Acceleration of a rotational and translational system

In summary: A.OKSo aA = αA . r2 that is used in the equation of Newton's law (ΣF = m.a) is the acceleration with respect to...?with respect to the center of object A. Yes.
songoku

Homework Statement

Find the acceleration of each object. Note: the question mark in the diagram should be θ (angle of inclined plane)
Untitled1.jpg

2. Homework Equations

τ = F . r
Στ = I . α
α = a / R
ΣF = m . a

The Attempt at a Solution

For object A:
ΣF = m . a
TA - WA sin θ = mA . aA
TA - mA . g. sin θ = mA . αA . r1

Στ = IA . αA
TA . r1 = IA . αAFor object B:
ΣF = m . a
WB - TB = mB . aB
mB . g - TB = mB . αpulley . r3For pulley:
Στ = Ipulley . αpulley
TB . r3 - TA . r4 = Ipulley . αpulleyMy questions:
1. Are my equations above correct?

2. Is it correct that αA ≠ αpulley?

3. Can I state that aA = αA . r1 = αpulley . r4?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
My questions:
1. Are my equations above correct?
If object A rolls without slipping, there is a force on A that helps prevent slipping which you left out.

2. Is it correct that αA ≠ αpulley?
Yes! That's correct.

3. Can I state that aA = αA . r1 = αpulley . r4?
No.

For the first equality, you have aA = αA r1. Is r1 the radius that you should use here? Consider the condition for rolling without slipping of a wheel.

For the second equality, you have aA = αpulley r4. The relation between aA and αpulley is a little more complicated than this. (I assume that aA represents the acceleration of the center of object A.) It might help to consider the two colored spots painted on the sloping string shown below
upload_2016-11-28_21-13-1.png
Are the linear accelerations of the red and blue spots the same?

Last edited:
Likes songoku
TSny said:
If object A rolls without slipping, there is a force on A that helps prevent slipping which you left out.

You mean friction between A and the plane? Can the torque for rolling being produced by tension A only?

No. No.

So, αA will be the same as αpulley?

For the first equality, you have aA = αA r1. Is r1 the radius that you should use here? Consider the condition for rolling without slipping of a wheel.
I am not sure I get the hint. Is it correct if I use r2 instead of r1 because r2 is the radius of rolling?

For the second equality, you have aA = αpulley r4. The relation between aA and αpulley is a little more complicated than this. (I assume that aA represents the acceleration of the center of object A.) It might help to consider the two colored spots painted on the sloping string shown below
View attachment 109619Are the linear accelerations of the red and blue spots the same?

I don't think the linear accelerations of the red and blue spots are the same. The linear acceleration of blue spot should be higher than red spot because blue spot will cover more distance in one rotation. The ratio of their linear accelerations will be the same as the ratio of their radius? (ared / ablue = r1 / r4?Can I also state that aA / aB = r1 / r3?

Thanks

songoku said:
You mean friction between A and the plane?
Yes.
Can the torque for rolling being produced by tension A only?
For general values of the masses, etc., it seems unlikely that the friction force would be zero.

So, αA will be the same as αpulley?
No, they won't be the same. Sorry, when I read this part of your post I saw the symbol =, whereas you actually had ≠. I edited my earlier post.

I am not sure I get the hint. Is it correct if I use r2 instead of r1 because r2 is the radius of rolling?
Yes, that's right.

I don't think the linear accelerations of the red and blue spots are the same.
Note that there is a fixed length of string between the two dots. We assume the string cannot stretch.

Can I also state that aA / aB = r1 / r3?
No.

Likes songoku
TSny said:
Yes.
For general values of the masses, etc., it seems unlikely that the friction force would be zero.

If friction is considered, the equation will be:
ΣF = m . a
TA - mA . g. sin θ - friction = mA . aA
TA - mA . g. sin θ - friction = mA . αA . r2

Στ = IA . αA
TA . r1 + f . r2 = IA . αA

Note that there is a fixed length of string between the two dots. We assume the string cannot stretch.

No.
Are their linear accelerations the same? They both have different angular accelerations and radius so it is possible for them to have same linear acceleration?

Thanks

songoku said:
If friction is considered, the equation will be:
ΣF = m . a
TA - mA . g. sin θ - friction = mA . aA
TA - mA . g. sin θ - friction = mA . αA . r2

Στ = IA . αA
TA . r1 + f . r2 = IA . αA
Yes.

Are their linear accelerations the same? They both have different angular accelerations and radius so it is possible for them to have same linear acceleration?
Yes. Yes.

TSny said:
Yes.

Yes. Yes.

Object with radius r3 and r4 will have same α, so:
ablue / aB = r4 / r3 ; ablue = ared = αA . r2

aB = αA . r2 . r3 / r4

songoku said:
ablue / aB = r4 / r3
OK

ablue = ared = αA . r2
ared ≠ αA . r2
αA . r2 gives the acceleration of the red dot relative to the center of object A. But ared denotes the acceleration of the red dot relative to the earth.

Likes songoku
TSny said:
OK

ared ≠ αA . r2
αA . r2 gives the acceleration of the red dot relative to the center of object A. But ared denotes the acceleration of the red dot relative to the earth.

So aA = αA . r2 that is used in the equation of Newton's law (ΣF = m.a) is the acceleration with respect to the center of object A, not with respect to earth?

aB = αpulley . r3
ablue . r3 / r4 = αpulley . r3
ablue = αpulley . r4
ared = αpulley . r4

ared / aA = r1 / r2 ?

Thanks

songoku said:
So aA = αA . r2 that is used in the equation of Newton's law (ΣF = m.a) is the acceleration with respect to the center of object A, not with respect to earth?
aA is the acceleration of the center of object A relative to the earth. For rolling without slipping, aA = αA . r2 .
upload_2016-11-29_11-40-12.png

aB = αpulley . r3
ablue . r3 / r4 = αpulley . r3
ablue = αpulley . r4
ared = αpulley . r4
All of this looks good.

ared / aA = r1 / r2 ?
This is not correct.
One way to get the relation between ared and aA is to use the idea of relative motion. You can think of the (tangential) acceleration of the red point with respect to the Earth as the (tangential) acceleration of the red point relative to the center of object A plus the acceleration of the center of object A with respect to the earth:
ared = ared/A + aA.

Likes songoku
TSny said:
This is not correct.
One way to get the relation between ared and aA is to use the idea of relative motion. You can think of the (tangential) acceleration of the red point with respect to the Earth as the (tangential) acceleration of the red point relative to the center of object A plus the acceleration of the center of object A with respect to the earth:
ared = ared/A + aA.

ared/A = αA . r1

ared = ared/A + aA
ared = αA . r1 + aA
ared = (aA / r2) . r1 + aA
aA = ared . r2 / (r1 + r2) ; ared = ablue = aB . r4 / r3
aA = aB . r2 . r4 / ((r1 + r2) . r3)

Is this correct?

Thanks

songoku said:
aA = aB . r2 . r4 / ((r1 + r2) . r3)

Is this correct?
Yes. Good.

TSny said:
Yes. Good.

and the relation between αA and αpulley:

αpulley = αA . (r1 + r2) / r4 ?

I have another question similar to this one. I will do it first and then post it again. Thanks

Untitled.png

Let the red spot and blue spot the same as question before:
ared = ablue = aC

ared = aA . (r1 + r2) / r2
aC = aA . (r1 + r2) / r2

aB / r3 = aC / r4
aB = aA . (r1 + r2) . r3 / (r2 . r4)

αpulley = αA . (r1 + r2) / r4

Is this good?

Thanks

songoku said:
and the relation between αA and αpulley:

αpulley = αA . (r1 + r2) / r4 ?
Looks right.

songoku said:
Let the red spot and blue spot the same as question before:
ared = ablue = aC

ared = aA . (r1 + r2) / r2
aC = aA . (r1 + r2) / r2

aB / r3 = aC / r4
aB = aA . (r1 + r2) . r3 / (r2 . r4)

αpulley = αA . (r1 + r2) / r4
I think that's all correct.

Untitled2.png

Let red spot is the center of object and blue spot is the point where the tension touches object B

ared = ablue = aA

aA = αA . rA

ablue = 2 aB , so aA = 2 aB

Then:
aA = 2 aB
αA . rA = 2 . αB . rB

and: αpulley = αA . rA / rPIs this correct? Sorry for the trouble. My teacher didn't teach about this type of question but this is given as practice for the test today. Thanks

songoku said:
Let red spot is the center of object and blue spot is the point where the tension touches object B

ared = ablue = aA

aA = αA . rA

ablue = 2 aB , so aA = 2 aB

Then:
aA = 2 aB
αA . rA = 2 . αB . rB

and: αpulley = αA . rA / rPIs this correct?

It all looks correct to me. Good luck on your test!

TSny said:
It all looks correct to me. Good luck on your test!

The question that came out was the third picture I posted and unfortunately the teacher aA = aB without any further explanation why...Thank you very much for your help TSny

songoku said:
The question that came out was the third picture I posted and unfortunately the teacher aA = aB without any further explanation why...

Because of string constraint , the acceleration of center of A is equal to the acceleration of the topmost point of B .

songoku said:
The question that came out was the third picture I posted and unfortunately the teacher aA = aB without any further explanation why...
As conscience stated, and as you showed in post #17, the acceleration of the center of A equals the acceleration of the point where the string meets the top of B. If the teacher stated that aA = aB, could it be that "B" refers to the top of mB? Anyway, I still think your analysis in post 17 is correct.

1. What is the difference between rotational and translational acceleration?

Rotational acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity of a rotating object, while translational acceleration is the rate of change of linear velocity of an object moving in a straight line. In other words, rotational acceleration describes the change in the direction of an object's motion, while translational acceleration describes the change in its speed.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of a rotational and translational system?

The rotational acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time, while the translational acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in linear velocity by the change in time. Both can be expressed as a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, v is velocity, and t is time.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a rotational and translational system?

The acceleration of a rotational and translational system can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the force applied to it, and the distribution of mass around the object's axis of rotation. Friction, air resistance, and the object's shape can also affect its acceleration.

4. How does the acceleration of a rotational and translational system relate to its kinetic energy?

The acceleration of a rotational and translational system is directly related to its kinetic energy. As the object accelerates, its kinetic energy increases, and as it decelerates, its kinetic energy decreases. This relationship is described by the equation KE = 1/2mv², where KE is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity.

5. Can the acceleration of a rotational and translational system be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a rotational and translational system can be negative. This means that the object is decelerating, or slowing down, in the direction of its motion. Negative acceleration can also occur when the object is accelerating in the opposite direction of its motion, such as when a car is slowing down while moving forward.