac{bv}{kv_{ex}}\right)$$
$$\left(\frac{m}{m_{o}}\right)^{k/b} = 1 - \frac{bv}{kv_{ex}}$$
$$v = \frac{kv_{ex}}{b}\left[1 - \left(\frac{m}{m_{o}}\right)^{k/b}\right]$$

As you can see, I end up with an exponential term of $$k/b$$ rather than $$b/k$$
WAIT, wow, that was a stupid integration mistake.
This
should have been
$$-\frac{1}{k}ln\left(m_{o} - kt'\right)|_{0}^{t} = -\frac{1}{b}ln\left(kv_{ex}-bv'\right)|_{0}^{v}$$

TaylorLL said:
This
should have been
$$-\frac{1}{k}ln\left(m_{o} - kt'\right)|_{0}^{t} = -\frac{1}{b}ln\left(kv_{ex}-bv'\right)|_{0}^{v}$$
Yes. That should fix it.

1. What is a linear resistive force?

A linear resistive force is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and increases proportionally with the object's velocity. It is often caused by air resistance or friction.

2. How does a linear resistive force affect a rocket?

A linear resistive force can slow down a rocket's acceleration or even cause it to decelerate, depending on the magnitude of the force. This can impact the rocket's trajectory and speed, and ultimately its ability to reach its intended destination.

3. What are the two methods used to analyze a rocket subject to linear resistive force?

The two methods are analytical and numerical. In analytical methods, equations and mathematical models are used to predict the rocket's behavior. In numerical methods, computer simulations and calculations are used to analyze the rocket's motion.

4. How do these two methods differ?

Analytical methods provide precise and exact solutions, but they are limited to simple and idealized scenarios. Numerical methods can handle more complex and realistic scenarios, but the results may not be as precise.

5. Which method is better for analyzing rockets subject to linear resistive force?

It depends on the specific situation and the level of accuracy required. In general, analytical methods are preferred for simple and idealized scenarios, while numerical methods are better for more complex and realistic scenarios.