Acceleration of a Falling Bowling Ball: Effects of Rope Cutting

In summary, the tension in the rope is 9.8*10^-5N and the ball's acceleration immediately after the rope is cut is -2.9*10^-5 m/s^2.
Poetria

Homework Statement

You suspend a bowling ball of mass m using a spring and a rope. The spring is horizontal and has spring constant k; the rope makes an angle θ with the vertical.

Answer all parts in terms of m, g, k, and θ.

a) What is the tension T in the rope?

b) Your arch nemesis cuts the rope. What is the acceleration of the ball immediately after the rope is cut?

Homework Equations

Tension: (m*g)/cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I answered a without a problem but I have no idea what to do with b. I tried to use the vertical force when a system is in equilibrium but it doesn't work. Combinations : g*sin(theta), g*cos(theta) don't work either. I guess it is probably simple but I am at my wits' end.
The stretched distance is not given I am wondering what k is for. I could recover x by Hooke's law when the string is in a vertical position: x=-mg/k

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a force vector diagram and show your work, then we can see how to guide you along.

Before the rope is cut, the system is in equilibrium. Cutting the rope removes that force. How does that affect the sum of forces? Do any other forces change immediately?

(Out of interest, do you know whether you got part a) correct? If not, would you mind posting your answer?)

Thank you very much. I will draw it and post it here. I guess I have a problem with directions.
I thought I could use the formula from a somehow.

Bowling ball on a rope.png

I understand this is a spring and can be stretched. It is also a kind of a pendulum isn't it?

By the way I have started to learn things like that in order to understand Newton's Principia and the eighteenth-century discussions about mechanics and metaphysics (e.g. the vis viva controversy.)

Poetria said:
I thought I could use the formula from a somehow.
You can. Just try to answer my questions in post #3.

From your free body diagram in post #5, what is the horizontal force exerted by the spring on the mass before the rope is cut? Does this force change instantly as soon as the rope is cut, or is initially still the same?

Chet

I thought this horizonal force had been initially the same. So I used the formula for the tension force.
I got:

sin(theta)*T=(sin(theta)*(m*g))/cos(theta)=tan(theta)*m*g

Of course to solve it for acceleration I divided it by the mass

a(x)=tan(theta)*g

Well, it is still wrong. :(

Poetria said:
I thought this horizonal force had been initially the same. So I used the formula for the tension force.
I got:

sin(theta)*T=(sin(theta)*(m*g))/cos(theta)=tan(theta)*m*g

Of course to solve it for acceleration I divided it by the mass

a(x)=tan(theta)*g

Well, it is still wrong. :(
That's the correct horizontal component of the acceleration. What is the vertical component of the acceleration? From these findings, what is the resultant of the horizontal and vertical components of acceleration?

Chet

I got it. :) I messed up signs. :) Many thanks. :) :) :)
Bowling ball on a rope2.png

Related to Acceleration of a Falling Bowling Ball: Effects of Rope Cutting

1. What is the purpose of a rope and a spring system?

The purpose of a rope and a spring system is to provide a mechanism for storing and releasing potential energy. The rope acts as a flexible, elongated object that can be stretched and recoiled, while the spring provides a force that opposes the stretching of the rope. Together, they create a system that can store and release energy in a controlled manner.

2. How does a rope and a spring system work?

A rope and a spring system works by utilizing the principle of potential energy. When the rope is stretched, it stores potential energy in the form of elastic potential energy. The spring, which is attached to one end of the rope, provides a force that opposes the stretching of the rope. This force increases as the rope is stretched, until it reaches a maximum and the rope begins to recoil. As the rope recoils, it releases the stored potential energy in the form of kinetic energy.

3. What are the applications of a rope and a spring system?

A rope and a spring system has a wide range of applications. Some common examples include bungee jumping, trampolines, and shock absorbers in vehicles. These systems are also used in various types of machinery, such as cranes and elevators, to lift and lower objects in a controlled manner.

4. How is the behavior of a rope and a spring system affected by different factors?

The behavior of a rope and a spring system is affected by several factors, including the stiffness of the rope and the spring, the amount of weight or force applied, and the length of the rope. These factors can impact the amount of potential energy stored and the force required to stretch the rope, ultimately affecting the overall behavior of the system.

5. What are the advantages of using a rope and a spring system?

There are several advantages to using a rope and a spring system. One of the main advantages is that it allows for the controlled storage and release of energy, making it useful in a variety of applications. Additionally, these systems are relatively simple and cost-effective, making them a popular choice for many industries. They also have a high weight-to-strength ratio, meaning they can support heavy loads while remaining lightweight and flexible.