Tension from two carts & hanging object on pulley

In summary, the conversation discusses which string, A or B, has more tension when a 50g object accelerates down and both carts move left, with a frictionless and massless pulley and string. The equation F=ma is used to determine that string A has more tension because it is responsible for accelerating both carts, while string B is only responsible for one. The net force on object 2 is also found to be equal to that of object 1, leading to the conclusion that the tensions in both strings are the same.
Huski

Homework Statement

Hi. My problem (from my picture) is which string (A or B) has more tension when the 50g object accelerates down and both carts move left. The pulley and string can be considered massless and frictionless.

Homework Equations

Fnet = m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

My thinking is string B has more tension than string A once they're accelerating left. I think this the reason because according to Newton's 2nd Law, F=ma, the string in between the carts has more force since the objects between it (carts 1 & 2) have a bigger mass than the what the two objects string A is in between (hanging mass and cart 1).

Attachments

• file.jpeg
    file.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 922
  • file (2).jpeg
    file (2).jpeg
    15.9 KB · Views: 779
Physics news on Phys.org
Huski said:

Homework Statement

Hi. My problem (from my picture) is which string (A or B) has more tension when the 50g object accelerates down and both carts move left. The pulley and string can be considered massless and frictionless.

Homework Equations

Fnet = m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

My thinking is string B has more tension than string A once they're accelerating left. I think this the reason because according to Newton's 2nd Law, F=ma, the string in between the carts has more force since the objects between it (carts 1 & 2) have a bigger mass than the what the two objects string A is in between (hanging mass and cart 1).
F=ma relates the net force acting on an object, the mass of the object, and the resulting acceleration of the object.
What is the net force on B? What is the net force on A?

Likes Huski
There are no numerical values if that's what you're wondering. I believe the net force on object 2 is greater than object 1.

Huski said:
There are no numerical values
You don't need them. Let the tensions in the strings be T1 and T2, the masses be m and the acceleration a. Write the ΣF=ma equation for each cart.
Huski said:
I believe the net force on object 2 is greater than object 1.
But they have the same masses and acceleration, so how can that be?

Likes Huski
haruspex said:
But they have the same masses and acceleration, so how can that be?

Ok, so looking at my FBD, tension T2 on cart 1 wants to pull right while T2 on cart 2 wants to pull left. The tension for T1 shows that it's pulling left and the hanging mass has T1 point up, but pointing up shouldn't effect anything because the pulley is frictionless. So maybe then the tensions are the same for both strings if this is the case?

No forget what I said, if the object accelerates left, the tension has to be stronger in string A.

Huski said:
No forget what I said, if the object accelerates left, the tension has to be stronger in string A.
Yes. That string has to have enough tension to accelerate both carts, whereas string B is only accelerating one.

Likes Huski
That makes sense. Thank you!

What is tension?

Tension is a pulling force that is exerted by a string, rope, or cable when it is attached to an object at both ends and is being pulled in opposite directions.

How is tension related to two carts and a hanging object on a pulley?

In the case of two carts connected by a string and a hanging object attached to a pulley, the tension in the string is the same for both carts and the hanging object. This is because the string is inelastic and cannot stretch or compress, causing the tension to remain constant throughout the system.

What factors affect the tension in this system?

The tension in this system is affected by the mass of the hanging object, the mass of the carts, and the angle of the string with respect to the ground. As these factors change, the tension in the string will also change.

How can the tension in the string be calculated?

The tension in the string can be calculated using Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. In this case, the net force is the tension in the string, and the acceleration is the acceleration of the hanging object and the carts.

What happens to the tension if one of the carts or the hanging object is removed?

If one of the carts or the hanging object is removed from the system, the tension in the string will decrease, as there is now less mass to accelerate. However, if the mass of the remaining objects is kept constant, the tension will remain the same.