Disk connected to another object through a pulley on an incline

In summary: Yes, that is correct. Now, what is the relationship between T and the force of static friction? And what is the relationship between the normal force N and the weight of the disk?
songoku

Homework Statement

A disk of radius r and mass m is placed on an incline which makes an angle of 30 degree. The disk is suspended by a string attached to its center and a mass 3m is hung at the other end. The surface of incline is rough with the coefficient of static and kinetic friction denoted as μs and μk respectively. Assume that the string and the pulley does not have any friction and the pulley does not rotate.
a. find the linear acceleration of the disk when the disk rolls without slipping
b. for (a) to happen, find the condition of μs
c. when the condition of (b) is not met, the disk starts rolling but with sliding. Find a relative acceleration between the linear and angular acceleration, i.e. sliding acceleration against the surface of incline
asd.png

Homework Equations

torque = I . α
∑F = m.a

The Attempt at a Solution

a.
For the 3m object:
∑F = m.a
W - T = 3ma
3mg - T = 3ma ... (1)

For the disk:
∑F = m.a
T - f - W sin θ = m.a
T - μk N - mg sin θ = m.a
T - μk . mg cos θ - mg sin θ = m.a ... (2)

I just need to solve for a from equation (1) and (2). Is this correct?b.
Στ = I.α
f . r = 1/2 mr2 . a/r (I assume moment of inertia of disk is 1/2 Mr2
μs . mg cos θ . r = 1/2 mr2 . a/r (I am not sure about this part. The disk is moving so why don't we use μk instead?)

μs = 0.5 a / (g cos θ) then I substitute the acceleration I got from part (a). Is this correct?

c. I am not sure what the question asks me to do. Won't the equation be the same as part (a)? What is "relative acceleration between the linear and angular acceleration"? Is it linear acceleration minus angular acceleration?

Thanks

Attachments

• asd.png
    asd.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
T - μk N - mg sin θ = m.a
The disk is rolling, not sliding. What equation relates normal force to the force of static friction? Be careful, there's a very commonly made mistake.
songoku said:
I just need to solve for a from equation (1) and (2). Is this correct?
No, when you have corrected your equation (2) you will find you need a third equation. What else applies for a rotating disk?
songoku said:
The disk is moving so why don't we use μk instead?
It is moving but not sliding, so it is static friction, not kinetic.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
The disk is rolling, not sliding. What equation relates normal force to the force of static friction? Be careful, there's a very commonly made mistake.
So I need to change the friction into static?

T - μs mg cos θ - mg sin θ = m.a

Solving for a, I get:
a = 1/4 * (3g - μs g cos θ - g sin θ)

No, when you have corrected your equation (2) you will find you need a third equation. What else applies for a rotating disk?

Do I need another equation? I think I already get the acceleration

It is moving but not sliding, so it is static friction, not kinetic.
Sorry, why we use static friction when it is not sliding?

Thanks

songoku said:
So I need to change the friction into static?
Yes.
songoku said:
I think I already get the acceleration
No, as I wrote, your equation 2 is wrong.
I ask again, what equation relates normal force to the force of static friction? Hint: consider a body standing on a level surface, with no applied lateral force. What is the frictional force there? Does your equation fit that?
songoku said:
why we use static friction when it is not sliding?
Friction is all about relative motion of the surfaces in contact. If there is no relative motion (as in rolling without sliding) it is static friction.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
No, as I wrote, your equation 2 is wrong.
I ask again, what equation relates normal force to the force of static friction? Hint: consider a body standing on a level surface, with no applied lateral force. What is the frictional force there? Does your equation fit that?
Static friction = μs . N

For a body standing on a level surface with no applied force (the body is stationary), the static friction will be zero?

Friction is all about relative motion of the surfaces in contact. If there is no relative motion (as in rolling without sliding) it is static friction.
How to determine whether there is relative motion or not? In my mind, the position of the disk changes with respect to the surface (just like when the disk rolls and slipping) so there is relative motion?

Thanks

songoku said:
Static friction = μs . N
No, that is the common blunder.
songoku said:
For a body standing on a level surface with no applied force (the body is stationary), the static friction will be zero?
Right, but that shows your equation above must be wrong.
songoku said:
How to determine whether there is relative motion or not? In my mind, the position of the disk changes with respect to the surface (just like when the disk rolls and slipping) so there is relative motion?
By definition, rolling motion is when there is no relative motion between the surfaces in contact.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
No, that is the common blunder.
You mean there is other equation or it should be just zero?

If there is other equation, certainly I do not know the equation. What I know is the formula of static or kinetic friction is the coefficient times normal force

songoku said:
You mean there is other equation or it should be just zero?

If there is other equation, certainly I do not know the equation. What I know is the formula of static or kinetic friction is the coefficient times normal force
For static friction, ##F_s\leq\mu_s N##
For another equation:
songoku said:

Homework Equations

torque = I . α

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
For static friction, ##F_s\leq\mu_s N##
For another equation:
I am not sure if I get the hint but let me try:

For 3m object:
3mg - T = 3ma
T = 3mg - 3ma

For disk:
T - mg sin θ = ma

Is it correct until this part?

Thanks

songoku said:
T - mg sin θ = ma
No, you have left out friction.
My hint quoted a torque and angular acceleration equation. What will be rotating? What is the relationship between its angular acceleration and its linear acceleration? What is the torque on it?

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
No, you have left out friction.
My hint quoted a torque and angular acceleration equation. What will be rotating? What is the relationship between its angular acceleration and its linear acceleration? What is the torque on it?
OK let me starts over:

a)
For disk:
ΣF = m.a
T - fs - mg sin θ = m.a ...(2)

Στ = I . α
fs . r = 1/2 mr2 . a/r
fs = 1/2 m.a ...(3)

Subs (3) into (2): T - 1/2 m.a - mg sin θ = m.a ...(4)

Then I solve for a using equation (4) and equation (1)? (equation 1: 3mg - T = 3ma)b)
fs = 1/2 m.a
μs . N = 1/2 m.a
μs . mg cos θ = 1/2 m.a

Solve for μs and then subs the acceleration from answer part (a). Is this correct?c) No idea what the question is asking

Thanks

songoku said:
Then I solve for a using equation (4) and equation (1)? (equation 1: 3mg - T = 3ma)
Yes.
songoku said:
b)
fs = 1/2 m.a
μs . N = 1/2 m.a
You are still not getting my point here. You have again presumed fssN.
Look at the equation (inequality) I gave you in post #8. This is the correct formula relating normal force to frictional force in the case of static friction. It does not tell you exactly what the static frictional force is; it only sets an upper bound. The actual frictional force is anything up to μsN.
If you use that you will get a bound on μs, and that is what the question is asking for. It gives you the minimum value of the coefficient for rolling without sliding.
songoku said:
c) No idea what the question is asking
I find the question wording a little unusual. It distinguishes between rolling without sliding (part a) and rolling with sliding (part c). The more usual terminology is that rolling means it is not sliding, and what the question calls rolling with sliding I would call rotating with sliding.

In part a you used rα=a. That is only true for rolling without sliding, so for part c you need a different equation.
Instead, the relationship between kinetic frictional force and normal force is an equality: fkkN.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
You are still not getting my point here. You have again presumed fssN.
Look at the equation (inequality) I gave you in post #8. This is the correct formula relating normal force to frictional force in the case of static friction. It does not tell you exactly what the static frictional force is; it only sets an upper bound. The actual frictional force is anything up to μsN.
If you use that you will get a bound on μs, and that is what the question is asking for. It gives you the minimum value of the coefficient for rolling without sliding

Ahhh ok I see. That's what it means by condition for μs

I find the question wording a little unusual. It distinguishes between rolling without sliding (part a) and rolling with sliding (part c). The more usual terminology is that rolling means it is not sliding, and what the question calls rolling with sliding I would call rotating with sliding.

In part a you used rα=a. That is only true for rolling without sliding, so for part c you need a different equation.
Instead, the relationship between kinetic frictional force and normal force is an equality: fkkN.

If it rotates, doesn't it mean that the object not sliding and if it sliding doesn't it mean that it is not rotating?
Is it possible the object rotating while sliding?
It is easy to imagine the object sliding without rotating but how to imagine rotating without sliding and with sliding? I mean how will the object move in case of
rotating without sliding and with sliding?

So for object 3m it is still the same:
3mg - T = 3ma ... (1)

For disk:
∑F = m.a
T - fk - W sin θ = m.a
T - μk N - mg sin θ = m.a ...(2)

Στ = I . α
fk . r = 1/2 mr2 . α ...(3)

I can't change α to a/r and I don't know what other equation I should use

Thanks

songoku said:
Is it possible the object rotating while sliding?
Yes. If a disk radius r is moving at speed v relative to the ground surface and rotating ("forwards") at angular speed ω then the point in contact with the ground is moving at speed v-rω relative to the ground. It is rolling (i.e. not sliding) if and only if v-rω=0.
songoku said:
I don't know what other equation I should use
Use N=mg cos(θ), as in your post #1.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Use N=mg cos(θ), as in your post #1.

OK I use that equation to find fk in terms of μk but what should I change α to?

And what exactly the question in (c) asking me to find?

Thanks

songoku said:
what should I change α to?
You do not change it to anything. You need to find it.
You have four equations now and five unknowns: T, fk, a, α and N, and you have five equations. Solve to find a and α.
songoku said:
what exactly the question in (c) asking me to find?
It is asking for the relative acceleration between the disk and the ground at the point of contact.
If the centre of the disk is accelerating at rate a, and the (forward) angular acceleration is α, what is the linear acceleration (in the upslope direction) of the point on the disk which is touching the ground?

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
You do not change it to anything. You need to find it.
You have four equations now and five unknowns: T, fk, a, α and N, and you have five equations. Solve to find a and α.

It is asking for the relative acceleration between the disk and the ground at the point of contact.
If the centre of the disk is accelerating at rate a, and the (forward) angular acceleration is α, what is the linear acceleration (in the upslope direction) of the point on the disk which is touching the ground?
I am really sorry but I still don't understand. Let say I already get the a and α, so my answer to question (c) is these two accelerations? The question asks me to find a and α separately?

Thanks

songoku said:
I am really sorry but I still don't understand. Let say I already get the a and α, so my answer to question (c) is these two accelerations? The question asks me to find a and α separately?

Thanks
If the angular acceleration of the disk, in a "forward" direction, is α then the top of the disk is accelerating by αr telative to the centre of the disk, and the bottom of the disk is accelerating by -αr relative to the centre.
If the disk centre is accelerating at rate a relative to the ground then the bottom of the disk is accelerating at rate a-αr relative to the ground. The question is asking you to find a-αr.

Likes songoku
I am really sorry for late reply. Thank you very much for the help

1. How does a pulley on an incline affect the motion of a disk connected to another object?

A pulley on an incline can change the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on the disk and the other object. The incline can also create a component of the force of gravity that helps to move the objects.

2. What is the purpose of the pulley in this scenario?

The pulley allows for the force of gravity to be redirected, making it easier for the objects to move. It also helps to decrease the amount of force needed to move the objects, making it more efficient.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of the objects?

The angle of the incline can determine the amount of force needed to move the objects. A steeper incline will require more force, while a shallower incline will require less force. It can also affect the direction of the motion of the objects.

4. Can the pulley on an incline be used to lift objects?

Yes, a pulley on an incline can be used to lift objects. By redirecting the force of gravity, the pulley can make it easier to lift objects that may be too heavy to lift without the use of a pulley.

5. Are there any real-life applications for a disk connected to another object through a pulley on an incline?

Yes, this setup can be seen in various machines and systems, such as elevators, cranes, and even exercise equipment. It is also used in physics experiments to study the principles of motion and forces.