Acceleration of a proton in an electric field

In summary, a proton with a mass of 1.67x10^-27 kg is accelerated from rest in a uniform electric field of 640 N/C. At a later time, its speed is 1.20 x 10^6 m/s. Using the equations F=qE and F=ma, the acceleration of the proton is found to be 6.13x10^10 m/s^2. However, at such high speeds, Newton's laws must be modified using relativity.
Walley1

Homework Statement

A proton (+e) accelerates from rest in a uniform electric field of 640 N/C. At some later time, the proton's speed is 1.20 x 10^6 m/s. Find the acceleration of the proton. The mass of a proton is 1.67x10^-27 kg. Charge on a proton is +1.6x10^-19C.

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=qE

The Attempt at a Solution

F=qE
F=ma
ma=qE
(1.6x10^-19)(640)=(1.67x10^-27)(a)
a=6.13x10^10m/s^2

I don't think this is correct. I ignored the (+e) because I didn't know what to do with it. Wouldn't an electron and a proton mean a net neutral charge? Also, the acceleration is just way too high. The particle would have to travel faster than the speed of light for a short time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Walley1 said:
I don't think this is correct.
Looks fine to me.
I ignored the (+e) because I didn't know what to do with it.
+e is just the proton's charge, which you used just fine. e is the elementary charge; the charge on an electron is -e, on a proton it's +e.

Wouldn't an electron and a proton mean a net neutral charge?
There's no electron in this problem.

Also, the acceleration is just way too high. The particle would have to travel faster than the speed of light for a short time.
The acceleration is high. Once the speed gets too high, Newton's laws must be modified using relativity. Note that the speed they quote is only a small fraction of light speed.

Okay. I thought that by +e the problem meant that the electron and the proton were a pair (as in a hydrogen atom). They just meant that the charge on a proton is the same as the charge on an electron, but positive. Thanks for clearing that up.

1. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of a proton in an electric field?

The formula for calculating the acceleration of a proton in an electric field is a = qE/m, where a is the acceleration in meters per second squared, q is the charge of the proton in coulombs, E is the strength of the electric field in volts per meter, and m is the mass of the proton in kilograms.

2. How does the strength of the electric field affect the acceleration of a proton?

The strength of the electric field directly affects the acceleration of the proton. As the strength of the electric field increases, the acceleration of the proton will also increase. This is because the electric field exerts a force on the proton, causing it to accelerate in the direction of the field.

3. What factors can affect the acceleration of a proton in an electric field?

The acceleration of a proton in an electric field can be affected by several factors. These include the strength of the electric field, the charge and mass of the proton, and the presence of any other charged particles in the surrounding environment.

4. How does the direction of the electric field affect the acceleration of a proton?

The direction of the electric field can affect the acceleration of a proton. If the electric field is pointing in the same direction as the proton's initial velocity, the proton will experience a positive acceleration. However, if the electric field is pointing in the opposite direction, the proton will experience a negative acceleration, also known as deceleration.

5. Can the acceleration of a proton in an electric field be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a proton in an electric field can be negative. This occurs when the electric field is pointing in the opposite direction of the proton's initial velocity. In this case, the proton will experience a deceleration and its acceleration value will be negative.