Acceleration of a mass down a decline (tricky)

In summary, the question requires finding the tension in the rope to make a mass of 100kg, moving up an inclined plane at a velocity of 2m/s, reverse direction in exactly 1 second. Using the equation ma = mgsin(theta) - T - Fk(theta), where a = 2m/s^2, the correct tension is 387N. The equation takes into account the forces of friction and weight acting in the same direction and the acceleration of the mass.
saltyload
The plane is inclined at a 30 degree angle. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the mass and the plane is 0.1. The mass is 100kg. If the mass is moving up the inclined plane at a velocity of 2m/s, what tension should be applied to the rope in order to make the mass reverse directions in exactly 1 sec?

mgsin(theta)
mgcos(theta)
Fk = coefficient x mgcos(theta)
V = Vi + at

V = Vi + at a = 4m/s^2
Equation I used to solve:
ma = mgsin(theta) - T - Fk(theta)

My answer was 187N, actual answer is 387N. No idea how I can manipulate the equation to get 200N more.

Physics news on Phys.org
can you provide a diagram to make it clear?

supratim1 said:
can you provide a diagram to make it clear?

ramp.jpg

Found this on google. The diagram in the book is identical, just ignore the hanging mass. I need to find the tension in the rope.

First, to make it reverse direction, required retardation, along the inclined plane is 2
0.1 mg cos30 +mg sin30 - T = 2m

Seems the key here is "make the mass reverse directions" , it just means "make the mass to have 0 velocity in 1 sec" but not "make the mass to have -2 in 1 sec"

I believe your acceleration is wrong. It should be 2 m/s2 and in the direction opposite it initial velocity. The velocity has to go from 2 m/s to 0 m/sin a time of 1 s.

lswtech said:
First, to make it reverse direction, required retardation, along the inclined plane is 2
0.1 mg cos30 +mg sin30 - T = 2m

Seems the key here is "make the mass reverse directions" , it just means "make the mass to have 0 velocity in 1 sec" but not "make the mass to have -2 in 1 sec"

what is 2m?

edit:
I got the 387N by using your equation, but changed the positions of T and 2m. Can you explain the logic behind your equation. I sort of get it, but I need some clarification.

I understand the force of friction and the downward force of the mass are added because they act in the same direction. And T is in the opposite direction, but how do you explain the 2m?

Last edited:
The question stated " make the mass reverse directions in exactly 1 sec" and I thought the retardation should be 2ms^-2 but not 4.

and the 2m means m*a and putting a = 2

Since the direction of retardation is pointing towards the ground, and the Net force in this direction is Friction + Weight component - Tension and the Net acceleration is 2

lswtech said:
The question stated " make the mass reverse directions in exactly 1 sec" and I thought the retardation should be 2ms^-2 but not 4.

and the 2m means m*a and putting a = 2

Since the direction of retardation is pointing towards the ground, and the Net force in this direction is Friction + Weight component - Tension and the Net acceleration is 2

So is the acceleration (ma) in the same direction of the Tension?

No. Reverse

(Weight pulls down the block and it is the origin of the acceleration downward)

Related to Acceleration of a mass down a decline (tricky)

1. What is the equation for calculating acceleration on a decline?

The equation for calculating acceleration on a decline is a = g*sinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the decline.

2. How does the mass of an object affect its acceleration on a decline?

The mass of an object does not affect its acceleration on a decline. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Since the force of gravity is constant, the mass of an object does not affect its acceleration on a decline.

3. Can the acceleration of an object on a decline ever be greater than the acceleration due to gravity?

Yes, the acceleration of an object on a decline can be greater than the acceleration due to gravity. This can happen if an external force, such as a pushing or pulling force, is acting on the object in addition to the force of gravity.

4. How does the angle of the decline affect the acceleration of an object?

The angle of the decline affects the acceleration of an object by changing the component of the force of gravity that acts on the object. As the angle of the decline increases, the component of the force of gravity acting parallel to the incline also increases, resulting in a greater acceleration of the object.

5. Is the acceleration of an object on a decline affected by air resistance or friction?

Yes, the acceleration of an object on a decline can be affected by air resistance and friction. These external forces can act in the opposite direction of the object's motion, slowing down its acceleration. However, the effect of these forces is usually small and can be neglected in most cases.