Acceleration of a cart immediately after the system is released

In summary: Let the cart's acceleration be a to the left, while suspended mass has accelerations b to the right (in the lab frame) and c down.What equations can you write relating these to the tension?There are three equations, one for each component of the force: mg, Tcosθ, and T.
randomgamernerd

Homework Statement

:
A block B of mass m is suspended from a cord of length l attached to cart A of mass M as shown in the figure. The horizontal surface on which the cart moves is smooth. Initially the cart and the block are at rest in the position shown. Now the block is released. Take M=2kg, θ=45⁰ and g=10m/s².
Acceleration of the cart immediately after the system is released from rest and tension in the cord developed immediately is?

Homework Equations

: [/B]Balancing components of forces.

The Attempt at a Solution

; [/B]
so as soon as the system is released from rest, tension in the chord acts, and I think that is because of mgCosθ . So tension should be 20cos45⁰ which is not the answer.
For horizontal acceleration of cart, I’m confused. I believe tension force gives the horizontal component of force which is responsible for accelertion of the cart. But since no external force is acting on the system, then centre of mass should not move, which means it will have acceleration in opposite direction of acceleration of block B. After this i don't know what to do.
Sorry for poor quality of the image.
IMG_20180512_185837.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180512_185837.jpg
    IMG_20180512_185837.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,492
Physics news on Phys.org
randomgamernerd said:

Homework Statement

:
A block B of mass m is suspended from a cord of length l attached to cart A of mass M as shown in the figure. The horizontal surface on which the cart moves is smooth. Initially the cart and the block are at rest in the position shown. Now the block is released. Take M=2kg, θ=45⁰ and g=10m/s².
Acceleration of the cart immediately after the system is released from rest and tension in the cord developed immediately is?

Homework Equations

: [/B]Balancing components of forces.

The Attempt at a Solution

; [/B]
so as soon as the system is released from rest, tension in the chord acts, and I think that is because of mgCosθ . So tension should be 20cos45⁰ which is not the answer.
For horizontal acceleration of cart, I’m confused. I believe tension force gives the horizontal component of force which is responsible for accelertion of the cart. But since no external force is acting on the system, then centre of mass should not move, which means it will have acceleration in opposite direction of acceleration of block B. After this i don't know what to do.
Sorry for poor quality of the image.View attachment 225607
The center of mass should not accelerate in the opposite direction from the block. If it is not moving, it will not accelerate at all.
Given your expression for the tension on the chord, what is the horizontal component of the force? What acceleration does it cause for the block?
How does this compare with the horizontal acceleration of the pendulum mass? What is the effect on the center of mass?

randomgamernerd said:
So tension should be 20cos45⁰
If that were the case, what would be the vertical acceleration of block B?

haruspex said:
If that were the case, what would be the vertical acceleration of block B?

That is the reason I’m confused. Vertical acceleration of block B is g? or is there some centripetal force acting whose vertical component gets added up?

tnich said:
The center of mass should not accelerate in the opposite direction from the block. If it is not moving, it will not accelerate at all.
Given your expression for the tension on the chord, what is the horizontal component of the force? What acceleration does it cause for the block?
How does this compare with the horizontal acceleration of the pendulum mass? What is the effect on the center of mass?

By “it” i meant the cart, not the centre of mass. Can you please rephrase your question a bit?[emoji28]

randomgamernerd said:
By “it” i meant the cart, not the centre of mass. Can you please rephrase your question a bit?[emoji28]
OK. What is the horizontal component of the tension on the cord?

tnich said:
OK. What is the horizontal component of the tension on the cord?

mgCosθSinθ?
Image1526177851.902224.jpg

Sorry for my poor handwriting.
But I think according to the FBD i have sketched, Tcosθ=mg. and not T=mgCosθ

Attachments

• Image1526177851.902224.jpg
    Image1526177851.902224.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,121
randomgamernerd said:
mgCosθSinθ?View attachment 225641
Sorry for my poor handwriting.
No, you were right the first time, and you are correct on the horizontal component of the tension. So what is the acceleration of the block?

tnich said:
No, you were right the first time, and you are correct on the horizontal component of the tension. So what is the acceleration of the block?

mgCosθSinθ/M=10/2=5m/s² but that is not the answer, the answer given is 10/3

randomgamernerd said:
Neither. T=mgCosθ would be correct if the cart were fixed, but the cart's acceleration reduces the tension.

Let the cart's acceleration be a to the left, while suspended mass has accelerations b to the right (in the lab frame) and c down.
What equations can you write relating these to the tension?
What equation in these expresses the fact that the string has constant length?

haruspex said:
Neither. T=mgCosθ would be correct if the cart were fixed, but the cart's acceleration reduces the tension.

Let the cart's acceleration be a to the left, while suspended mass has accelerations b to the right (in the lab frame) and c down.
What equations can you write relating these to the tension?
What equation in these expresses the fact that the string has constant length?
i guess mc=mg-TCosθ
mb=Tsinθ
since centre of mass should not accelerate, i guess a=b

randomgamernerd said:
i guess mc=mg-TCosθ
mb=Tsinθ
since centre of mass should not accelerate, i guess a=b
Right. What about my last question in post #10?

haruspex said:
Right. What about my last question in post #10?

By “string has constant length” do you mean the string remains taut and does not get slack at any point of time or do you mean it is unstretchable?
Can you give a little more hint?

randomgamernerd said:
By “string has constant length” do you mean the string remains taut and does not get slack at any point of time or do you mean it is unstretchable?
Both.
randomgamernerd said:
Can you give a little more hint?
If two accelerating objects stay a constant distance apart, what can you say about their accelerations in a certain direction?

haruspex said:
Both.

If two accelerating objects stay a constant distance apart, what can you say about their accelerations in a certain direction?

They have equal component of acceleration in that direction? Equal in magnitude. not sure of the sign. should have same sign as well. if they stay at constant distance apart, then relative acceleration should be zero in the direction tangential to the string ? But which of the three equations I wrote is expressed here? a=b ? but then relative acceleration of the block and the cart will not be zero[emoji27]

randomgamernerd said:
relative acceleration should be zero in the direction tangential to the string ?
Right.
First, find the relative acceleration of the two masses as horizontal and vertical components.

What is the definition of acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How is acceleration related to the release of a cart?

When a cart is released, it will experience a change in velocity, which results in acceleration. This acceleration is caused by the force of gravity acting on the cart and its initial velocity of zero.

What factors affect the acceleration of a cart after release?

The acceleration of a cart after release is affected by the mass of the cart, the force of gravity, and any other external forces acting on the cart, such as friction or air resistance.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes for the change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

Is the acceleration of a cart constant after release?

In an ideal scenario with no external forces, the acceleration of a cart after release will remain constant. However, in real-world situations, factors such as friction and air resistance may cause the acceleration to vary over time.