Acceleration down an inclined plane

In summary, a student conducted a physics experiment involving motion on an inclined plane and found that the acceleration was proportional to the mass, which is contrary to the theoretical prediction of an inverse relationship. The experiment involved varying the mass of a margarine container by adding brass weights and measuring the acceleration. The student believes this is due to the formula F=ma and the net force of the block down the inclined plane, which is affected by the angle and friction coefficient.
Worfie
User informed about mandatory use of template in homework forums.
Hello,

After collecting data for the classic physics experiment - motion down an inclined plane, I assembled my graph, and found something startling; in my graph, acceleration is proportional to mass (use the attached file for reference).

Theoretically, my graph should resemble the inverse, by a ∝ 1/m.

Can anyone explain possible reasons for this?

The experiment was running a margarine container down a wooden slope, varying the mass of the margarine container by adding brass weights each time.

Attachments

• Mass versus acceleration.png
    Mass versus acceleration.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 551
Physics news on Phys.org
Worfie said:
Theoretically, my graph should resemble the inverse, by a ∝ 1/m.

What makes you think so?

F=ma, therefore a=F/m, which implies as the mass increases, acceleration decreases.

What is F in your case?

F=mg(sinθ-cosθ)

where θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

This is the net force of the block down the plane.

And inserting this into your expression for the acceleration gives?

Edit: you are also missing a friction coefficient...

Related to Acceleration down an inclined plane

1. What is acceleration down an inclined plane?

Acceleration down an inclined plane refers to the rate at which an object speeds up as it moves down a sloped surface.

2. How is acceleration down an inclined plane calculated?

The acceleration down an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula a = gsin(θ), where "a" is the acceleration, "g" is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and "θ" is the angle of the incline.

3. What factors affect acceleration down an inclined plane?

The acceleration down an inclined plane is affected by the angle of the incline, the mass of the object, and the force of friction acting on the object.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect acceleration down an inclined plane?

The steeper the angle of the incline, the greater the acceleration down the plane will be. This is because the force of gravity acting on the object is directed more parallel to the surface, resulting in a larger component of force pushing the object down the incline.

5. How does friction affect acceleration down an inclined plane?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, so it will slow down the acceleration of an object down an inclined plane. The rougher the surface of the incline, the more friction there will be, resulting in a slower acceleration down the plane.