Acceleration and Dark Energy Clarification

In summary: This is what is meant by "speed increases proportionally".However, dark energy is not necessary for this model. Instead, dark energy is introduced as a way to explain why the expansion rate has not slowed down more than it has. In other words, dark energy helps to explain why the universe is expanding at an accelerated rate, rather than just a constant rate.In summary, dark energy is not necessary for understanding the basic concept of the universe's expansion. The overall expansion rate has been declining, but in recent history it has been declining slowly enough for galaxies to move away from each other at an accelerated rate. Dark energy is introduced to explain why the expansion rate has not slowed down even more.
something111
Hi everyone.
I am having a few issues completely comprehending dark energy and the expansion of the universe, and I need some clarification on certain aspects of it.

Alright, so I believe that my issue lies within what really acceleration is.
I am aware than as an object's distance is increased from us, its speed increases proportionally.
However I've been told that the absolute total expansion rate of the universe has been declining ever since the big bang.
Using this model, I don't see where dark energy is necessary at all.
For the first matter, the reason why an objects recession velocity is increased proportional to distance is because there being more space in between the two objects, and therefore more space to expand.
For the second matter, the total rate is declining so I see no need for acceleration.
I know that I'm missing something and in no way am I purposing that the scientists today are wrong, I would just like to know what is wrong my my above reasoning.
Thanks in advance for the help; I'm a layman so please stick to light mathematical descriptions if that's possible! :)

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Yes, the overall expansion rate has been declining. However, in the last few billion years it has been declining slow enough that galaxies are now moving away from one another at an accelerated rate.

To see how this can occur, consider what would happen if the expansion rate is constant. The recession velocity of a far-away galaxy is given by [itex]v = Hd[/itex], where [itex]H[/itex] is the expansion rate and [itex]d[/itex] is the distance. If the expansion rate is a constant, then as the galaxy gets further away (as [itex]d[/itex] increases), the recession velocity also increases.

1. What is acceleration and dark energy?

Acceleration refers to the change in velocity of an object over time. In the context of the universe, it refers to the expansion of the universe getting faster over time. Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to be responsible for this acceleration.

2. How do we know that the universe is accelerating?

Scientists have observed the redshift of light from distant galaxies, which indicates that they are moving away from us at an increasing rate. This is evidence of the accelerating expansion of the universe.

3. What is the difference between dark energy and dark matter?

Dark energy and dark matter are two different phenomena. While dark energy is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe, dark matter is a form of matter that does not emit or absorb light and is thought to make up a significant portion of the universe's mass.

4. How does dark energy affect the future of the universe?

If the current observations and theories about dark energy are correct, it is thought that the universe will continue to expand at an accelerating rate, eventually leading to a "big rip" scenario in which all matter in the universe will be torn apart.

5. Is dark energy a confirmed concept or just a theory?

Dark energy is still a theoretical concept, as it has not been directly observed or measured. However, based on current observations and models, it is the leading explanation for the accelerating expansion of the universe.